Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
As most of you know, my little Jax was diagnosed with IVDD last summer and had surgery to repair a herniated disc in his neck. Over a month ago, he started having spasms so we did crate rest and pain meds. Spasms continued so made an appointment with the neurologist a couple weeks ago. She said the spasms are most likely due to the IVDD but she thought it could be nerve roots inflammation so we did short term steroids which he is now tapering off. While in the steroids he was still in the crate with no spasms. But now he isnā€™t getting the steroid every day and today he started having spasms again, yelped when I picked him up, tense body when standing and some trembling.

So he is now getting an MRI tomorrow. So of course itā€™s always risky when they are out under so I need some prayers and positive thoughts for my baby boy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
TONS of prayers, positive thoughts and love to you both!

I hope he can get some relief

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my gosh, I'm SO sorry... poor baby just can't catch a break. Of course sending lots of hugs and prayers your way... please keep us posted today!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You got this Jax! Positive vibes coming your way......

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] Poor little Jax. I am so sorry that he(and you) are going through this again. Having had back trouble for many years, I can feel his pain,and hope meds can help.
Sending many prayers for the little guy! :pray2::pray::heartsign:

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I took him to the ER last night and of course they told me he was fine and they could send me home with codeine and then he can follow up with the neurologist on June 24 which is when his appointment is. I said he is not okay and that last time this happened they told me he was fine and then less than a week later he had to have surgery. I know my dog. Heā€™s in pain. I just get so frustrated that these ER vets know nothing about IVDD. So they said he could see a different neurologist today and theyā€™ll do an MRI. As soon as I took him home last night he was trembling and trembled all night.

I dropped him off this morning. They didnā€™t think heā€™d get the MRI until the afternoon but now Iā€™m basically just waiting.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Geez. Stick to your guns as we say. Youā€™ve been there. Keep us posted!!!

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finally heard from vet. Jax made it through! And as I suspected, he has another herniated disc. So heā€™s coming home and will go back on steroids and this neurologist is going to have a radiologist look at the findings and then sheā€™ll talk to the original neurologist on Monday and have a pow wow to see if another surgery is the best option.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
so sorry for all this. It's so awful hard to get through and i send prayers for comfort for all .

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh, I missed begin of the ordeal, so happy that something good happened, at least Jax did well on mri. May be for painkillers discuss medical marijuana or CBD ( not sure if marijuana is legal in your state, but CBD I think is legal everywhere).
Sending you lots of prayers and hugs!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Finally heard from vet. Jax made it through! And as I suspected, he has another herniated disc. So heā€™s coming home and will go back on steroids and this neurologist is going to have a radiologist look at the findings and then sheā€™ll talk to the original neurologist on Monday and have a pow wow to see if another surgery is the best option.

WAY TO GO... sticking to your gut and getting them to do the MRI!! i hope he doesnā€™t need surgery again! Poor little man, Lots of love being sent

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh, I missed begin of the ordeal, so happy that something good happened, at least Jax did well on mri. May be for painkillers discuss medical marijuana or CBD ( not sure if marijuana is legal in your state, but CBD I think is legal everywhere).

My son's older chihuahua has bad hips, and he started giving her cbd, and she is doing much better most of the time and moving around better.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

I gave Jax CBD oil after his first surgery. Iā€™m planning on going to get some today and probably just keeping him on it this time.

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
WAY TO GO... sticking to your gut and getting them to do the MRI!! i hope he doesnā€™t need surgery again! Poor little man, Lots of love being sent

If surgery is the best option, Iā€™ll do it. Long term steroids is not a long term option for me and I donā€™t want him to have to be in a crate 24/7 for the rest of his life. This has now been going on for a month, crate rest and meds and as soon as he started tapering off the steroids, the issue came back and was worse.

Iā€™m just tired of the ER vets telling me heā€™s fine. Heā€™s not fine! Listen to me and pull his chart so you can see his history. Iā€™m glad they were able to squeeze him in for the MRI and to see the neurologist yesterday.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.