SirRuckus

Aug 1, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
My Ruckus just turned 10. He had been an extremely healthy dog until a year ago when we started having issues with ear infections and some minor skin allergies. All in all it was nothing serious but I learned that my vet does not know bulldogs verywell, or that perhaps he was trying to squeeze every penny we had out of us. We live in a small town and dont have a lot of options. So, ruckus has begun to slow down a bit and show his age. About 7 months ago he began not being able to make it through the night without needing to go out. He bark and wake me up though, and not have an accident. He also doesn't jump on the couch, wrestle as much...etc, things that seem normal for an aging dog to change. About a month ago he began peeing alot. All the time. He suddenly went hold it for even an hour. If he dont force him outside on the hour, he will pee in the house. A few weeks ago he began not being able to poop. Actually, it's like he's confused. He tries to poop several times each time he goes outside but he doesn't need to. He's always pooped at the same few times a day. Now he tries to do it constantly. When he does poop, it's small amounts and kind of cat like. Spirally. He doesn't seem to be in pain. So, I know you're gonna tell me to get him to the vet. I know...he had an appointment. My problem is, my husband just thinks he's old. It's his time. His body is breaking down. I know if the vet says that he wants to run a 100 tests, which he will, my husband will say no...its his time. We should put him down. I feel like he was so healthy that it might just be an infection or something fixable and we shouldn't put him down. We do not trust our vet. He wants us to try every option for every possible illness. We cant spend another $3000-$5000 on him in order for our vet to final admit he's just not sure. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? So, I'm wondering if any of you experienced anything similar? I dont think it's a uti. What else is common in bully's that might cause the poop and pee issues but not effect them otherwise?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It sounds like prostate issues to me- was your dog neutered? If not, he should be now. Prostate issues are usually due to enlargement in a non castrated dog, or cancer or abscess or infection in a castrated dog.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Your boy DESERVES to be seen by a experienced bulldog vet asap.
it could be a minor issue and easy to cure. Please let him be examined
before the decision to put him down. Please...praying for him & your
family.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
If you do not trust your vet, then I suggest finding a vet that has knowledge with bullies and take him in for a visit. Bulldogs can live past 10 years old.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My Ruckus just turned 10. He had been an extremely healthy dog until a year ago when we started having issues with ear infections and some minor skin allergies. All in all it was nothing serious but I learned that my vet does not know bulldogs verywell, or that perhaps he was trying to squeeze every penny we had out of us. We live in a small town and dont have a lot of options. So, ruckus has begun to slow down a bit and show his age. About 7 months ago he began not being able to make it through the night without needing to go out. He bark and wake me up though, and not have an accident. He also doesn't jump on the couch, wrestle as much...etc, things that seem normal for an aging dog to change. About a month ago he began peeing alot. All the time. He suddenly went hold it for even an hour. If he dont force him outside on the hour, he will pee in the house. A few weeks ago he began not being able to poop. Actually, it's like he's confused. He tries to poop several times each time he goes outside but he doesn't need to. He's always pooped at the same few times a day. Now he tries to do it constantly. When he does poop, it's small amounts and kind of cat like. Spirally. He doesn't seem to be in pain. So, I know you're gonna tell me to get him to the vet. I know...he had an appointment. My problem is, my husband just thinks he's old. It's his time. His body is breaking down. I know if the vet says that he wants to run a 100 tests, which he will, my husband will say no...its his time. We should put him down. I feel like he was so healthy that it might just be an infection or something fixable and we shouldn't put him down. We do not trust our vet. He wants us to try every option for every possible illness. We cant spend another $3000-$5000 on him in order for our vet to final admit he's just not sure. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? So, I'm wondering if any of you experienced anything similar? I dont think it's a uti. What else is common in bully's that might cause the poop and pee issues but not effect them otherwise?

As I read this, my first thought, also, was Prostate. My second thought was, where are you located?, and possibly someone here can recommend a better,and "Bulldog" veterinarian for you. Your boy Ruckus has been your child and companion for 10 good years, and he deserves to have the best of care in his older years. I suppose your husband would dump you if you got ill? Sounds like your husband has no heart, and it's time for you to take the reins, and take Ruckus to a decent Vet to give him a decent chance in his older years-at least find out if he DOES have a chance. If you are with your husband, when HE gets "old", remind him of what he thought of poor Ruckus.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
AND;......... his body 'may' be breaking down, but that doesnt mean it's "his time". Just that he needs some help during this time . May be a simple fix and hope someone here has some answers. Maybe a blockage? I've seen dogs eat plastic and just have that 'ffeeling' they gotta go till itls all out. and as for the pee, i do think there are simple remedies for that. I have no ideas for you but wish you well and send prayers for your heart. It' hard to be conflicted when it comes to our 'kids' ...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=18509]SirRuckus[/MENTION] more n more EB lives a lot longer now cause ppl are more educated about what to feed their dogs. All boils down to food to start them off. Not time to listen to hubby saying it’s Ruckus time...like whooa, take a step back, CHANGE vets immediately! Prostate, blockage, UTI can be anything but sure doesn’t mean to put down a dog cause your vet is clueless. Like humans, get a 2nd opinion! There’s a list in here somewhere of vets maybe in your area.. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], where’s that list n the financial aid list? Oh n do show these post to hubby!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree... he needs a full blood work , prostate check and barium xray... it could be a number of things all fixable.

Where are you located so a member may recommend, if one on current list is not near you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

The Humane Society of the United States has a list of pet financial aid-related organizations that help with the cost of certain types of medical care for pets. Are You Having Trouble Affording Your Pet? : The Humane Society of the United States

Accreditated veterinary colleges may be slightly cheaper because their students learn as they are supervised by experienced veterinarians
https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDevelopment/Education/Accreditation/Colleges/Pages/colleges-accredited.aspx

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.