Question about cherry eyes...

Dana Mayhall

Mar 21, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly, Bud and Kami
Monday night at our normal bedtime face cleaning I noticed that my little boy Grizzly had this big red thing popped up on his eye. I thought it was just allergies so I gave him some meds and we all went to bed. Woke up yesterday and it was worse so I took him in to the vet and they said "yepp he has cherry eye, we will need to do surgery and fix it." So I agreed. Now this morning my Baby Girl Tilly has the same darn thing on one of her eyes. I am not sure why. Tilly is my allergy baby that takes allergy meds daily. But what are the chances of two of my babies having cherry eye. So I am thinking it is something in my yard or my house that is causing this... anyone have and thoughts to this????
I dont clean with chemicals and my yard is never treated (well not yet anyways until fleas get bad) I just don't know what to think about all this. Two of them with it in 3 days... seems weird to me.:confused:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
It's most likely just a coincidence I would think since it's common for bullies to get cherry eye. How old are Grizzly and Tilly? From this forum, a lot of our bullies get cherry eye when they're still less than 1 year of age. Some outgrow them and some don't. Some vets also recommend that we wait another month or so because the likelihood of the other eye getting cherry eye are pretty good. In my opinion as well, it's not too much of an emergency to get it taken care of right away.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Cherry eye looks way worse than it is. Your vet can sell you an ointment and instruct you on how to massage the "cherry" back under the lid. It bothers the pet owner more than the pet. Are you going to neuter your Bulldogs; if so you can wait until then to fix the eyes.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I had two bulldogs who were brother and sister and they both developed cherry eye two days apart and the same ( right eye only when they were only four months old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dana Mayhall

Mar 21, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly, Bud and Kami
Tilly is 5 months and Grizzly is 4 month. They are both going into the vet tomorrow and he is going to give them some meds and possible do surgery. No I am not getting them fixed at this point.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't have any experience with Cherry Eye but it does seem to be VERY common in bulldogs. I know that some people on here have associated it with allergies, others have not and have had to resort to surgery. How old are your bullys and what do you feed them?? It probably is coincidence but if it were an allergy to something that may also explain why it's happened within a few days of each other.

gmaboman

Mar 5, 2011
Vandalia, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Chugz
our bully had cherry eye early also, we tried allergy meds and predisone, never worked ended up with surgery, then it happened again, and surgery again. Chugz is almost 2 yrs old and his eye still not great but better than it was. We were told it is heredity, so we may not want to breed him since high chance of passing it on.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
A somewhat non-related bump [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] - how is Stiggy's eye doing?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] - The cherry eye is still somewhat there although not as large. The vet did a partial removal of the gland, which she said was most recommended as she's had 100% success on this type of surgery and has never had a case of dry eye (**knock on wood). This is where only the affected area is removed and the part that produces tears stays intact. I'm hoping that gland has still not retracted because it's still swollen from the removal but I've scheduled a follow-up for next week just in case it doesn't get better then. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

But his general demeanor is fantastic. You wouldn't have known he's been through surgery at all.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Wanted to give an update on Stig's eye.

We went for a follow-up this past Sat because it didn't retract yet. The vet was surprised that it was still a little swollen and gave us an ointment to put on once or twice a day. She even said that if we'd like her to do another surgery to the eye, then she'd do it at no cost. Which was really great. But good thing my bf asked if he can try to massage it back in which she said ok to because I think it did the trick! Stiglet's eye has been back to normal since Monday, and it even stayed in after today's doggie daycare session. :up:

So for those who don't know, the vet did a partial removal of the cherry eye. This is where the tear gland stays intact and a small portion of the affected area is surgically removed. The vet said that she has had really good success with this procedure over the tacking method.

But for those who is considering surgery, please don't avoid the tacking or pocket method altogether. Your vet may say that he's had great success with that procedure, and I personally think that your bully will have a lesser chance of getting dry eye in the future with this method.

Here are before and after pics.

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

Last edited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
cherry eye can be through genetics,a bit of rough play can bring a cherry out,it wont harm the dog but doesnt look nice,if you youtube it ,you will see how to pop it back in,if it wont go back in then id get it removed,if its removed then dry eye could be a problem after,mine had 1 removed so has a bit of dry eye,the other cherry we popped back in about 3 months ago and it hasnt popped back out ,karen

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.