Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My EB 'Maximus' has, for the 2nd time, a front Paw infection. This is the (R) Paw. Previously he had the same type of infection on his front (L) paw.
He is currently on Clindamycin 2x per day. I have changed his food from FROMM Weight Management, to BROTHERS COMPLETE Advanced Allergy formula. I am spraying the 2 areas with Chlorhexidine spray and/or Vetericyn. I have bathed both Paws in a Chlorhexidine solution. But I wanted to share the PIC of his Paw to see what other members think of this. I have already emailed the PIC to his Veterinarian and his Dermatologist. P7050882.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hey Patrick.... looks like hot spots to me. Shave the area to let it dry out. As you know, it is all allergy/weak immune sytem related.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
It's very raised - like it is full of pus or something - He continues to lick it. The Vet Dermatologist saw the PIC of it - said I am doing the right things using Chlorhexidine and Vetericyn - thank goodness he is on the Clindamycin. The Dermatologist sees him on the 17th. I'm afraid to shave for fear of knicking it and causing it to bleed .......

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's very raised - like it is full of pus or something - He continues to lick it. The Vet Dermatologist saw the PIC of it - said I am doing the right things using Chlorhexidine and Vetericyn - thank goodness he is on the Clindamycin. The Dermatologist sees him on the 17th. I'm afraid to shave for fear of knicking it and causing it to bleed .......

Here is a great article form Dr. Becker on 'hotspots' .... if you can shave some of it, it will help, the fur traps dirt and oils which isn't good, it can help it spread.

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/04/21/treating-dog-hot-spots.aspx

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
There really is no hair on the Hotspots, but they are not healing despite the sprays and antibiotics - I think the Dermatologist will end up aspirating it and maybe changing his antibiotics.
The Apoquel of course is lowering his Immune response. He's on new food - Brother's Complete Advanced Allergy formula. Hopefully it will help.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
There really is no hair on the Hotspots, but they are not healing despite the sprays and antibiotics - I think the Dermatologist will end up aspirating it and maybe changing his antibiotics.
The Apoquel of course is lowering his Immune response. He's on new food - Brother's Complete Advanced Allergy formula. Hopefully it will help.

I hope they heal up soon. :(

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh, Patrick, poor Maximus!

Praying it heals soon and new food works well.

Please update us & give him love for me.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thank You, Carol - it is very kind of you to be thinking of Maximus. Well, today he goes to see his regular Veterinarian since she has not seen him in awhile (due to an accident she had that caused her to be out for 6-months), and then he sees his Dermatologist Vet on July 17th. Hopefully then we will have a new treatment plan and perhaps new antibiotics to help heal these skin infections. Thank you again for your concern and kindness.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank You, Carol - it is very kind of you to be thinking of Maximus. Well, today he goes to see his regular Veterinarian since she has not seen him in awhile (due to an accident she had that caused her to be out for 6-months), and then he sees his Dermatologist Vet on July 17th. Hopefully then we will have a new treatment plan and perhaps new antibiotics to help heal these skin infections. Thank you again for your concern and kindness.

Patrick... are you giving a probiotic since he is on antibiotics? refrigerated sauerkraut, raw goats milk, plain greek yogurt, HerbsSmith Microflora?

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus was on Probiotics, but then I ran out, and never replaced them. So, I do have to order them again. He saw his Vet yesterday for a quite observation-exam ....
She said his paws need alot of care ... as in between the toes are beet red, so I have to use Neo-Predef powder. Plus the paw pads in between the toes are even worse.....
Beet red. He sees the Dermatologist next week. Will have an update for you then.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus was on Probiotics, but then I ran out, and never replaced them. So, I do have to order them again. He saw his Vet yesterday for a quite observation-exam ....
She said his paws need alot of care ... as in between the toes are beet red, so I have to use Neo-Predef powder. Plus the paw pads in between the toes are even worse.....
Beet red. He sees the Dermatologist next week. Will have an update for you then.

With all the meds probiotics are vital...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Hello, Patrick & Maximus, hoping for an update. Just now back on myself
but have kept y'all in my thoughts & prayers every day. Please love on Maximus
for me, XOXO

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi Patrick,,,, just seeing this (my eyes are having issues so on here much less than normal) Something i have been doing for my Hank (as he comes in from outside and goes to licking his paws a bit since spring ) is, i went and bought the big jug of aloa vera juice from trader joes (walmart has as well and cheap in both places) and pour some of the juice (it's also kept in fridge so nice and cold) into a coffee mug and dip each foot into it then pull apart his toes a bit pulling out anything in them (pollins etc??) and rince again in the cup. These guys have such thick pads that if not cleaned regularly, they get that black gunk as well so it has fixed that. Though your Maximus doesnt look at all like the cysts they can get, it still may be an allergic response to grasses etc (is he a "knuckle dragger?) and this cleans and helps heal. Just some thoughts, as well as prayers for your boy. and btw,,, Hank LOVES this process. Hates his feet messed with normaly, but for some reason, took right to this.... go figure :/ that and the bootie (ok, his tail pocket ;) are his favorite things :)

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
UPDATE::: Well, I got an Email from the Vet Dermatologist telling me that the Culture came back, as MRSS - Methicillin resistant Staph, and E. Coli.

He is prescribing Chloramphenicol 3x daily.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE::: Well, I got an Email from the Vet Dermatologist telling me that the Culture came back, as MRSS - Methicillin resistant Staph, and E. Coli.

He is prescribing Chloramphenicol 3x daily.

Poor Maximus... i hope he heals quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online