OP
TooTooMommy

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
ONE MORE thing that is so sad----in the summers when it's deadly for them to be outside, hubby used to throw their favorite ball up and down the hallway over and overrr and they
LOVED it !!!!!! They had FUN and of course, great exercise in the safety of an air-conditioned house.

One vet kept harping about his weight making his arthritis worse---which of course, we agree and we cut wayyyy back on
his feedings. The problem is, he can't play anymore AT ALL, and just walking is hard for him, soooo, it's been hard for him
to lose weight! When he started ALL the pain meds, he weighed 82 and was eating A LOT more! Now, about a year later,
he's only lost a pound....poor guy! :fie:

Since we've cut his intake SO MUCH, I worry that he really isn't getting enough
nutrition. Of course, we've also discussed that with the vet, who assures us it's fine.

I'll post below EXACTLY what he's getting, and I'd appreciate your feedback/ thoughts. Or maybe I should start a new thread about this? :cool:
(I do realize that we can't just blindly believe what the food company says, but I still wonder if he's getting enough!)

The bag of "Earthborne Holistic" kibble says at 80 pounds, he can have up to FOUR + 1/4 cups/day ----he gets ONE
We mix it with Zignature (canned) Fish---The can says he can have 1 can----he gets HALF

Thanks again for everybully's input/ suggestions! Ohhhh, how we LOVE our sweet babies !!!!!!! :tongue:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
ONE MORE thing that is so sad----in the summers when it's deadly for them to be outside, hubby used to throw their favorite ball up and down the hallway over and overrr and they
LOVED it !!!!!! They had FUN and of course, great exercise in the safety of an air-conditioned house.

One vet kept harping about his weight making his arthritis worse---which of course, we agree and we cut wayyyy back on
his feedings. The problem is, he can't play anymore AT ALL, and just walking is hard for him, soooo, it's been hard for him
to lose weight! When he started ALL the pain meds, he weighed 82 and was eating A LOT more! Now, about a year later,
he's only lost a pound....poor guy! :fie:

Since we've cut his intake SO MUCH, I worry that he really isn't getting enough
nutrition. Of course, we've also discussed that with the vet, who assures us it's fine.

I'll post below EXACTLY what he's getting, and I'd appreciate your feedback/ thoughts. Or maybe I should start a new thread about this? :cool:
(I do realize that we can't just blindly believe what the food company says, but I still wonder if he's getting enough!)

The bag of "Earthborne Holistic" kibble says at 80 pounds, he can have up to FOUR + 1/4 cups/day ----he gets ONE
We mix it with Zignature (canned) Fish---The can says he can have 1 can----he gets HALF

Thanks again for everybully's input/ suggestions! Ohhhh, how we LOVE our sweet babies !!!!!!! :tongue:

Try cutting kibble to 3/4 cup with a 1/4 cup
Of frozen green beans.... I did this with my girl, she was 70 pounds and we got her down to 62 by doing this... green beans are a good filler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I would continue to focus on getting his weight down. If he were in my care, Iā€™d give him 1/2 cup of kibble twice daily combined with at least 1 cup of frozen green beans(heated, of course). This will fill him up and give him enough protein to sustain his relatively inactive body.
IMO, arthritis makes it painful/difficult to get going but once moving along things are Okay. Thatā€™s how it is for me anyway. If he starts hurting heā€™ll stop moving or start limping. Make sure you donā€™t venture farther away from home than you can carry him back.
Consider carrying a large bath towel or beach towel with you when walking so if he does decide heā€™s had enough, you can loop the towel under his chest and help him along. Years ago we had one of those canvas fire wood carriers that worked great for this.

firewood carrier.jpg

OP
TooTooMommy

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
I thank EVERYbully who's given such great info! We started giving them green beans and less kibble.
We need to look into CBD oil, and we'll get the supplements and other things all of you mentioned....Thanks again!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I thank EVERYbully who's given such great info! We started giving them green beans and less kibble.
We need to look into CBD oil, and we'll get the supplements and other things all of you mentioned....Thanks again!

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.