OptimisticBully

Sep 3, 2018
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Kobieski ( Scott)
78E725E8-85EC-4B12-8E9B-A7A4CE6F59F6.jpegB0CB6CE1-6D0C-4401-9751-E5F906689FE4.jpeg9BBA8D59-14A3-4C83-8856-7378A96DC42F.jpeg

Our little boy has been having this skin issue from quite some time. Photos above. It improved when I switched from RC to Famina N & D. Off lately since the past two weeks itā€™s been getting worse.

The spots are scaly and flaking, he is loosing a lot of hair.

Please give me some advice on any natural remedies that I could use for him. Thanks so much.

Heā€™ll be 8 months on the 6th.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would take him to the vet to do a skin scrape... it could be mange, and you definitely want to get started w/treatment ASAP.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Like ddnene said...see Vet. Skin scrape will determine cause and best course of treatment.
If I had to guess I'd say it's simple Staph. Most cases of Mange start on face, top of head, or front legs and slowly work back. Regardless, please report back what your Vet determines.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Agree...have vet do skin scrape.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree- go to vet. It will get worse if you do not go....

OP
O

OptimisticBully

Sep 3, 2018
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Kobieski ( Scott)
I had taken him to the vet in the past for this. Actually went to two vets.
First, he went on some orally antibiotics and anti allergic meds. That time he had some skin issues on his hind legs.

Next, I took him to another vet ( a clinic with multiple docs), he said that there was no need to worry, it was due his immunity being low, since he had been recently vaccinated. Said it was folliculitis / superficial bacterial dermatitis and prescribed cetrizine for a week.

Again when we went to the clinic, they took a skin scrape and a blood smear. He had a bacterial infection, so an antibiotic cream was prescribed. (During this time the spots where he had lost his hair, were red and had formed pustules.)

On a follow up visit, the vet discontinued all antibiotics and prescribed cetrizine for 2 weeks. This was in late August. Told us not to worry and said that it would clear off when he matures.

Later, I gave him some natural tabs for skin infections; his skin issues on his hind legs cleared off and hasnā€™t come back.

As of now, there are no pustules. Just dry flakey skin and his hair is falling quite a lot.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
100 % staphylococcus skin infection. Very characteristic clinical picture. As you been to docs, itā€™s most probably not mange (if you still have doubts, switch your tickflea protection to Nexgard, it treats mange). But, as guys say, itā€™s not typical localisation for mange.
To my liking, it is quite spread and requires attention. Next stage is pustules and you donā€™t want to get there.
Treatment of staph skin infection is
1. Long term antibiotics orally (e.g. ciprofloxacin), several months.
2. Shampoo with Chlorhexidine and Ketoconazole, lather and leave dog for 10 15 minutes, then rinse.
3. Good quality Fish oil with high content of DHA and EPA
4. Probiotics
5. Vitamins A, E, and zinc.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
View attachment 114458View attachment 114460View attachment 114459

Our little boy has been having this skin issue from quite some time. Photos above. It improved when I switched from RC to Famina N & D. Off lately since the past two weeks itā€™s been getting worse.

The spots are scaly and flaking, he is loosing a lot of hair.

Please give me some advice on any natural remedies that I could use for him. Thanks so much.

Heā€™ll be 8 months on the 6th.

Since he is under a year I would get to the vet for a skin scrape to rule out manage... but I agree looks more like a staph infection. You are on a very good food, but he needs his immune system boosted and will need an antibiotic to clear the infection.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had taken him to the vet in the past for this. Actually went to two vets.
First, he went on some orally antibiotics and anti allergic meds. That time he had some skin issues on his hind legs.

Next, I took him to another vet ( a clinic with multiple docs), he said that there was no need to worry, it was due his immunity being low, since he had been recently vaccinated. Said it was folliculitis / superficial bacterial dermatitis and prescribed cetrizine for a week.

Again when we went to the clinic, they took a skin scrape and a blood smear. He had a bacterial infection, so an antibiotic cream was prescribed. (During this time the spots where he had lost his hair, were red and had formed pustules.)

On a follow up visit, the vet discontinued all antibiotics and prescribed cetrizine for 2 weeks. This was in late August. Told us not to worry and said that it would clear off when he matures.

Later, I gave him some natural tabs for skin infections; his skin issues on his hind legs cleared off and hasnā€™t come back.

As of now, there are no pustules. Just dry flakey skin and his hair is falling quite a lot.

add a probiotic to his diet... if you have raw goats milk, fresh sauerkraut or order herbsmith flora from Amazon, if you can get it

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Try Curaseb Chlorhexidine Shampoo 4% formula. Has to be 4% and you have to leave it on for 10 minutes. We struggled with this for over a year, spent tons of money trying various remedies, and this solved the problem. You can get it on amazon.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When Castor has had staph infections, the vet has told us to use chlorehexidine shampoo and as advised above leave on for ten minutes. Our vet said they don't prescribe antibiotics for staph infections (but that might depend on the degree, of course - Castor just looked moth eaten here and there).

OP
O

OptimisticBully

Sep 3, 2018
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Kobieski ( Scott)
Thanks a lot for all the responses.

Can someone please guide me on how to give vit a, vit e and zinc as @ Lalaloopise has stated. What would be the dosage?

I give him a probiotic daily, along with some fish oils.

OP
O

OptimisticBully

Sep 3, 2018
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Kobieski ( Scott)
Try Curaseb Chlorhexidine Shampoo 4% formula. Has to be 4% and you have to leave it on for 10 minutes. We struggled with this for over a year, spent tons of money trying various remedies, and this solved the problem. You can get it on amazon.

I use use this shampoo, but Iā€™m only able to get a 2% formula. Will look out for 4%. Thanks for the tip!

OP
O

OptimisticBully

Sep 3, 2018
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Kobieski ( Scott)
Our vet here is the same. He wonā€™t prescribe any meds for the skin infection, only cetrizine. And baths with two shampoos, each to be left for 10 min.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.