Blood test - vet found kidney problems

JohnSnow

Sep 13, 2018
Country
Bolivia
Bulldog(s) Names
John Snow
Hi guys,
Mi dog has had some skin problems lately so I made a blood test with him.Now you have to know that most vets here in Bolivia do not have laboratories, so I had to take the blood to a laboratory for humans. When I got the results I took them back to the vet and he told me " your dog has some kidney problems and we have to do a 3-day treatment with injections.":( I asked him to explain me but he really didn*t made me understand what kind of problem it is - not even if its an inflamation or something cronical. Now I did not start the treatment because I am searching for another vet in the city where I live to have another opinion.
Does anyone here have a dog with Kidney problems or knows about that problem? Has it got to do with his food? Or drinking-habits? It seems so strange to me what the vet said about a three-day treatment.

Greetings from Bolivia
Judith

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi guys,
Mi dog has had some skin problems lately so I made a blood test with him.Now you have to know that most vets here in Bolivia do not have laboratories, so I had to take the blood to a laboratory for humans. When I got the results I took them back to the vet and he told me " your dog has some kidney problems and we have to do a 3-day treatment with injections.":( I asked him to explain me but he really didn*t made me understand what kind of problem it is - not even if its an inflamation or something cronical. Now I did not start the treatment because I am searching for another vet in the city where I live to have another opinion.
Does anyone here have a dog with Kidney problems or knows about that problem? Has it got to do with his food? Or drinking-habits? It seems so strange to me what the vet said about a three-day treatment.

Greetings from Bolivia
Judith

I would NOT start any treatment with that vet you have. Iā€™ve read a few other of your post and your vet is sure not explaining much to you. Find yourself another vet immediately and bring your results with you to a new vet. Donā€™t start injections if you have NO clue why your vet is giving injections. It might cause other issues. If your dog has issues, itā€™s not a few extra days of waiting till you find a new vet will harm him.

By the way, what are you feeding your dog? Like what is the kibbles, snacks etc...and how old is he?

OP
JohnSnow

JohnSnow

Sep 13, 2018
Country
Bolivia
Bulldog(s) Names
John Snow
Hello helsonwheels,

Thank you for answering me, and I guess you*re totally right. the only problem is finding a good vet in Sucre, Bolivia. :( I could only look for one who at least tries to explain me.

I don*t know what age my dog has, because I adopted him in an agency that only recives the dogs from their owners to bring them to a stadium at the weekend and give them to any person who will take them. I got to know his former owner later, but he told me he only had him for a couple of weeks because he couldn*t handle him. He also said he didn*t know the dog was deaf and didn*t notice he suffered of epilepsy because he only lived on the roof of his house..:sneaky2:

I feed him dry food (is that kibbles in english?), the food is from the brand purina dogui. And I have to admit that it*s not the expensive one. Here in Bolivia these things are expensive because they do not have their own brands everything is imported from other countries. Sometimes I give him pure meat and fruits also, but mostly I give him the dry food.

How could I know more about the brands of dogfood they sell here? on the internet I found their sites, but I don*t really know which one is good or bad :ashamed:

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
You are very caring
I would have to say do not do any human tests with your dogs blood or urine
There are so many precidents and detrimental factors that may not give an accurate reading
As you can tell my the members of this site there are some really smart people here, even though they can not legally diagnose I would trust them 100% more than an unfamiliar vet

If you truly think there are kidney problem Iā€™d start with writing down times of the dogs bathrooms
I would monitor the color and amount take notes so when you do find that vet you trust you have all documented information. Look for blood in urine, abnormal coloring, frequency etc
Above all I would plead with you not to start any treatments because of a vet suggestion from human testing...
These dogs are special friends good luck

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
You are very caring
I would have to say do not do any human tests with your dogs blood or urine
There are so many precidents and detrimental factors that may not give an accurate reading
As you can tell my the members of this site there are some really smart people here, even though they can not legally diagnose I would trust them 100% more than an unfamiliar vet

If you truly think there are kidney problem Iā€™d start with writing down times of the dogs bathrooms
I would monitor the color and amount take notes so when you do find that vet you trust you have all documented information. Look for blood in urine, abnormal coloring, frequency etc
Above all I would plead with you not to start any treatments because of a vet suggestion from human testing...
These dogs are special friends good luck

:2thumbs::judges:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... post pictures and lets see what is going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Is this blood test in any way going to affect his ability to be cleared for travel?
Can you post a copy of the blood test results. We maybe able to better explain any possible issue.
As others has said, do not do any treatment until the Vet(some Vet) fully explains(and you fully understand)the problem and the necessary course of action.
On the surface this has ā€œripoffā€ stamped all over it...but who knows.
Has the boy shown any symptoms of urinary distress?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello helsonwheels,

Thank you for answering me, and I guess you*re totally right. the only problem is finding a good vet in Sucre, Bolivia. :( I could only look for one who at least tries to explain me.

I don*t know what age my dog has, because I adopted him in an agency that only recives the dogs from their owners to bring them to a stadium at the weekend and give them to any person who will take them. I got to know his former owner later, but he told me he only had him for a couple of weeks because he couldn*t handle him. He also said he didn*t know the dog was deaf and didn*t notice he suffered of epilepsy because he only lived on the roof of his house..:sneaky2:

I feed him dry food (is that kibbles in english?), the food is from the brand purina dogui. And I have to admit that it*s not the expensive one. Here in Bolivia these things are expensive because they do not have their own brands everything is imported from other countries. Sometimes I give him pure meat and fruits also, but mostly I give him the dry food.

How could I know more about the brands of dogfood they sell here? on the internet I found their sites, but I don*t really know which one is good or bad :ashamed:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
Click on this link and stick with the 4-5stars dog food. See if your country carries them. Stay away from chicken till you know your dog. Also for epilepsy a good quality fat like coconut oil helps. We members in here saw a live video on a members bulldog with tremors. He rubbed one drop of frankincense essential oil in each ear and inside each paws. For the ears, DO NOT put inside the canal ONLY above the canal or inside the floppy ear section. The video showed tremors stopped. I know epilepsy n tremors are NOT the same but frankincense will calm down the dog. But like I said, epilepsy, you need a good high fat diet. Not cooked steak fat but raw like coconut oil, olive oil. NOT canola or vegetable oil!! Feed your dog if you can raw frozen fish. Whole fish with organs and all. Freeze the fish.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Try to get your dog on a frozen raw food diet if it exists in your country, especially one that includes beef,lamb, or pork heart, and supplement with a fish oil supplement , Vitamin E once a week, and Dimethylglycine.
https://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/dogs-diet-and-epilepsy/

Of course, have a vet prescribe phenobarbital if your dog is having frequent seizures.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online