HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Hi! Tomorrow morning I am picking up our new rescue bully who we've named Fred. While in rescue Fred had 3 surgeries done at one time (cherry eye, palate, and neuter). I found out yesterday that the Vet who the rescue uses put him on Prednisone for 30 days (he's been on it for 12 days thus far). I've had 2 bulldogs to this point and neither of them have needed palate surgery so I'm not sure if this is normal protocol. I don't have a super positive opinion of Prednisone and am trying to trust that the Vet obviously put him on this for a reason, but it does make me concerned. Fred's foster Mom mentioned that he has been a wee bit cranky since he's been on the drug. He will be coming into a new home with our other bulldog Barney (meet and greet went great) and I am hoping for the smoothest transition possible. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with a Dr. putting their pup on Prednisone after a surgery. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Otis (RIP our sweet angel), Barney, and Fred's Mom

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi! Tomorrow morning I am picking up our new rescue bully who we've named Fred. While in rescue Fred had 3 surgeries done at one time (cherry eye, palate, and neuter). I found out yesterday that the Vet who the rescue uses put him on Prednisone for 30 days (he's been on it for 12 days thus far). I've had 2 bulldogs to this point and neither of them have needed palate surgery so I'm not sure if this is normal protocol. I don't have a super positive opinion of Prednisone and am trying to trust that the Vet obviously put him on this for a reason, but it does make me concerned. Fred's foster Mom mentioned that he has been a wee bit cranky since he's been on the drug. He will be coming into a new home with our other bulldog Barney (meet and greet went great) and I am hoping for the smoothest transition possible. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with a Dr. putting their pup on Prednisone after a surgery. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Otis (RIP our sweet angel), Barney, and Fred's Mom

For cherry eye and neutered donā€™t need Prednisone. Palate surgery Iā€™ll let others answer you. 30days is a lot. Since he has already done 12 days make sure you give him probiotics to get his good gut cells n flora back on track. Antibiotics especially for 30 days is way too long. Give him daily kefir or a fermented sauerkraut not the ones in the can the ones in the fridge.

OP
HandsomeOtis

HandsomeOtis

Jun 10, 2015
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
otis
Thanks for your input. Seems like a long time to me too. Prednisone isn't an antibiotic, but actually a steroid. I did a bit more research and found that they do it with palate surgery to keep the inflammation down. Still don't like it, but at least I understand it a bit more now. I give all my dogs daily kefir so that will definitely be happening. Thanks again for responding and I hope you have a wonderful day!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for your input. Seems like a long time to me too. Prednisone isn't an antibiotic, but actually a steroid. I did a bit more research and found that they do it with palate surgery to keep the inflammation down. Still don't like it, but at least I understand it a bit more now. I give all my dogs daily kefir so that will definitely be happening. Thanks again for responding and I hope you have a wonderful day!

Yes and I donā€™t know why I put antibiotic. But still give him probiotics. All Meds are harsh on any system.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I totally agree... 30days is too much, we had it for our guy and it was a few days for inflammation. Ask to start when I get him off as it does cause behavioral issues.

please keep us posted and thank you for rescuing.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Weā€™ve never dosed or even been prescribed Pred after palate surgery. I see no need for it. However, if this Vet thinks itā€™s necessary for a specific reason regarding this specific case, I see no harm in dosing it for no more than 1 week. Anything beyond that isnā€™t necessary and could cause more harm than good. JMHO...from someone that has no formal veterinary training. That last part is my disclaimer. ��

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Make sure you slowly wean him off the prednisone as stopping suddenly can cause itā€™s own issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Short term prednisone ( two weeks and under ) doesn't need to be tapered off.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Short term prednisone ( two weeks and under ) doesn't need to be tapered off.

Well when Jax was prescribed it by the neurologist for 2 weeks, he had to taper off.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Well when Jax was prescribed it by the neurologist for 2 weeks, he had to taper off.

Probably a good precaution to follow if you have more than 10 days of therapy, since suppression of the hypothalmic pituitary axis can occur after 7-10 days,which results in not being to produce enough natural cortisone after stopping prednisone. But I've seen a lot of humans get two week courses of prednisone for asthma without taper. Sometimes tapering is done to prolong therapy at lower doses as well.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online