Help Needed! Bald and black spots on my bulldog’s head. Allergies?

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
Hi guys,

My bulldog started getting bald spots on his head, the back of his neck and the side of his face about 2 weeks ago. And the infected skin gets blackened and seems quite dry and flakey.

We give him coconut oil every night with his food and have also read that fish oil can be good for their skin. We live in Hong Kong and it’s very hot and humid here at the moment so we’re only taking him out at night when it’s cooler, not sure if it could be a lack of sunlight. It’s also raining a lot here.

It would be great help if any of you know what causes this, had similar experiences before or can suggest some cream or other treatments.

We changed his food from Royal Canin Bulldog mix to Fromm Lamb & Lentil about 2 months ago, we also give him fresh fruit and vegetables for lunch then home cooked meals at night.

Thank you very much!

4283761e76d2ff74cafc85c583dba495.jpg
55793a8f27b3b461c59dd40f67ccaccb.jpg
a90c072eaa43e6e07ee32dd66886b86e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Perhaps a staph infection? Allergy related? I would wash him with chlorehexidine (diluted on a pad or use dog shampoo with chlorehexidine) and take him to a vet if he is bothered or if it gets worse.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed -- it is probably a staph infection usually due to a weaken immune system.... you'll need to go to the vet for antibiotics and it is good to start giving a probiotic to help strengthen the immune system.... plain yogurt, refrigerated sauerkraut, for example.

if under a year of age, it might be mange, but a vet will confirm

OP
Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
Perhaps a staph infection? Allergy related? I would wash him with chlorehexidine (diluted on a pad or use dog shampoo with chlorehexidine) and take him to a vet if he is bothered or if it gets worse.

Thank you so much for your advice! Just got some shampoo with chlorehexidine, will give it a try and hopefully he’ll get better.

OP
Sparky the Bullie

Sparky the Bullie

Sep 6, 2017
Hong Kong
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sparky
Agreed -- it is probably a staph infection usually due to a weaken immune system.... you'll need to go to the vet for antibiotics and it is good to start giving a probiotic to help strengthen the immune system.... plain yogurt, refrigerated sauerkraut, for example.

if under a year of age, it might be mange, but a vet will confirm

Thank you! We are trying medicated shampoo now and see if he gets better. And will give him yoghurt for his immune system too [emoji4]

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.