hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
Aibou is now twelve years old and has been through the wars the last few years. We believe he had a stroke about three years ago, he has gone virtually blind, and his arthritis is very bad.

His vet is starting to raise the possibility of him being "put to sleep" and my ex-partner who lives with me thinks he should be (especially when he was somewhat urinary incontinent, although he is currently ok again in that regard).

I am reluctant but don't want the fact that I am extremely close to him to muddle my judgment, as I don't want him to suffer unnecessarily.
Old Aibou.jpg
As regards the cons:

(a) He has to be on a lot of pain medication (3 x 50mg carprieve (aka rimadyl/carprofen) and 3 tablets tramadol a day); if he does not get that he whimpers.
(b) He cannot walk much at all - now his walks are just pottering around say 50 metres (150 feet); because of our living situation I usually have to carry him a fair way for his walks (and he is a super size bulldog about 38kg (84 lbs) so heavy to lift and carry, especially up steps).
(c) He seems to have something wrong with his stomach eg when he lies down will quite often lie down on his front for a while with his back in the air
(d) He is virtually blind (and his eyes get dry so need drops) and bumps into things and falls awkwardly on his legs sometimes
(d) About once a day he gets very restless and I can't figure out why (he has had food, drink, been taken outside multiple times to relieve himself - but is still restless for 20 mins - 1/2 hour)
(e) He is somewhat listless, sleeps more than usual, does not show enthusiasm much, has stopped eating some foods and his treats; it is better that someone can stay home to look after him (which fortunately I can as I mainly work from home)

As regards the pros:

(a) He still loves his little walks, especially where there are lots of dog smells and other dogs (his tail goes right up)
(b) He still enjoys some foods (softer foods like mince meat)
(c) He still barks crazily if someone knocks on the door or our other dog barks
(d) He still enjoys lying outside on the balcony in the (here now winter) sun on a foam mattress with a blanket over him
(d) His pain is controlled with the medication and he has been a lot better since we upped the dosages.
(e) He has recovered in the past eg after his stroke and getting blind he got totally confused but that generally came right.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any thoughts or comments. My thought is he is getting towards the end and I don't want to keep him longer than is appropriate. So if he is in pain and we can't control that, or if he just does not have any real quality of life, then it will be time for him to be "put to sleep". But I don't think we are quite there yet.

PS: Please no reference to sentimental stuff like "rainbow heaven" - that is fine for those that helps, but not for me!

Thanks very much, Chris

Krissie

May 31, 2018
Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Quinn & Ivy
I'm really sorry to hear he's at the end. I know if it were me...I wouldn't be able to do it yet...not until I really felt he was done. You'll know.

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
I know how hard of a decision it is, I had to make it last year too. But you’ll know when it’s time. When his quality of life isn’t there anymore, and you just sit with him, you’ll know. It’s not easy, and it’s never what WE want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Very hard to decide for sure. Personally I wouldn’t let mine go through all these cons. Your cons overpowers your pros. Yes it’s not what you want to hear. You’re asking for guidance as you’re not sure what to do. We will all give you different opinions. We’re not in your shoes. Some been there for sure.... But at the end of the day, only you will answer your question.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I’m very sorry that you are getting closer to this awful moment. But I think his quality of life is not so poor to put him down. Dogs don’t have abstract thinking like we have and they don’t compare how they felt before sickness and how they feel now. In other words he doesn’t think “oh, I cannot see well, I cannot walk well, I’m miserable because of this”. He actually doesn’t think anything about it, he just waits pain to stop, and after you give him tablets, he is absolutely happy again, as he doesn’t know that tomorrow pain will come back. They take every day, every bowl of food and walk with owner with gratitude. They enjoy it 100 % with what they have. It doesn’t matter if dog is blind, lost leg etc. For sure, his appetite is worse, as he probably loses his sense of smell etc, needs less food. When he runs into wall because of poor vision, he thinks nothing about it, he just gets up and walks further.
In my opinion, unless dog is in big constant pain, he enjoys his life the way he is able to enjoy, and there is no need to euthanise him. I know it is so hard to see their suffering, breaks your heart, but this is our human burden, we take responsibility for dogs because they cannot take care of themselves and we have to be strong for them.
p.s. May be for transportation you could use an inexpensive shopping trolley? Many people use it for bulldogs, because these guys aren’t the best walkers even when they are young.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have stated... you will know when it is time. Natalia is 100% correct... dogs do not think as we do in terms of today vs tomorrow, it is all present time.

If he still has all those pros, with the cons, he may just need a medication adjustment. My girl Banks had very bad arthritis in her spine and we managed her pain with Gabapetin and Tramadol— Gabapetin was great for her along with laser therapy.

Sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts to you both

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sorry to hear. Perhaps CBD ( cannabadiol ) oil might be worth trying as well. I haven't tried it but others on this group have.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry that you are having to make this decision... it's heartbreaking, and I've been thru it a few times. IMO this is a decision you have to make on your own... YOU know your baby, and if he seems off or miserable then you know it's time. One of the hardest issues is that like humans, they will have good and bad days... so you are left questioning your decision. I say if the pain meds aren't working, then you need to consider his quality of life. Like Christine said, a change of meds may be all that is needed...

We are here for you... if you need us :hug:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
We know our pets better than any other person (even the Dr.) you will know when Aibou is ready.....

OP
H

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
We had a bit of a rough week this past week as Aibou had oneday where he vomited up five separate times, was very listless and ate nothingthat day, although he has gotten better since. I will be following the vetsadvice to cook his food at all times, as although he has eaten raw much of hislife he now seems too old to avoid getting sick sometimes from non-cooked food.
Thank you for all your comments; as some specific responses:
@lalaloopsie yes you are right that dogs do live in themoment - so as long as Aibou seems to have some enjoyment of life (walks andfood) and be adequately comfortable in the moment for the great majority of thetime, I think he continues to have sufficient quality of life.
@2BullyMama – it is interesting you mentioned gabapentin asbeing good, as the vet had wondered if Aibou had been taking carprieve (rimadyl/carprofen)too long, and had suggested that as an alternative. I was concerned as on aprevious occasion I took Aibou off carprieve, replacing it with tramadol andhis pain worsened significantly after a few days – but maybe gabapentin andtramadol might be enough; anyway I will get some on our next vet visit.
@DollysOwner – thanks for the suggestion but CBD oil canonly be gotten here since 1 April 2018 with doctor prescription – so doubt vetscan prescribe.
Thank you all for your comments - many of the comments werealong the lines of I will know when it is time; I think that will be when Ifeel his quality of life is mainly not there any more. The vet who seems to bepushing for him to be “put to sleep” said it is better to euthanize him beforehe starts unnecessarily suffering, not after, and I do have to keep that inmind. I still think at the moment, contrary to the vet and my ex-partner, thateven if he does sleep most of the day, and I have to carry him around most ofthe time, it is not time yet as the pain meds seem to be effective and he enjoyssome foods and just lying in the sun; his tail was right up when we went to hisfavourite walk today.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had a bit of a rough week this past week as Aibou had oneday where he vomited up five separate times, was very listless and ate nothingthat day, although he has gotten better since. I will be following the vetsadvice to cook his food at all times, as although he has eaten raw much of hislife he now seems too old to avoid getting sick sometimes from non-cooked food.
Thank you for all your comments; as some specific responses:
@lalaloopsie yes you are right that dogs do live in themoment - so as long as Aibou seems to have some enjoyment of life (walks andfood) and be adequately comfortable in the moment for the great majority of thetime, I think he continues to have sufficient quality of life.
@2BullyMama – it is interesting you mentioned gabapentin asbeing good, as the vet had wondered if Aibou had been taking carprieve (rimadyl/carprofen)too long, and had suggested that as an alternative. I was concerned as on aprevious occasion I took Aibou off carprieve, replacing it with tramadol andhis pain worsened significantly after a few days – but maybe gabapentin andtramadol might be enough; anyway I will get some on our next vet visit.
@DollysOwner – thanks for the suggestion but CBD oil canonly be gotten here since 1 April 2018 with doctor prescription – so doubt vetscan prescribe.
Thank you all for your comments - many of the comments werealong the lines of I will know when it is time; I think that will be when Ifeel his quality of life is mainly not there any more. The vet who seems to bepushing for him to be “put to sleep” said it is better to euthanize him beforehe starts unnecessarily suffering, not after, and I do have to keep that inmind. I still think at the moment, contrary to the vet and my ex-partner, thateven if he does sleep most of the day, and I have to carry him around most ofthe time, it is not time yet as the pain meds seem to be effective and he enjoyssome foods and just lying in the sun; his tail was right up when we went to hisfavourite walk today.

Enjoy the time with him, love and spoil each day.... keep us posted and we are sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts

OP
H

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
SDC11963.jpgSDC11930.jpgSDC12007.jpgFew pics from his younger days. Thanks 2BullyMama - will try and spoil him although it needs to be giving him affection or taking him to a nice walk as he is eating less foods. Does anyone know of a good way to get him to take his (numerous) pills - this morning he didn't want his mince (chicken or steak seems to give him a runny tummy), and it is critical he gets his medications. Thanks

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
View attachment 113015View attachment 113016View attachment 113017Few pics from his younger days. Thanks 2BullyMama - will try and spoil him although it needs to be giving him affection or taking him to a nice walk as he is eating less foods. Does anyone know of a good way to get him to take his (numerous) pills - this morning he didn't want his mince (chicken or steak seems to give him a runny tummy), and it is critical he gets his medications. Thanks

Beautiful photos. Yes stil the pills in cheese...

Damm auto correct lol.. stick the pills in cheese lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 113015View attachment 113016View attachment 113017Few pics from his younger days. Thanks 2BullyMama - will try and spoil him although it needs to be giving him affection or taking him to a nice walk as he is eating less foods. Does anyone know of a good way to get him to take his (numerous) pills - this morning he didn't want his mince (chicken or steak seems to give him a runny tummy), and it is critical he gets his medications. Thanks

I used vanilla ice cream for Nitschke, he was always a problem taking meds and would eat the treat and spit out pill... ice cream is cold so they just swallow

Members online

No members online now.