UTI OVERLOAD!!!!!

Kandi

Aug 13, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grunt and Pog
Hey there! So we have a 5 month old female who is going on her 4th UTI in 2 months! I’m losing my mind here! Has anyone every had this issue? If so what do you do?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Puppies that have vulvar abnormalities will usually have this relieved with the first heat. Not sure if this is an issue, but you can wipe vulva down twice daily with an unscented baby wipe.

Did vet check for any bladder or kidney stones?

It's a good idea to give a probiotic, preferably a doggy probiotic such as Proviable DC, Probiotic Miracle, or Herbsmith Microflora Plus. You can also give milk kefir, raw goats milk, or live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store.

It might also be a good idea to buy a d-mannose with cranberry supplement to help prevent e-coli uti.

Grain free kibble tends to promote alkaline urine, so a raw food diet may help acidify the urine and help prevent uti

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Hi!! Welcome, Hang in there, I have been there.:hug: It can be super over whelming, Ellie had her 1st UTI at 8 weeks till she was a year hold old:facepalm1:

Bear with me I have a bunch of questions, Have they done a direct Urine test from the bladder, this can help to treat with the right antibiotics? How long has she been on Antibiotics when being treated, some times they need meds for at least 3 weeks

In her other samples, have they told you if she has a high PH and/ or crystals??

This was the trouble with my Ellie, she had a High Urine PH, WITH crystals, and she is a low rider pee'r and it would all mix together with bacteria from the dirt, and BOOM next UTI.

So the solution for us was changing to Bottled water, as our tap water was off the Charts high in Alkalinity, you can check your own with a home water test from lowes or HD

We did a dietary change, and removed grains and Potato's from her diet.

We had to put Ellie on a supplement from the Vet called Petameth to keep her Urine PH in check.

You can get Pet urine test strips on Amazon, and check her PH, normal levels should be 5.5-7

Sorry if this is scatter brained....

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would only use petameth ( methionine ) if the urine is alkaline and your dog has crystals in urine and vet recommends it, since it is a urine acidifier, which can be achieved more naturally with a high protein low carb diet such as frozen raw.

I forgot to mention that it's very important you get your dog to drink a lot of fluid eg.by giving bone broth, and that it be let out to urinate frequently.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey there! So we have a 5 month old female who is going on her 4th UTI in 2 months! I’m losing my mind here! Has anyone every had this issue? If so what do you do?

My girl had this issue too, I forget how old she was but we needed to have a vulvaplasty done due to her having too much skin in the area which was causing the infection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.