Atopica causing behavior changes?

Kristy

Aug 23, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubb Chubb
Hi guys,

has anyone heard of, or had experience with Atopica causing aggression in your bully? I tried doing some research and I haven't read anything about that being a side effect but i feel like it's changed my dog's behavior and I honestly feel it may be related.

Thanks!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm not familiar w/this product, but I found this article...
atopica-dangerous-dogs

My bulldog gets Cytopoint injections for allergies... it's kind of hit or miss, we are still in the newbie stages. What kinds of symptoms is your dog having?

OP
K

Kristy

Aug 23, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubb Chubb
He's currently on allergy shots and Atopica. The vet at the dermatologist did suggest trying Cytopoint injections but I haven't had a chance to read up on it as yet =/ his main issue is just his paws....red, swollen from licking, yeasty, itchy etc.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
He's currently on allergy shots and Atopica. The vet at the dermatologist did suggest trying Cytopoint injections but I haven't had a chance to read up on it as yet =/ his main issue is just his paws....red, swollen from licking, yeasty, itchy etc.

It would be great to know what is causing the yeast. What food are you feeding?

OP
K

Kristy

Aug 23, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubb Chubb
It would be great to know what is causing the yeast. What food are you feeding?

The yeast is forming b/c he keeps licking them and they remain moist and so his fur is red around his paws. He's eating Honest Kitchen, grain-free turkey.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just because it is listed as a side effect doesn't mean there is the possibility. You know your baby... stop the drug and see how things go.. then ask about Cytopoint shots see if they help.

Since you are on a good food... could be the grass or weeds are causing the iching making your baby lick the paws. Wipe his paws when you come in the house, just a cool wash cloth

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
a dog in pain of sorts often have aggression issues :( same as people, we get our fill of it!! Something i have started doing is getting that aloa from trader joes or walmart and keeping a jug in the fridge. I pour some into a cup then i dip my boys feet in it every couple of days and wipe them off or if we're going to hang out out on the porch, i just let the air dry. Seems to be helping lots and it's real reasonable.. about 7 bucks a large jug. I also put some in a cup and dip a cloth in it and wipe his face with that. Odly, this boy who usually fusses when being cleaned up (except for baths he LOVES them) has taken well to this process :)

OP
K

Kristy

Aug 23, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubb Chubb
Just because it is listed as a side effect doesn't mean there is the possibility. You know your baby... stop the drug and see how things go.. then ask about Cytopoint shots see if they help.

Since you are on a good food... could be the grass or weeds are causing the iching making your baby lick the paws. Wipe his paws when you come in the house, just a cool wash cloth

it's definitely wee and grass...we did an allergy test and he's positive for both!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it's definitely wee and grass...we did an allergy test and he's positive for both!

Cytopoint shots!! Our boy Lambeau is allergic (via test results) to everything green and the shots are a wonder for him

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.