KingstonsMama

Jun 15, 2018
California
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingston
Hey Fellow Bully Lovers!

My husband and I are considering moving to France with our two dogs, we have a 9 year old English Bulldog(55lbs)and a 7 year old Formosan mountain dog(58lbs). We live in Los Angeles and are planning to move to the South of France. I was wondering if any of you know how it is possible to fly with my English Bulldog and my other pup. I am very concerned of flying with Kingston (English Bulldog) I donā€™t even know if its possible, I would never put him in cargo... ever! I also have looked into a cruise ship but they canā€™t stay with you, they have to be kept in an isolated area and you can only visit them on visiting hours. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!ā™„ļø
E1D1646F-5993-4010-A08A-5F6BD2AC6E96.jpegA4D15F89-8676-4044-A06C-1B6B71BA9490.jpeg

Attachments

• A4D15F89-8676-4044-A06C-1B6B71BA9490.jpeg
    A4D15F89-8676-4044-A06C-1B6B71BA9490.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 226

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
Hopefully someone will be able to give you some helpful advice, but I must say, your pups are beautiful!
Best wishes on your move to France!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] might give you some insight on this.....

I know here West Jet flies EB. WJ flies everywhere so double check with them. I would do the cruise since youā€™re in LA and if you go to france itā€™s a good 13hrs. All dogs are quarantined no matter what when you go to another country.

OP
K

KingstonsMama

Jun 15, 2018
California
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingston
Thanks guys, I am so nervous I just want all the input and advice I can getā™„ļø

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
[MENTION=15780]Lalaloopsie[/MENTION] might give you some insight on this.....

I know here West Jet flies EB. WJ flies everywhere so double check with them. I would do the cruise since youā€™re in LA and if you go to france itā€™s a good 13hrs. All dogs are quarantined no matter what when you go to another country.

Do you mean they are quarantined during the journey or when they arrive in the other country? If it is the latter, that is not true. If you are going to EU countries, you need proof of rabies shot and when I travelled with mine, a titer test to confirm plus health certificates. I took a dog, 2 cats and a parrot. Other countries vary.

Unless you have a charter flight, they have to travel in the hold as cargo. They are not allowed in the cabin.
I certainly agree about the cruise. Much less stress and MUCH, much safer. I brought Chumly back from the UK and he was so stressed, I thought we might lose him. Never again.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you mean they are quarantined during the journey or when they arrive in the other country? If it is the latter, that is not true. If you are going to EU countries, you need proof of rabies shot and when I travelled with mine, a titer test to confirm plus health certificates. I took a dog, 2 cats and a parrot. Other countries vary.

Unless you have a charter flight, they have to travel in the hold as cargo. They are not allowed in the cabin.
I certainly agree about the cruise. Much less stress and MUCH, much safer. I brought Chumly back from the UK and he was so stressed, I thought we might lose him. Never again.

A family member went to U.K. with her dog which was all up to date in shots. They still kept the dog in quarantine. Seems even with paperwork if a country decide to check further into the paperwork, they do. But yes youā€™re right about your post. On the other hand UK still kept the dog for a few days.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
A family member went to U.K. with her dog which was all up to date in shots. They still kept the dog in quarantine. Seems even with paperwork if a country decide to check further into the paperwork, they do. But yes youā€™re right about your post. On the other hand UK still kept the dog for a few days.

They have very specific rules about the paperwork and it all has to be done in order. Having said that, taking the dog and cats in was a breeze compared to the parrot! The paperwork and rules for him were a nightmare.

If anyone is interested, read this
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pe...ococcus/pet-travel-echinococcus-treatments-uk

OP
K

KingstonsMama

Jun 15, 2018
California
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Kingston
I actually work at a vet so I know all the paperwork wonā€™t be too bad. If we do the cruise I know itā€™ll be quite a journey! We would have to road trip from Los Angeles to New York then the cruise from NY to th UK then another road trip from th UK to France. I did a lot of thinking last night and I am just way too nervous for the plane, if I lost my boy because of flying I would never forgive myself

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I actually work at a vet so I know all the paperwork wonā€™t be too bad. If we do the cruise I know itā€™ll be quite a journey! We would have to road trip from Los Angeles to New York then the cruise from NY to th UK then another road trip from th UK to France. I did a lot of thinking last night and I am just way too nervous for the plane, if I lost my boy because of flying I would never forgive myself

Better take a few extra days and all arrive safely. :)

BellyRubs

Jun 7, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabelle
Your doggies are beautiful. Iā€™m an airline pilot who works for a company with a wonderful reputation for animal transport and I still would not ship my Annabelle via an airline. We have a special team to ensure animals are taken care of which makes me happy. However I see many dogs while doing the preflight walk around outside and all of them from labs to huskies to shepherds and everything in between are panting and look nervous. My wife and I would never put our bull through that. In fact one of the largest airlines in the world just banned all (I think) brachycephalic breeds due to liability issues.

We were actually just discussing this as we just returned from vacation abroad and if we had to transport our dog a long distance we would either drive or charter a private jet. The latter is out of the question as we cannot afford it so driving would have to work.

I cannot speak to shipping via a cruise but just the two cents of a bulldog owner and lover regarding shipping via air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
With regards QM2, The kennels are limited and from what I have read, there is usually a years waiting list.

What amazes me is that there are no other boats, either liners or merchant shipping that will take pets. It needs to change especially with flying so often ruled out for one reason or another.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Just for grins, I checked and it is about $100,000 from Houston to London. Out of my price range!!!!!
From Boston, MA (quite a bit closer) to London, it is over $50,000. Ain't going to happen!

There really aren't many options when you want to move pets overseas. It's flying in the hold or on the QM2 (unless you are rich, of course). It's not right.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Just for grins, I checked and it is about $100,000 from Houston to London. Out of my price range!!!!!
From Boston, MA (quite a bit closer) to London, it is over $50,000. Ain't going to happen!

There really aren't many options when you want to move pets overseas. It's flying in the hold or on the QM2 (unless you are rich, of course). It's not right.

HOLY ****. :faint:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online