Asking for Advice (my bulldog keeps yelping)

Amanda24073

Aug 11, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Waylon
Hello Everyone,
I am very happy to have come across this website full of awesome and knowledgeable bulldog owners. I am experiencing something strange with my bulldog Waylon, and wanted to ask for advice. My olde English bulldog is 3 years old and is healthy and happy. Each time we go to the vet for shots or check up they say he looks great and is a good weight. The thing that is worrying me is that sometimes, at complete random times, he will jump up and yelp/scream as if he is in excruciating pain. As he is jumping up to run towards myself or my fiancĆ© he lets out a terrible scream. He runs to us as if he is hurt and I always rub his hips and legs because I fear something is hurting him in that area. I have asked another bulldog group about this and they said their bulldogs would sometimes do this when releasing their anal glands but leave a spot of wetness behind. Waylon does not do that. Itā€™s completely random and he will normally be laying with his legs back playing with a toy or sitting when it happens. It does not happen often only every few months but it alarming when he does it. Has anyone else experienced this with your bulldog? I look forward to any and all advice and thank you in advance.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello Everyone,
I am very happy to have come across this website full of awesome and knowledgeable bulldog owners. I am experiencing something strange with my bulldog Waylon, and wanted to ask for advice. My olde English bulldog is 3 years old and is healthy and happy. Each time we go to the vet for shots or check up they say he looks great and is a good weight. The thing that is worrying me is that sometimes, at complete random times, he will jump up and yelp/scream as if he is in excruciating pain. As he is jumping up to run towards myself or my fiancĆ© he lets out a terrible scream. He runs to us as if he is hurt and I always rub his hips and legs because I fear something is hurting him in that area. I have asked another bulldog group about this and they said their bulldogs would sometimes do this when releasing their anal glands but leave a spot of wetness behind. Waylon does not do that. Itā€™s completely random and he will normally be laying with his legs back playing with a toy or sitting when it happens. It does not happen often only every few months but it alarming when he does it. Has anyone else experienced this with your bulldog? I look forward to any and all advice and thank you in advance.

Hello and Welcome!! Never happened but I will tag others for you that might or heard of....hang on...
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] and all other members, have you seen this before?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to EBN!!

Sounds like it could be arthritis or a nerve being pinched. Have you had xrays done to his back to check for any arthritis or vertebrae issues?

My girl had both these issues which we managed with laser therapy and medicine . Our Frenchie has fused vertebrae and we also manage with just laser at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Aw I'm so sorry to hear this! The bulldog scream is the saddest thing I've ever heard. Tayto had sprained his knee and made those sounds so wonder if it could be something like that?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor little Waylon. I hope you find the cause of his pain.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have not experienced this with any of my dogs, but I am thinking possibly a pinched nerve, or a disc problem beginning, or arthritis . It may be that his leg sometimes "falls asleep" depending how he lays on it. It is likely that this will be hard to diagnose, since it is only occasional. As mentioned, you might have xrays done, but would not show pinched nerve. Have you tried moving his legs around to see if he reacts,as if having pain? [MENTION=18534]Amanda24073[/MENTION]

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Does he have any other symptoms, such as seeming to be wobbly, or confused at all? Does this yelp happen as heā€™s TRYING to move, or he just does it for no apparent reason? Not to be alarmist, but this was the kind of symptoms Wilbur displayed before he was diagnosed with hydrocephalus (see my other threads on that). Now Wilbur also has seizures, but we are managing this with meds and he doesnā€™t seem to be in pain.... I would watch the timing of the yelp closely for any clues.
ALSO - Wilbur has always been a nut job and will be quietly laying there chewing when he suddenly jumps up and acts like a lunatic, so thereā€™s that too.
Keep us posted!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.