sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
little sweetheart. Hope all is well and thats (i think) how i would describe hanks cough. little then kind of a hack at the end but he does open his mouth wide like he's trying to rid it of something and it always expels at least spit. He really doesnt like to swallow ickie things though.. lol

Same!!! We need to update as this clears or progresses.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, Maude gets the reverse sneezing, coughing,and gagging. I don't know if what she has is Kennel cough, but it is contagious, now two more are doing the same thing. I will have to get meds for them! Then it will be two more after that! Why wouldn't K.cough have a gag? When you have a heavy cough, it does make you gag! Whatever it is, it is contagious. No way I can keep 5 dogs seperated! [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION]

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Yes, Maude gets the reverse sneezing, coughing,and gagging. I don't know if what she has is Kennel cough, but it is contagious, now two more are doing the same thing. I will have to get meds for them! Then it will be two more after that! Why wouldn't K.cough have a gag? When you have a heavy cough, it does make you gag! Whatever it is, it is contagious. No way I can keep 5 dogs seperated! [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION]

Oh UGGGGG that is awful!!!! I was completely wrong, I got the two mixed up. Gagging at end of cough IS classic kennel cough, I was worried about collapsed trachea or heart and THEY DON'T have gag at end. Had to call vet again.

Apparently there are dogs that are only ever home that are contracting a strain of kennel cough......

There have been a bunch of sick dogs through the Vet's office so she said if Joey is NOT in distress it is better to not bring her in to be seen HOWEVER if the cough does not completely go away (it is WAY WAY less frequent, like she is getting better) then I will need to take her in, which I will if she is not 100% by week's end. AGREE ???

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh UGGGGG that is awful!!!! I was completely wrong, I got the two mixed up. Gagging at end of cough IS classic kennel cough, I was worried about collapsed trachea or heart and THEY DON'T have gag at end. Had to call vet again.

Apparently there are dogs that are only ever home that are contracting a strain of kennel cough......

There have been a bunch of sick dogs through the Vet's office so she said if Joey is NOT in distress it is better to not bring her in to be seen HOWEVER if the cough does not completely go away (it is WAY WAY less frequent, like she is getting better) then I will need to take her in, which I will if she is not 100% by week's end. AGREE ???

Agree... I might even wait till Monday

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Whew!!!! THANK YOU!!! That's what I will do. I really appreciated her saying NOT TO BRING her in......unless absolutely necessary.

Agreed.... weakened immune system would have her picking anything else up that might be airborn

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, I have 5 coughing,gagging,dogs!Sounds like whooping cough! (honking like a goose)Couldn't sleep at all last night, as it was much worse, just like when little kids are sick-it's always worse at night(been there,too.)
Now they are all taking meds and cough syrup! There is one who is a real problem to give meds(very wise....) The bullies eat anything! ha!ha!
My dogs never leave the property(except to vets....) and so I never thought they needed KC shots. and that is where they (Maude) picked it up. What a nightmare for them! Me,too! I sure hope Joey does not have it [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] If she does, you will know it for sure! All the dogs, over all my years, never had KC and it is horrible!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Well, I have 5 coughing,gagging,dogs!Sounds like whooping cough! (honking like a goose)Couldn't sleep at all last night, as it was much worse, just like when little kids are sick-it's always worse at night(been there,too.)
Now they are all taking meds and cough syrup! There is one who is a real problem to give meds(very wise....) The bullies eat anything! ha!ha!
My dogs never leave the property(except to vets....) and so I never thought they needed KC shots. and that is where they (Maude) picked it up. What a nightmare for them! Me,too! I sure hope Joey does not have it [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] If she does, you will know it for sure! All the dogs, over all my years, never had KC and it is horrible!
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] JEEZ LYNN......You really, really have your hands full!! Poor pups!!! Wonder why so many dogs with kennel cough? I sure hope your pups get better soon!!!! Joey went with me to philly this past weekend and showed signs of improving, home now and she seems to be better still, so I have my fingers crossed.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My dogs never leave the property(except to vets....) and so I never thought they needed KC shots. and that is where they (Maude) picked it up. What a nightmare for them! Me,too! I sure hope Joey does not have it @sisters3 If she does, you will know it for sure! All the dogs, over all my years, never had KC and it is horrible!

OH NO!!! All 5 of them? Even the Prys? Good LORD, I hope they heal up soon and you get some good rest. Have you tried a vaporizer?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh my goodness! horrid with ONE and FIVE!! nightmare! hope you all get sleep tonight.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I saw a documentary a few years ago about the KC vaccine. Doesn’t even protect 75% of the dog and completely useless. I never gave that shot to any of my dogs. When I had my GS and had to cross the other side of Canada but this time I had to fly out, the RCMP kennels insists the dog to have the vaccine or they can’t bored there. Being stuck cause no other kennel wanted Major I had to get him the shot :( Now for Duke n Nyala, nope they aren’t getting it. Here’s a good article...

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/three-critical-problems-kennel-cough-vaccine/

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Thank you for the article! My dogs have never in all my years, had anything like this. It is horrible. terrible coughing,gagging and mucous. Times 5. Since we got up this a.m., I have been going here and there with paper towels and disinfectant cleaning up mucous! They caught this from Maude who had a lesser case(caught when she had surgery/still no results) and having a terrible time getting meds. into one "wise old owl!" She is impossible to fool. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] No, the Pyrs. do not have it-they don't hang with the "gang of 5". They are friends through the fence, but They probably have the best immune systems. I don't leave the prop with the 5, so they have yearly shots, but are relatively "sterile!"
I hope no one else has to go through this it is horrible for the dogs and the parent!( the vet office should have to pay for it-but I have to pay them!!) Lucky me! "When it rains it pours"-such a true old saying. Being alone-if not for you all at EBN, as one old neighbor used to say when I was a child , I would "take the gas" :yes:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Dang, I leave on Vaca for a few days and all hell breaks loose! Hoping those precious ones get better soon.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like having a classroom of sick kids and next thing you know you have an empty class. All home sick..

Hang in there bella your clan will all bounce back very soon !!

Members online

No members online now.