Here we go again...

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
If surgery is the best option, Iā€™ll do it. Long term steroids is not a long term option for me and I donā€™t want him to have to be in a crate 24/7 for the rest of his life. This has now been going on for a month, crate rest and meds and as soon as he started tapering off the steroids, the issue came back and was worse.

Iā€™m just tired of the ER vets telling me heā€™s fine. Heā€™s not fine! Listen to me and pull his chart so you can see his history. Iā€™m glad they were able to squeeze him in for the MRI and to see the neurologist yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope everything goes well with neurologist. Are you using SVSC out of Lynnwood?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
If surgery is the best option, Iā€™ll do it. Long term steroids is not a long term option for me and I donā€™t want him to have to be in a crate 24/7 for the rest of his life. This has now been going on for a month, crate rest and meds and as soon as he started tapering off the steroids, the issue came back and was worse.

Iā€™m just tired of the ER vets telling me heā€™s fine. Heā€™s not fine! Listen to me and pull his chart so you can see his history. Iā€™m glad they were able to squeeze him in for the MRI and to see the neurologist yesterday.

oh Citty, I send prayers for comfort in all this. What a horrible spot your in and all you want to know is WHAT IS GOING ON! well, and can it be fixed. I dread something like this to happen so am trying to gather all the enjoyment and strength now so i can think clearly if something that needs work can be dealt with. Bless your heart, and i hope you have many comfortable years with him to come.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I hope everything goes well with neurologist. Are you using SVSC out of Lynnwood?

Yup, VSC on 44th in Lynnwood. Iā€™m sure the ER is fine for general stuff but they just donā€™t know about IVDD and Jax goes walking in and acts like a Frenchie, wants attention, kisses and belly rubs plus probably running on adrenaline from the stress of being there so then he shows no signs of pain.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oh Citty, I send prayers for comfort in all this. What a horrible spot your in and all you want to know is WHAT IS GOING ON! well, and can it be fixed. I dread something like this to happen so am trying to gather all the enjoyment and strength now so i can think clearly if something that needs work can be dealt with. Bless your heart, and i hope you have many comfortable years with him to come.

Itā€™s so stressful. I just want him to have no pain and be a dog. Heā€™s so sad laying in the crate doped up on drugs. That is no life for a dog. I donā€™t know if theyā€™re going to tell me to wait on surgery but I donā€™t want him on steroids forever. Heā€™s been on crate rest and different meds for a month now. And of course I blame myself, like oh maybe I shouldnā€™t have let him run around the yard, etc.

Iā€™m also going to pick up CBD oil. I gave it to him after his first surgery but then stopped. I think I will try it long term.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Itā€™s so stressful. I just want him to have no pain and be a dog. Heā€™s so sad laying in the crate doped up on drugs. That is no life for a dog. I donā€™t know if theyā€™re going to tell me to wait on surgery but I donā€™t want him on steroids forever. Heā€™s been on crate rest and different meds for a month now. And of course I blame myself, like oh maybe I shouldnā€™t have let him run around the yard, etc.

Iā€™m also going to pick up CBD oil. I gave it to him after his first surgery but then stopped. I think I will try it long term.

you were letting him be a dog, please no guilt or blame. I understand and would prob be the same but I can see clearly that it is not your fault. I'm just so sorry that you have to go through it. I can not take stuff (watch pain) (or sad) much at all anymore. I just hope things come together In a good way soon. hugs

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh man, I am just seeing this. POOR JAX !!! So sorry for him and your stress, I am keeping him (and you of course) in my prayers that he gets relief and you can not worry. BIG BULLY HUGS from Joey and I

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sending prayers for you and Jax. Knowing how worries can wear you down.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Any more updates?

The neurologist is waiting for the final MRI report which should hopefully come in today. I really have no idea if they are going to recommend surgery or more crate rest but at this point, my heart is telling me do surgery. I just ordered some GLM powder that is supposed to be good for joints and some CBD oil as well. And we just have to be more restrictive with him. I talked to my regular vet last night and he said if I can do it, do surgery while he is otherwise healthy and mobile. With IVDD, the longer you wait to do something, the more damage can be done and paralysis is always a possibility, which is why whenever I notice pain and trembling I freak out.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The neurologist is waiting for the final MRI report which should hopefully come in today. I really have no idea if they are going to recommend surgery or more crate rest but at this point, my heart is telling me do surgery. I just ordered some GLM powder that is supposed to be good for joints and some CBD oil as well. And we just have to be more restrictive with him. I talked to my regular vet last night and he said if I can do it, do surgery while he is otherwise healthy and mobile. With IVDD, the longer you wait to do something, the more damage can be done and paralysis is always a possibility, which is why whenever I notice pain and trembling I freak out.

Follow your gut!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

(((Hugs)))))

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finally spoke to the neurologist and Jax is scheduled for surgery on Sunday. His discs are more dried up than since the last MRI but the (I guess) good news is there is no significant difference with his other discs since last time. So while there is always the chance for another reoccurrence, this will get rid of his current pain and once recovered, he can get out of that damn crate!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Finally spoke to the neurologist and Jax is scheduled for surgery on Sunday. His discs are more dried up than since the last MRI but the (I guess) good news is there is no significant difference with his other discs since last time. So while there is always the chance for another reoccurrence, this will get rid of his current pain and once recovered, he can get out of that damn crate!

So it can come back even at that age?
Ok time to do some research for my little Jax! Iā€™m putting my thinking cap! :detective2:

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
So it can come back even at that age?
Ok time to do some research for my little Jax! Iā€™m putting my thinking cap! :detective2:

It will always be a possibility. All of his discs are dried so he has no cushion support. We already carry him up and down the stairs. We try to limit his jumping on/ off the couch but impossible to do 100% of the time. Once heā€™s able, weā€™ll start back with the acupuncture and laser therapy. Gonna get him on CBD oil and Iā€™ve ordered some green lip mussel which is supposed to be good for the joints. He has a sensitive tummy so other supplements Iā€™ve tried have caused him to vomit so I have to be careful.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It will always be a possibility. All of his discs are dried so he has no cushion support. We already carry him up and down the stairs. We try to limit his jumping on/ off the couch but impossible to do 100% of the time. Once heā€™s able, weā€™ll start back with the acupuncture and laser therapy. Gonna get him on CBD oil and Iā€™ve ordered some green lip mussel which is supposed to be good for the joints. He has a sensitive tummy so other supplements Iā€™ve tried have caused him to vomit so I have to be careful.

Was about to say acupuncture but youā€™re going to be doing it after surgery. Have you ever heard of Tui Na massage?

On the link if you scroll youā€™ll see a video with Dr Becker. I know you like her. Have a look.

Intervertebral Disc Disease - Canine Arthritis And Joint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_AkpiCYSQY

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.