sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello all, hope the link below works. I have noticed Joey has a runny nose, completely clear. Eating fine, acting totally normal EXCEPT for an occasional cough (video below) She will cough like this and at the end gag like she is clearing her throat. She is always up to date on vaccines just had a perfect yearly physical, etc. No trauma to her neck. As I understand Kennel Cough does not end with a gag and does not sound like this.

It will happen randomly and sometime after drinking water. DOES NOT wake her up at night.

So.....my knowledgeable peeps, does this sound like airborne allergies like hay fever? Golden Rod is giving me a hard time right now...sneezing etc.

Thoughts? (Thank you in advance!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7KjTSHcRA4&feature=youtu.be

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have you tried squirt of lemon juice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ohhhh no, I will though! Thanks so much!

Sounds like mucus to me.. like post nasal drip.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] Maude has the same cough, and also sounds like she is trying to clear her throat. It has been 8 days since her mouth surgery. I thought it was too long to have a reaction now from surgery. She has never had allergies, but I was wondering,as the grass is dry, and the leaves are falling. I gave her benedryl. Helped a little.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Sounds like mucus to me.. like post nasal drip.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

That’s good to know! She had no coughing last night, strange. Like she knew I was going for lemon juice. Maybe this really is post nasal drip and is worse after being outside?

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] Maude has the same cough, and also sounds like she is trying to clear her throat. It has been 8 days since her mouth surgery. I thought it was too long to have a reaction now from surgery. She has never had allergies, but I was wondering,as the grass is dry, and the leaves are falling. I gave her benedryl. Helped a little.

Oh thank you! I’m really hoping that’s all it is! Is Maude recovering well otherwise?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] Well, Maude's cough suddenly got much worse last night. She could not stop coughing. Tried giving honey,a mess, but no help. I have powerful lozenges, called "Fishermen's Friend" and so I moved into the dog bed, held it between my fingers, and she licked it. It did mostly stop her coughing, and she could sleep. Not so much for me.
She is now snoring, and I am quite sore(dog bed syndrome).She doesn't even want to go out... She has an appointment this p.m. We have not been anywhere-how this happened? I should learn that nothing is simple for "us" (me). I sure hope that Joey does better!

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] Well, Maude's cough suddenly got much worse last night. She could not stop coughing. Tried giving honey,a mess, but no help. I have powerful lozenges, called "Fishermen's Friend" and so I moved into the dog bed, held it between my fingers, and she licked it. It did mostly stop her coughing, and she could sleep. Not so much for me.
She is now snoring, and I am quite sore(dog bed syndrome).She doesn't even want to go out... She has an appointment this p.m. We have not been anywhere-how this happened? I should learn that nothing is simple for "us" (me). I sure hope that Joey does better!

Oh jeez REALLY sorry to hear this!!!! Please let me know how her appointment goes. Praying for normal post op recovery cough??? Drainage??? You're an inspiration to say the least, "dog bed syndrome" is something not everyone dog owner would endure. Thank you Lynn for the input for Joey. I will look forward to Vet's answer for Maude.

Big Bully Hugs (and prayers)

Sue and Joey

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

UGH!!! I hope it is allergy issues and nothing serious. .... big hugs and positive thoughts

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for your concern about my Maude. Don't know what she has, or where she got it, as we don't leave the prop.! She had a pretty bad cough, and nose running but clear. Did not get a name to it, but she got antibiotic and cough medicine. She is doing better. I suspect that she may have been exposed to something when she was at the vet for surgery? She is taking the med and hopefully will be okay soon. Girl in the office mentioned that they had a lot of dogs in lately with kennel cough. Never had it,but maybe that's it? No news yet on tumor.
*Hoping that Joey is okay [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for your concern about my Maude. Don't know what she has, or where she got it, as we don't leave the prop.! She had a pretty bad cough, and nose running but clear. Did not get a name to it, but she got antibiotic and cough medicine. She is doing better. I suspect that she may have been exposed to something when she was at the vet for surgery? She is taking the med and hopefully will be okay soon. Girl in the office mentioned that they had a lot of dogs in lately with kennel cough. Never had it,but maybe that's it? No news yet on tumor.
*Hoping that Joey is okay [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION]

Poor Maude... I hope she is feeling better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
going to keep an eye on this post.... Praying for Maude (please keep in touch on her) and sounds like Joey issue is under control? Hank does that occasionally and then does the big mouth cough and usually spits out the white foam. Never sure why, and rare, but hopefully thats all it is for Joey.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thanks to all! I hope Maude recovers quickly! I too have been told about the rise in kennel cough BUT Joey has a gag at the end of cough and I was told with kennel cough that doesn’t happen. Is this true? We’re out of town, back home later today but she only had a few episodes of the cough BUT some pretty lengthy reverse sneezing episodes.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thanks to all! I hope Maude recovers quickly! I too have been told about the rise in kennel cough BUT Joey has a gag at the end of cough and I was told with kennel cough that doesn’t happen. Is this true? We’re out of town, back home later today but she only had a few episodes of the cough BUT some pretty lengthy reverse sneezing episodes.

little sweetheart. Hope all is well and thats (i think) how i would describe hanks cough. little then kind of a hack at the end but he does open his mouth wide like he's trying to rid it of something and it always expels at least spit. He really doesnt like to swallow ickie things though.. lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.