Excessive Panting

KingstonsMama

Jun 15, 2018
California
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingston
My 9 year old Bully Kingston has been panting more than usual. We just moved and sometimes in the middle of the night he will wake up panting when it isnā€™t even hot. We also go on about three 15min walks a day and whenwe come back in he is breathing and panting for about 30 min straight. Anybody else experience this or have any suggestions on helping him. Thank you.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't walk my bulldogs if the temp is over 75 degrees... it may be that he's getting TOO hot. You can give him ice chips in a bowl to help him cool down some... or at least stop the panting.

The panting at night may be a concern... but he could be just getting use to his new digs. If it continues I would contact the vet to see if something else is going on.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My 9 year old Bully Kingston has been panting more than usual. We just moved and sometimes in the middle of the night he will wake up panting when it isnā€™t even hot. We also go on about three 15min walks a day and whenwe come back in he is breathing and panting for about 30 min straight. Anybody else experience this or have any suggestions on helping him. Thank you.

Youā€™re in California, any smoke out there with all them fires? We are having bad fires in British Columbia which is the other province next to us. Nowhere near them and we are getting tons of smoke. Some days air quality isnā€™t so great. Best thing is bring him to the vet so they can check him up.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Youā€™re in California, any smoke out there with all them fires? We are having bad fires in British Columbia which is the other province next to us. Nowhere near them and we are getting tons of smoke. Some days air quality isnā€™t so great. Best thing is bring him to the vet so they can check him up.

Agree with this. The last couple of weeks our air quality was hazardous and it was advised to stay inside, including dogs and cats. I read a couple posts on FB about Frenchies having trouble breathing. The air seems to finally have cleared up out here, at least for now.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
My first 3 thoughts...
He may be carrying too much weight...pics please.
Congestive heart failure...His heart may be getting less efficient...it can come with age
He may simply be to warm. Older, less active Bulldogs will get too warm while sleeping in the same spot. Instead of getting up and moving to a cooler spot they will begin to pant.

OP
K

KingstonsMama

Jun 15, 2018
California
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingston
Yes. We are in los angeles, we will be going to the vet tomorrow. Thank you!

OP
K

KingstonsMama

Jun 15, 2018
California
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingston
My first 3 thoughts...
He may be carrying too much weight...pics please.
Congestive heart failure...His heart may be getting less efficient...it can come with age
He may simply be to warm. Older, less active Bulldogs will get too warm while sleeping in the same spot. Instead of getting up and moving to a cooler spot they will begin to pant.

Hopefully itā€™s not his heart this kiddo is my life. He is 55lbs and could drop a few lbs for sure. Thanks for the response. A3E06D6C-0763-4F6E-BAC3-7A0354B0E197.jpeg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hopefully itā€™s not his heart this kiddo is my life. He is 55lbs and could drop a few lbs for sure. Thanks for the response. View attachment 113766

He is adorable!! Does not look overweight to me either. Can very well be the air quality or just too warm. Keep us posted!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would go easy on the walks until you find out the cause. Even if the worst comes to the worst and it should turn out to be heart congestion, don't despair, there are many drugs now that even though they can't cure, they certainly can help. Please let us know.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
He looks mighty fine for 9! Good that you are aware of his symptoms and monitoring. Do what you can to keep him cool and like Pam says, limit activity a little, especially in heat. Please keep us posted. You guys make a nice pair. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
K

KingstonsMama

Jun 15, 2018
California
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingston
Sorry Iā€™m so late on the update. Kingston is doing good and his bloodwork came out great. The Doctor did say he has a mild case of bronchitis but says he sees it all the time in dogs that live in Los Angeles because of our air quality. He gave me the option of putting him on Theophylline but I declined as I really do not want to start him on any meds. Every once in a while he will pant in the middle of the night but he has been better. I would like to invest in an air purifier to help. Thanks for all the love and support ā™„ļø����AF6E4DC3-E40F-4AD5-898C-064A3074A5C5.jpeg

Most Reactions