??? Rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane) for EB Skin Infection

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Hi - Just wondering if any one has ever administered Rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane) as an antibotic for their EBs... Vet says it is an older drug that she is not used to using but it was the only drug that killed the skin infection sample from Sarge's feet at the lab :(.

I'm really nervous because she said the ONLY animal that has ever been given this medicine from her office was a horse... and there is a lot of differences between a horse and an english bulldog!!

I did find some other information on the internet which made me even more nervous because it said it "reacts" with two medications (prednisone and ketoconazole) that my dog is on and my vet didn't even notice that until I mentioned it... luckily the reaction would only have been decreased effects of those other meds and not some terrible reaction but still...:down:

Plus a 2 week supply is $150-$250 and she thinks he might have to be on it for 4-8 weeks...

Thoughts or suggestions? :confused:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have never heard of this medication but it sounds like your concerns are valid.

I agree with you that getting a second opinion might be the way to go here, particularly since the recommended medication is so expensive and potentially risky.

What was the diagnosis? What does Sarge have going on with his skin?

You might want to check out the vet recommendations page to see if there are any vets our other members have used successfully in your area.

OP
SargeandGriffon

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
MRSA - I'm thinking of trying olive leaf oil or c-silver and then getting his feet tested again... all three of those costs combined would be cheaper than 2 weeks of that medicine and I'm much less nervous about them :/

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Ugh...how terrible.

Maybe [MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] can help? I wonder how things are going with her bully and the MRSA treatments?

Hopefully she can provide some assistance here.

L

Lucy-licious

is the MRSA in a wound?if its a surface infection I dont see how anti biotics would help.
if its not you could treat with a topical treatment :) Hibiscrub is used in our hospitals here in the UK to treat MRSA topically with very good effect.
I know I can buy it here in most chemists (Pharmacies) and on amazon.
you would apply it neat to the skin allow to dry for a few minutes then wipe off with a damp cloth
you could do this for a week then ask your vet to reswab

OP
SargeandGriffon

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Sarge had two really bad infected Inter-digital cysts that we had removed (one on each foot) and swabbed and when we got the results back there was the MRSA and E Coli... So vet started on Ciprofloxain and the lab kept testing the sample to see what would "kill" the MRSA and apparently that Rifampin worked. There are a few reasons I am hesitant to go on the Rifampin (Dr's little knowledge of the drug, $$) but the biggest reason is the feet LOOK fine - obviously a little swollen still because of irritation from the stitches but really they do not look oozy and there is no puss like there was before (and the Vet has not seen him again to see for herself what they look like). I just bought some CS spray that works topically but is meant to be swallowed (because I can't keep him from licking) and I take him back to the vet on Saturday for a recheck and I think I'm going to ask her to take another sample and if it comes back positive again for MRSA I will get a second opinion and then if it is the same I will buy the meds and try two weeks... Just not sure what else I can do. :(

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I feel your mood "stressed" and I feel for you.. Duke used to have cyst in his paws back before we had the allergies diagnosed. He took antibiotics and a steroid and it did clear up. Sorry I can't be more help on this med as I don't know anything about it.. I too would get a 2nd opinion. I agree with your game plan to wait until after the check up on Saturday. Good Luck to you !

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Hi guys!!! Norm has MRSA (it will NEVER go away... once they have it they always will) in his wounds. I went to a holistic vet and she said just to keep an eye on it his time. And ta-da... it's cleared up without antibiotics or ointments or anything. Of course, it's easier on the top of his head than on his feet. Every place I heard about giving antibiotics for MRSA, the outcome hasn't been all that good. That is why I went to the holistic vet. She said she has had numerous cases without a single death.

Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Oh, I forgot to add... people can get it from dogs... so if you touch it be sure to wash your hands well. Don't go near it if you have a sore or open wound, as you will get it too.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] - The holistic vet just told you to not put anything on the wounds, even CS and other natural stuff? So amazing that Norm cleared up!

@SargeandGriffon - Finding a holistic vet is another option if you'd like to avoid antibiotics and such.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi guys!!! Norm has MRSA (it will NEVER go away... once they have it they always will) in his wounds. I went to a holistic vet and she said just to keep an eye on it his time. And ta-da... it's cleared up without antibiotics or ointments or anything. Of course, it's easier on the top of his head than on his feet. Every place I heard about giving antibiotics for MRSA, the outcome hasn't been all that good. That is why I went to the holistic vet. She said she has had numerous cases without a single death.

Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions.

Well, this sounds encouraging...I didn't realize this was relatively common.

L

Lucy-licious

I looked at a few research papers about this today,
And they all said they used dressings soaked in rifampin to treat the MRSA with varying results.

I too find [MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION]'s news about Norm very reassuring and am very happy Norms wounds have cleared up :)

OP
SargeandGriffon

SargeandGriffon

Mar 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
Thanks [MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] and everyone else. I'm so glad Norm is feeling better! I think I will get the vet to look at the feet again and see if it is cleared up enough to not need the meds.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.