helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Thank you for the article! My dogs have never in all my years, had anything like this. It is horrible. terrible coughing,gagging and mucous. Times 5. Since we got up this a.m., I have been going here and there with paper towels and disinfectant cleaning up mucous! They caught this from Maude who had a lesser case(caught when she had surgery/still no results) and having a terrible time getting meds. into one "wise old owl!" She is impossible to fool. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] No, the Pyrs. do not have it-they don't hang with the "gang of 5". They are friends through the fence, but They probably have the best immune systems. I don't leave the prop with the 5, so they have yearly shots, but are relatively "sterile!"
I hope no one else has to go through this it is horrible for the dogs and the parent!( the vet office should have to pay for it-but I have to pay them!!) Lucky me! "When it rains it pours"-such a true old saying. Being alone-if not for you all at EBN, as one old neighbor used to say when I was a child , I would "take the gas" :yes:

If I have to give Benadryl to Duke, he’ll fish out the pill n drop it. He use to just gobble it up....Now I buy them little round baby bell cheese. I cut up the little BB in 1/4s n hide it in there. Works well.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Thank you for the article! My dogs have never in all my years, had anything like this. It is horrible. terrible coughing,gagging and mucous. Times 5. Since we got up this a.m., I have been going here and there with paper towels and disinfectant cleaning up mucous! They caught this from Maude who had a lesser case(caught when she had surgery/still no results) and having a terrible time getting meds. into one "wise old owl!" She is impossible to fool. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] No, the Pyrs. do not have it-they don't hang with the "gang of 5". They are friends through the fence, but They probably have the best immune systems. I don't leave the prop with the 5, so they have yearly shots, but are relatively "sterile!"
I hope no one else has to go through this it is horrible for the dogs and the parent!( the vet office should have to pay for it-but I have to pay them!!) Lucky me! "When it rains it pours"-such a true old saying. Being alone-if not for you all at EBN, as one old neighbor used to say when I was a child , I would "take the gas" :yes:

Dear Lynn, I am enraged and tearful, by turns, to hear of such undeserved misery!
If a tangible monster, you could ride out to slay it and even if it killed you, better than
these insidious, cowardly, sneaky jabs out of nowhere!

When I put Cami to sleep in Feb, I wanted so much to lay down beside her & go to sleep
with her! Anything but this long, slow, lonely decline without a good fight unto death.

None of this is fair, my darling girl and my heart is broken with you and for you,
I will beseech Almighty God for justice on your behalf and to annilate the forces of evil
that seek to destroy you as they did Job. And as God delivered the blameless Job, may He
also deliver you, my dearly loved sister...In Jesus Name, Amen & Amen!

I send tight, loving hugs to each of you and am with you in spirit, always. XOXO

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION]

Dearest Sue, I pray that precious Joey is recovering her good health.
Such worry for them just wears us out! Sending big, bully hugs to y'all, XOXO

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION]

Dearest Sue, I pray that precious Joey is recovering her good health.
Such worry for them just wears us out! Sending big, bully hugs to y'all, XOXO

Thank you so much!!! How blessed I am to have so many such as you here to guide me and pray for my dear Joey!! It got pretty humid here the past 2 days and the cough and reverse sneezing was a bit more frequent. COLDER weather coming so......praying that all it was was simple allergies :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] I pray that Joey is okay. I don't want anyone to have to deal with this nightmare! Still sick!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] I pray that Joey is okay. I don't want anyone to have to deal with this nightmare! Still sick!

Lynn thank you so much!!! I certainly pray for your pack!!! I just could not imagine!! Are they getting any relief from the meds?

Joey seem to continue to get better EXCEPT when she exerts herself too much (excited to see my sister) all of a sudden reverse sneeze episode...so crazy!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] If Joey doesn't have the cough,just allergy, she could benefit from benedryl. Three of mine are getting better/still occasional cough, but two are having a hard time recovering. If not better by Mon.-back to the Vet! Thanks for asking.:)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] c’mon Joey girl you got this!!! And [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] clan (do know all their names :mellow:)...you all got this too!!!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Thanks ladies!!

The cough has pretty much gone away BUT......I am noticing still several episodes of that reverse sneezing, sometimes when she is excited to see someone....SO WEIRD!! Any thoughts? Still thinking allergy?

Thank you very much!!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] If Joey doesn't have the cough,just allergy, she could benefit from benedryl. Three of mine are getting better/still occasional cough, but two are having a hard time recovering. If not better by Mon.-back to the Vet! Thanks for asking.:)

Thanks again Lynn, which two are having a hard time? Are they older? Sending GET BETTER soon to all! Hope you don't have to go back to vet today. Please let me know.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Thanks ladies!!

The cough has pretty much gone away BUT......I am noticing still several episodes of that reverse sneezing, sometimes when she is excited to see someone....SO WEIRD!! Any thoughts? Still thinking allergy?

Thank you very much!!

I have read that reverse sneezing can happen when a dog is too excited. When Louie was younger and I would come home from work, he would reverse sneeze a little. It's been awhile since he has done it.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I have read that reverse sneezing can happen when a dog is too excited. When Louie was younger and I would come home from work, he would reverse sneeze a little. It's been awhile since he has done it.

Thank you!!! I was so scared that with the early cough then increase of reverse sneezing on exertion pointed to cardiac or something more. Really good to know !!!!! A few times as we approach a field out back (Joey likes privacy to potty LOL -- on leash with me of course) she has started the reverse sneezing. I could not figure out if it was pollen OR exertion.......

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Both of mine when they get excited does it to n other odd sounds like kinda got goop in the back the throat coughing it out when there isn’t anything. Flat noses will make all sorts of odd noses. Hard to determine what comes out of these them... :)

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Both of mine when they get excited does it to n other odd sounds like kinda got goop in the back the throat coughing it out when there isn’t anything. Flat noses will make all sorts of odd noses. Hard to determine what comes out of these them... :)

Thanks Helene!! I am just SO HAPPY to hear of others doing same WITHOUT any serious illnesses. These reverse sneezing episodes really flipped me out at first......

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thanks Helene!! I am just SO HAPPY to hear of others doing same WITHOUT any serious illnesses. These reverse sneezing episodes really flipped me out at first......

I still remember the first time Jax did a reverse sneeze. It was the middle of the night and I thought he was dying. He wasn't and he was just fine. One thing you can do while it happens is cover their nostrils with your fingers, that usually stops it.

If it persists or gets worse, might be worth a vet visit just to be on the safe side to make sure there is nothing more to it. Reverse sneezing in itself isn't serious but I honestly have no idea if it could be caused by an underlying issue.