Surgery for corneal ulcer (grid keratotomy) tomorrow

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
Our sweet Sophie is having a grid keratotomy for a corneal ulcer tomorrow. It is SUPPOSED to be
a simple, 1/2 hour procedure and does NOT require general anesthesia (yippeeee!) but she will be sedated.

I trust and love our vet, annnd he is very aware of bulldogs' special
anesthesia needs! But like any parents, hubby and I are nervous. I'm praying that everything goes
well. IF this procedure isn't enough, they might have to do something more invasive, requiring
general anesthesia.

Everybully have a nice weekend!!!! (( hugs ))

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sending hugs and prayers for your sweet girl... please keep us posted!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Good Luck with the procedure, Sophie. You'll be good-to-go in no time.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Good luck Sophie! Keep us posted.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
in my thoughts and prayers... update when you able :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our sweet Sophie is having a grid keratotomy for a corneal ulcer tomorrow. It is SUPPOSED to be
a simple, 1/2 hour procedure and does NOT require general anesthesia (yippeeee!) but she will be sedated.

I trust and love our vet, annnd he is very aware of bulldogs' special
anesthesia needs! But like any parents, hubby and I are nervous. I'm praying that everything goes
well. IF this procedure isn't enough, they might have to do something more invasive, requiring
general anesthesia.

Everybully have a nice weekend!!!! (( hugs ))

How id everything go? he home and doing well?

OP
TooTooMommy

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, everybully! She did very well, AND they didn't even mildly sedate her as planned; which is kind of unbelieva-bull,
since they had to put the instrument ON her eye. How she didn't move at ALL is beyond me! I mean, just to
cut her nails, she goes CRAZY!! LOL !!!

Tomorrow is her follow-up; I'm hoping all is well. I read that sometimes the keratotomy has to be done more
than once. Tonight she started rubbing her eye again, which was the first sign of her ulcer.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you, everybully! She did very well, AND they didn't even mildly sedate her as planned; which is kind of unbelieva-bull,
since they had to put the instrument ON her eye. How she didn't move at ALL is beyond me! I mean, just to
cut her nails, she goes CRAZY!! LOL !!!

Tomorrow is her follow-up; I'm hoping all is well. I read that sometimes the keratotomy has to be done more
than once. Tonight she started rubbing her eye again, which was the first sign of her ulcer.

Fingers and paws crossed.... keep us posted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
TooTooMommy

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everybully for hugs, prayers, etc!

Wellllll, I made a little error in my update. We THOUGHT they did the grid keratotomy, but they did a simpler debridement.
Unfortunately, it's NOT improving, so now we're taking her to an opthalmologist for the keratotomy. IF that doesn't heal
her cornea, she will need a more intense surgery called a "conjunctival flap". She already had the flap done on her other eye
2 years ago.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
well doggone it :( I offer prayers for healing this dear one of yours.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everybully for hugs, prayers, etc!

Wellllll, I made a little error in my update. We THOUGHT they did the grid keratotomy, but they did a simpler debridement.
Unfortunately, it's NOT improving, so now we're taking her to an opthalmologist for the keratotomy. IF that doesn't heal
her cornea, she will need a more intense surgery called a "conjunctival flap". She already had the flap done on her other eye
2 years ago.

Damn! Continued prayers and positive thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.