jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
Hi Everyone-

I am looking to see if anyone has had any experience with Chemodectoma in their bullies. My good friend's bully (who is the same bloodline as mine) was diagnosed with Chemodectoma. Right now she is on meds to treat the secondary symptoms such as fluid in the abdomen, hypertension and breathing issues. The vet said that there may be surgical options depending on how this treatment works. Obviously, if surgery is an option then the question is whether it will extend life long enough to go through the trauma of surgery.

Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi Everyone-

I am looking to see if anyone has had any experience with Chemodectoma in their bullies. My good friend's bully (who is the same bloodline as mine) was diagnosed with Chemodectoma. Right now she is on meds to treat the secondary symptoms such as fluid in the abdomen, hypertension and breathing issues. The vet said that there may be surgical options depending on how this treatment works. Obviously, if surgery is an option then the question is whether it will extend life long enough to go through the trauma of surgery.

Thanks!

Interesting. Chemodectoma is a very rare tumor and usually benign. [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] ? [MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] ?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Chemodectoma is usually slow growing, but in this case most probably it is either big enough and squeezes heart or lungs or it is metastasising (as dog has buildup of fluid around heart and may be lungs). Removal of tumour is not possible, the only type of surgery that is performed as far as I know is pericardiotomy, which is opening of case surrounding the heart, and it prevents fluid from building up. If not to do it, heart will be squeezed by fluid in weeks and stop. This surgery will prolong dogs life for probably several month, but better to ask vet, they will tell you more precise.
Second treatment option is radiation. Radiation can be done as SRT and full-course. First one is just 3 sessions of very precise stereotactic therapy, but it is for not very advanced stages. If water buildup is very big, this method isn’t very effective. Then there is second - full-course radiation. It is 20 sessions - 4 weeks every working day. Results of radiation therapy are usually very good. Cost can be 6-7 thousand dollars. Usually tumour shrinks for 12-18 months. Then therapy can be repeated.
Third option is drug Palladia. Probably needs to be taken life-long. Usually tolerated well by patients.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It seems like it's a heart base tumor that rarely metastasizes, but will probably end up needing surgery called Pericardiectomy when becomes symptomatic, which is a fairly risky surgery. I'll paste an excerpt on this from the textbook:

TREATMENT OVERVIEW
Treatment is generally aimed at removal of pericardial fluid when cardiac tamponade occurs and eliminating recurrent effusion. When
a heart base tumor is an incidental finding, initially no treatment may be necessary.
ACUTE GENERAL TREATMENT
Pericardiocentesis (see p. 1325) is essential when cardiac tamponade is present but may not be necessary if only mild
effusion is present and not causing hemodynamic effects.
Diuretics are contraindicated in acute treatment of cardiac tamponade.
CHRONIC TREATMENT
Repeated pericardiocentesis as needed for recurrent pericardial effusion
Diuretics to delay effusion recurrence are controversial.
Pericardiectomy alone is an effective palliative treatment for recurrent pericardial effusion. Less-invasive alternatives to
surgical pericardiectomy include thoracoscopic pericardiectomy (see p. 1340) and percutaneous balloon pericardiotomy.
Complete surgical resection is rarely possible owing to high vascularity of the tumor and close association with great vessels.
POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS
Pericardiocentesis related
Surgical complications related to pericardiectomy. Surgical resection carries substantial risks.
As most heart base tumors are benign, metastasis is rare but has been reported.
COMMENDED MONITORING
Follow-up exams and echocardiography to assess for recurrent pericardial effusion and tumor progression
Thoracic radiographs and possibly abdominal ultrasound for tumor staging
PROGNOSIS AND OUTCOME
Guarded to fair without pericardiectomy
Pericardiectomy alone improves survival time considerably.
PEARLS & CONSIDERATIONS
COMMENTS
Characteristic echocardiographic findings lead to the presumptive diagnosis of a heart base tumor and the possibility of better prognosis with pericardiectomy than with other cardiac tumors such as hemangiosarcoma.
Cytologic and biochemical evaluation of pericardial fluid are unreliable.
PATIENT EDUCATION
Pericardiocentesis and pericardiectomy are both palliative and not curative.
Pericardiectomy will likely lead to longer survival time, with fewer clinical signs in the interim.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Geez, learn everyday isn’t the word!!! sure makes you think if surgery is really worth it.. :(

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Surgery is probably necessary to,stop liquid buildup. I would ask doctor if surgery will be performed, will dog be eligible for precise radiation therapy, SRT. If so, after radiation therapy dog can enjoy several years of life. Or if after surgery they can administer Palladia and expect good results. Palladia is more or less affordable medicine. Ask doctor if the tumour is big n size, because if it is big, most probably it will anyway cause complications soon. Also take into account dogs age.
Then you can make better decisions.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No experience or insight.... sending lots of positivity to your friends baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithey82

Oct 10, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Hi I was wondering if you found anything out about chemodectoma my bulldog was diagnosed with that a week ago I’ve been searching for people that have English bulldogs with the same type of cancer and how they treated it and what the prognosis was

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.