Please help... worried

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Just came home from work. We switched Duke over Saturday to Natures Variety instinct beef and lamb, bowels have been perfect, he has been fine. Today he had to go right out and had very runny bowels and then was squatting and actually had some blood come out? I am really worried.. do you think this is from food? this is day 6 and bowels have been normal every day until now. the blood just scared me? not alot maybe a tablespoon. he is fine otherwise. just ate and is running around like normal? thoughts??

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]..I always panic at blood in stools..my vet said it can be from lots of different treasons..like people..not many of them are that worrisome..like people..but I would call the vet. Probably want a fecal sample. Something could be irritating him.don't panic..but to make yourself feel better..I would call vet.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson has had it before and I always figure with stuff like that if it doesn't continue past one or two poo's in a row that he should be fine. And everytime it has happened with Samson is was just that, once or twice then it didn't happen again and he was fine. [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] wrote about this happening to Cutty not that long ago, let me go find that thread.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Okay - NOT normal but don't freak out. Bad diarrhea can cause bleeding due to inflammation around the rectum and anus. It is not "desirable" but it is also not dangerous as long as it's not too much. (I've taken my bully to the vet for blood in diarrhea only to be told it's kind of normal for dogs and people who have really bad diarrhea.)

Now, it sounds like this could be due to something other than the food. The reason I suspect this is because it came on so quick, after all the other poops were normal. However, how slowly did you transition Duke to the new food? Has he eaten or gotten into anything else?

Another thing is that he's a puppy and I don't know one of us on the board that hasn't had an problem with diarrhea in our pups at least a couple times. So horrible but so common. It sounds like you should let him empty out and start a bland diet once things settle down. At that point, his stools should firm up and you can start mixing in his regular kibble. If his stools stay loose, you should take him to the vet for a fecal exam to check for giardia or any one of the bunch of things puppies tend to get during their formative months when their immune systems aren't yet fully developed.

Poor Baby Duke! Feel better!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Also I just remembered..my daughters golden just experienced a bout of this..was a problem with his anal glands. Just a thought? Sorry..

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
you guys are great.. thank you for calming me down ( although I am still worried ) called the vet and he said the same as you all did.. see how next two poops are..I went out and looked in the yard.. the first poop was very soft ( Duke has never had this ) then when he squatted it was just a tiny diarrhea and the blood. I have had him out twice since he ate and he runs to the door and looks at me like I am insane because he just went. I will keep my eye on him closely for the night.. we did change him over slowly mixing 1/2 the old food with 1/2 the new.. bowels were very normal.. then starting yesterday we gave him all new.. yesterday morning, night and this morning bowels were fine? I will keep you posted. I Love him soooo much and get so worried about this stuff.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Okay - NOT normal but don't freak out. Bad diarrhea can cause bleeding due to inflammation around the rectum and anus. It is not "desirable" but it is also not dangerous as long as it's not too much. (I've taken my bully to the vet for blood in diarrhea only to be told it's kind of normal for dogs and people who have really bad diarrhea.)

Now, it sounds like this could be due to something other than the food. The reason I suspect this is because it came on so quick, after all the other poops were normal. However, how slowly did you transition Duke to the new food? Has he eaten or gotten into anything else?

Another thing is that he's a puppy and I don't know one of us on the board that hasn't had an problem with diarrhea in our pups at least a couple times. So horrible but so common. It sounds like you should let him empty out and start a bland diet once things settle down. At that point, his stools should firm up and you can start mixing in his regular kibble. If his stools stay loose, you should take him to the vet for a fecal exam to check for giardia or any one of the bunch of things puppies tend to get during their formative months when their immune systems aren't yet fully developed.

Poor Baby Duke! Feel better!

do you think we transitioned him too quickly?? this is day 6 he went 100 % yesterday.. morning, night and today up until now bowels were perfect?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
you guys are great.. thank you for calming me down ( although I am still worried ) called the vet and he said the same as you all did.. see how next two poops are..I went out and looked in the yard.. the first poop was very soft ( Duke has never had this ) then when he squatted it was just a tiny diarrhea and the blood. I have had him out twice since he ate and he runs to the door and looks at me like I am insane because he just went. I will keep my eye on him closely for the night.. we did change him over slowly mixing 1/2 the old food with 1/2 the new.. bowels were very normal.. then starting yesterday we gave him all new.. yesterday morning, night and this morning bowels were fine? I will keep you posted. I Love him soooo much and get so worried about this stuff.

Totally understandable!

I am skeptical this is due to diet because of the sudden onset so I would see how he does on the bland diet and go from there.

Don't feed him again until the diarrhea stops. Once he's not going anymore, start him on the bland diet. If he does well with that and produces a normal poop, then start mixing the bland diet with his kibble. If he has a normal bowel movement on that, then start him eating normally again.

If the bland diet doesn't help or helps only temporarily, he'll probably need a vet visit to see what's going on. Something VERY similar happened to Truman when he was Baby Duke's age and he was on an antibiotic for a couple days and it cleared things up.

Hang in there - bullies with the poops are no fun!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
do you think we transitioned him too quickly?? this is day 6 he went 100 % yesterday.. morning, night and today up until now bowels were perfect?

It sounds like you did it slow enough. I'm not convinced this is diet related. Did he have any gas during the transition? Typically, you'll get warning signs if things are going sideways with the new diet.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Totally understandable!

I am skeptical this is due to diet because of the sudden onset so I would see how he does on the bland diet and go from there.

Don't feed him again until the diarrhea stops. Once he's not going anymore, start him on the bland diet. If he does well with that and produces a normal poop, then start mixing the bland diet with his kibble. If he has a normal bowel movement on that, then start him eating normally again.

If the bland diet doesn't help or helps only temporarily, he'll probably need a vet visit to see what's going on. Something VERY similar happened to Truman when he was Baby Duke's age and he was on an antibiotic for a couple days and it cleared things up.

Hang in there - bullies with the poops are no fun!

ok thank you again.. will keep you guys posted.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
This can happen...but if you have been having a wet season as we have lately...with rain some dogs can pick up parasites as well...just keep a watch out as everyone else stated...but I don't think it's food related either...

By the way...I just LOVE Duke's facial markings...reminds me a bit of our Tank with the larger patch on the side of his face like that...

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
It sounds like you did it slow enough. I'm not convinced this is diet related. Did he have any gas during the transition? Typically, you'll get warning signs if things are going sideways with the new diet.

no no gas at all. I don't think it is diet either, just concerned. its about 2 hours later.. had him out three times and all he did was pee

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
When Cutty had this I never did figure out what the cause was. Must have been like people have if they tear while :poo: it can leave blood. It is scary tho cuz there is no way of knowing for sure with them. Hopefully the rest of the poos have been good now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Any more bad poops? Hope he is better today!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online