General Question When do you say goodbye?

cooperk123

Oct 17, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
My Bulldog is 8, but he is an old 8. He was a rescue and I did not know much of his health history. needless to say, 7 years later he has. Been the MOST expensive dog I have ever owned but worth every penny. I love him to pieces. Unfortunately, his eyes has been a major issue for years. Two surgeries, monthly vet visits for drops, steroids, pain killers etc. Eye ulcers, tumours, infections, etc. Right now he has a growth on one eye that despite a month and a half of drops is still there and there was an ulcer under it and ulcer on other eye. The opthamologist said he may have to have surgery to remove it, but 2 other vets have said he can not do surgery again due to his breathing issues. He is almost blind. His ears bother him, and he has hip dysplagia. I give him pain meds often. He sleeps most of the time and only goes for walks to do his business which are getting slower and slower! I guess im just looking for opinions.....am I being selfish keeping him when he could be in pain, or is he just a senior with extra special needs? Right now he gets drops 12X a day and hates to even see me come near him. My regular vet says as long as he isnt in pain hes fine, but this growth on his eye cant be great. Its hard to know when too say good bye. Im sure the day will come when i just KNOW but just throwing it out thre. TIA

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
this is always hard to hear :( and im so sorry your going through this. My thought is, you WILL know. Now, the other thing with that is some of us have a harder time listning :/ to them trying to let us know :( Im sure others will help more, but couldnt just leave without my condolences on your situation. All the best with love.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Bulldog is 8, but he is an old 8. He was a rescue and I did not know much of his health history. needless to say, 7 years later he has. Been the MOST expensive dog I have ever owned but worth every penny. I love him to pieces. Unfortunately, his eyes has been a major issue for years. Two surgeries, monthly vet visits for drops, steroids, pain killers etc. Eye ulcers, tumours, infections, etc. Right now he has a growth on one eye that despite a month and a half of drops is still there and there was an ulcer under it and ulcer on other eye. The opthamologist said he may have to have surgery to remove it, but 2 other vets have said he can not do surgery again due to his breathing issues. He is almost blind. His ears bother him, and he has hip dysplagia. I give him pain meds often. He sleeps most of the time and only goes for walks to do his business which are getting slower and slower! I guess im just looking for opinions.....am I being selfish keeping him when he could be in pain, or is he just a senior with extra special needs? Right now he gets drops 12X a day and hates to even see me come near him. My regular vet says as long as he isnt in pain hes fine, but this growth on his eye cant be great. Its hard to know when too say good bye. Im sure the day will come when i just KNOW but just throwing it out thre. TIA

First of all you’re not selfish! You’re doing everything by the book and yet it’s not improving and/or stable. Now this is MY opinion...if it was one of my dogs I would start using frankincense as it’s not toxic for dogs. I do a lot of oils on my dogs, house, myself etc... I would use a couple drops only above the eye like eyebrow area n rubs in the drops. Frankincense is had proven in studies n facts that it shrinks tumors and can kill cancer cells. I sure wouldn’t have anything to lose in a situation like so. Again that’s my opinion. I’m sure you’ll make the right decision.

https://draxe.com/frankincense-oil-cancer/

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First off.. thank you for rescuing and giving him a great loving home! You are doing all you can and you will know when it is time, he will tell you. Dogs are very resilient and he will adjust very well should he loss his sight.

Sending you tons of hugs, prayers and positive thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to read this... it's very hard when you have a senior pet. Christine is right though, you will know when it's time... just trust your gut. I want to Thank You for taking in a rescue, and giving him a loving home.

Members online

No members online now.