Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giardia- It's something you don't want your pet to get!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubs
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Giardia- It's something you don't want your pet to get!

Our little man tested positive for Giardia on his first vet visit. I was a little surprised because he didn't have any symptoms at all. He was put on a 3 day treatment of Panacur and then 3 weeks after he finished that he did another 3 day treatment and all was clear on his next sample. I am so sorry to hear about all the horrible experiences everyone has been having. I hope it gets better for everyone really soon! I also haven't had any issues with diarrhea, but my dad would give his little lady rice when she was suffering from it.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

"Has anyone else experienced Giardia? I would love to hear about your experience too. "

Good Day~
    Sad to say but yes. I took in a sample to the vet cuz something was going on with my dogs stool form. OK poop. I have 4 adult EBD, one new puppy and one 10yo lab. Something was not right. I called the vet office to get the results. The tech said, "the vet will have to talk to you about the results". I KNEW that was not good. Later that day the vet called and said it was Giradia. Here's the kick in the gut (or head)...she got if from my own back yard! GREAT, bad news, knowing that it was highly transmitable I knew if the others did not already have it, they would. So the vet sold me lots of panacur, enough for 3 days of each, 2 x @ day. I dropped off a new sample yesterday and will find out the results tommorrow.
    But what I don't know is where it came from? I keep bowls cleaned, yard picked up, but with stray cats, birds, rain...and living on irrigation property it could have come from anyplace. Over the past 20 years that I have lived there, I have never had Giardia.
    And yes it is VERY nasty, especially in the crates where they sleep. I pray it is gone. The BM (yes poop) is back to normal. Gross that we even have to look closely at that...eeewww...
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha Bubbles
    Likes (Received)

It is awful. Mocha was diagnosed last spring. She lost weight, diaherria was terrible,so weak she was. And she got it from drinking from a dirty bucket of water that my daughter and her friend got from a nearby pond. It took her about 8 days to recover, but She had to have IV's for 2 days. I wasnt aware you could purchase Panacur otc. It seems to make sense to have some in my doggy first aid kit.
    LisaMarie

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Good Day~
    While many meds are available on-line or from feed or pet stores, knowing the correct amount to administer is the most important lesson. be careful about using OTC meds and use them properly. Research from many places before doing.
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I want to just add that Giardia is very contagious and easy to transmit to other animals AND humans!!! I know from personal experience!!!!

Daddy was a rescue from an Amish puppy mill .... I was the one holding our new little baby as we drove him home, and a week later I was sicker than I have EVER been in my life. The pain was so excrutiating that I think I would have opted to give birth to another child with no pain meds, rather than experience that.

So if your bully gets diagnosed with giardia, I can not stress enough that you have to be EXTREMELY careful for yourself and your family too!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads