Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ??? Rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane) for EB Skin Infection

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog family View Post
    Hi guys!!! Norm has MRSA (it will NEVER go away... once they have it they always will) in his wounds. I went to a holistic vet and she said just to keep an eye on it his time. And ta-da... it's cleared up without antibiotics or ointments or anything. Of course, it's easier on the top of his head than on his feet. Every place I heard about giving antibiotics for MRSA, the outcome hasn't been all that good. That is why I went to the holistic vet. She said she has had numerous cases without a single death.

Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions.
    Well, this sounds encouraging...I didn't realize this was relatively common.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Lucy-licious

I looked at a few research papers about this today,
    And they all said they used dressings soaked in rifampin to treat the MRSA with varying results.

I too find @bulldog family's news about Norm very reassuring and am very happy Norms wounds have cleared up

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks @bulldog family and everyone else. I'm so glad Norm is feeling better! I think I will get the vet to look at the feet again and see if it is cleared up enough to not need the meds.
    I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

"Mom" to:
    Brussels Griffon/Maltese Mix - Griffon "Giffy" (Aug 2007)
    English Bulldog - Sergeant Mako "Sarge" (Aug 2008)
    Cats - "Big Kitty" and "Little Kitty"

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
    Likes (Received)

UPDATE:

Went to the vet this morning to remove stitches and Dr was amazed at "how well the medicine was working". Well, I informed her that I actually had not started the meds and was taking him off others she had him on and was just using the foot soak and CS- she is definitely skeptical and still insisted that I buy the other medication but I think I will wait a little longer and see if it clears up on it's own and if it doesn't look even better in 2-3 days I will go buy the expensive meds.

@bulldog family - how long did it take Norm's too heal up?
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 04-09-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: attempted to fix broken 'mention'
    I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

"Mom" to:

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sergeant Mako (Sarge)
    Likes (Received)

UPDATE:

After speaking to the pharmacist and him letting me know that this medicine is actually used on human infants and is not as damaging to his liver as the other medicine we had him on, I decided to give it a try. His feet seem to be improving still and he has not gotten sick ....... However this medicine is SO strange because it turns all body fluids ORANGE. It is the weirdest thing but completely normal but thank goodness the pharmacist warned me because his urine was the color of burnt orange and I would have freaked!

PS: not sure if this applies to all CVS pharmacies but Sarge's medicine was 40% cheaper buying from them rather than the vet and CVS has some type of animal medicine insurance that they applied to the meds as well. So that $150 the vet was charging was only $60 at CVS.

"Mom" to:

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Glad his feet are doing better. That is interesting about CVS. I have gone to Target Pharmacy for pet meds before and they were super cheap. I know some antibiotics, etc are even on the $3 or $4 list at Target and Walmart.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

@SargeandGriffon It tooks a few weeks to look better. It is still not 100% and probably won't ever be. Right now he has fur on his head, it just looks like we gave him a hair cut.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Glad to know that he is better now. We care so much for our Bullies and when we don't know what to do is the worst part about it. So many differeing opinions and treatment options. 2nd opinions and research are very important.
    That is good news !
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads