Help Needed! Pericardial effusion? Cardiac tamponade? I need some advice...

OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
Thank ALL OF YOU for being so kind to me. An update:

I thought Addy's gums were looking kind of pale and she was just not looking good to me so I went ahead and took her in to the vet today. In part- it seemed to be an overreaction for me. Her pulse was good. All of her vitals were normal. She was able to hear Addy's heart fine and there was no indication that there was fluid around her heart. Her belly, however, is very swollen. She suspected fluid in the tummy and recommended we pull out a bunch to make her more comfortable then send the fluid off for evaluation. The doctor tried several spots in Addy's abdomen but just could not find very much fluid. She pulled out maybe a syringe full. It was enough to send off for evaluation, but it does not appear to be what is making Addy's belly swollen. Her guess is a very large tumor. We will know more after testing comes back. It is a poor prognosis. She wants to just give Addy a few days and see how she progresses, then maybe we will consider trying to get an abdominal ultrasound. She doesnt seem to think Addy will last more than three days, however. My heart is so crushed. She really is such a good girl and so wonderful with my daughter. Right now she gave her a shot to help keep her nausea down and see if we can encourage her to eat. She prescribed an appetite enhancer which I am hesitant to use because I had a horrific experience with them with my last dog who was also dying. She wants us to continue the fluid pills as before. Give her Kaopectate (sorry I know I misspelled that) and give her pedialyte. I am finding it really hard not to live in a constant state of grief.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I’m so, so sorry for your situation! This is so heartbreaking! Please take care of yourself and we all will pray for you! Hugs for you and your poor girl!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I thought Addy's gums were looking kind of pale and she was just not looking good to me so I went ahead and took her in to the vet today. In part- it seemed to be an overreaction for me. Her pulse was good. All of her vitals were normal. She was able to hear Addy's heart fine and there was no indication that there was fluid around her heart. Her belly, however, is very swollen. She suspected fluid in the tummy and recommended we pull out a bunch to make her more comfortable then send the fluid off for evaluation. The doctor tried several spots in Addy's abdomen but just could not find very much fluid. She pulled out maybe a syringe full. It was enough to send off for evaluation, but it does not appear to be what is making Addy's belly swollen. Her guess is a very large tumor. We will know more after testing comes back. It is a poor prognosis. She wants to just give Addy a few days and see how she progresses, then maybe we will consider trying to get an abdominal ultrasound. She doesnt seem to think Addy will last more than three days, however. My heart is so crushed. She really is such a good girl and so wonderful with my daughter. Right now she gave her a shot to help keep her nausea down and see if we can encourage her to eat. She prescribed an appetite enhancer which I am hesitant to use because I had a horrific experience with them with my last dog who was also dying. She wants us to continue the fluid pills as before. Give her Kaopectate (sorry I know I misspelled that) and give her pedialyte. I am finding it really hard not to live in a constant state of grief.

Oh gosh I'm so sorry... this post brought me to tears. Pleas know that we are all here for you!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Many of us are praying for you. Many of us know what you are feeling. Just know in your heart that you have done the best that could be done,and Addy knows that,too,
:pray::pray::heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How was today?

Sending lots of prayers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
How was today?

Sending lots of prayers

Thank you again. <3 Today was okay. She definitely is not herself, but she seems to be trying. She ate some ham this morning, very hesitantly. She seems really mopey unless I take her outside. She loves to sit on the back patio with me. She also got really excited to go for a ride today. A funny thing did happen. Last week I was serving her chicken and rice for every meal but she started to refuse it (thus me giving her literally anything she will eat). She really hadn't eaten much to speak of the last few days. I decided to cook our chicken for dinner early. I baked some lemon sage chicken about 11 or so. When I pulled it out of the oven Addy was just standing by the oven staring at me. I realized she was drooling like crazy. I cut some chicken up and sat on the floor with her. She wandered over and sniffed at it but didn't eat any right away. With a little encouragement though, she ate about half a chicken breast! She has so far eaten chicken two more times. I know it doesn't mean everything is going to be okay, but at least she might be a little more comfortable. This was without me giving her the appetite stimulant. She had a diarrhea , but I have not given her any medicine for it yet because I am not 100% sure I actually got her the right thing. I will ask the vet tomorrow. It is a day to day thing. Part of me wants to think "maybe she'll be okay" but I know she's not. I will learn what the test results are tomorrow. She is enjoying her pedialyte and drinking water on her own.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you again. <3 Today was okay. She definitely is not herself, but she seems to be trying. She ate some ham this morning, very hesitantly. She seems really mopey unless I take her outside. She loves to sit on the back patio with me. She also got really excited to go for a ride today. A funny thing did happen. Last week I was serving her chicken and rice for every meal but she started to refuse it (thus me giving her literally anything she will eat). She really hadn't eaten much to speak of the last few days. I decided to cook our chicken for dinner early. I baked some lemon sage chicken about 11 or so. When I pulled it out of the oven Addy was just standing by the oven staring at me. I realized she was drooling like crazy. I cut some chicken up and sat on the floor with her. She wandered over and sniffed at it but didn't eat any right away. With a little encouragement though, she ate about half a chicken breast! She has so far eaten chicken two more times. I know it doesn't mean everything is going to be okay, but at least she might be a little more comfortable. This was without me giving her the appetite stimulant. She had a diarrhea , but I have not given her any medicine for it yet because I am not 100% sure I actually got her the right thing. I will ask the vet tomorrow. It is a day to day thing. Part of me wants to think "maybe she'll be okay" but I know she's not. I will learn what the test results are tomorrow. She is enjoying her pedialyte and drinking water on her own.

Any my update from vet?

OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
Any my update from vet?

No. Which is really frustrating. I called first thing this morning and was told she would call me back. Then when I called this afternoon I got their voicemail (I forgot they close early on Wednesdays for surgeries). I have been spending the day googling and researching as much as I can, which is probably not very helpful. I am wondering if this could maybe be bloat. The office lady I talked to earlier did say the doc instructed her to call the lab and find out why they had not received a certain part of the test results yet. I REALLY would like to know one way or another what this is.
Addy did not want to eat today. I decided, reluctantly, to try the appetite stimulant. She is still being a bit picky but she did eat most of a chicken breast since then (turned her nose up to both dog food and salmon). She really likes the chicken breast wet, too. I add chicken broth to it and she seems to really enjoy that. Hopefully I will hear something in the morning.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No. Which is really frustrating. I called first thing this morning and was told she would call me back. Then when I called this afternoon I got their voicemail (I forgot they close early on Wednesdays for surgeries). I have been spending the day googling and researching as much as I can, which is probably not very helpful. I am wondering if this could maybe be bloat. The office lady I talked to earlier did say the doc instructed her to call the lab and find out why they had not received a certain part of the test results yet. I REALLY would like to know one way or another what this is.
Addy did not want to eat today. I decided, reluctantly, to try the appetite stimulant. She is still being a bit picky but she did eat most of a chicken breast since then (turned her nose up to both dog food and salmon). She really likes the chicken breast wet, too. I add chicken broth to it and she seems to really enjoy that. Hopefully I will hear something in the morning.

Hoping you you get a call today. (Hugs)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I am wondering if this could maybe be bloat.
A bloat episode would last a matter of hours, not days. I know you are very frustrated by the waiting...it's awful. Do not be surprised if the fluid biopsy doesn't reveal anymore than you already know...it's quite possible that it will not.
Try to keep yourself busy and focused only on what you can control. Also, have you tried scrambled eggs for the little lady...even some bacon mixed in with it? Breakfast is good any time! How about a McDonald's Cheeseburger? I've even cooked Filet Mignon with a little Worcestershire Sauce for cases like yours. Nothing is too good for our Bullies!

OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
Hoping you you get a call today. (Hugs)

Thank you! I *did* get to talk to the vet. She said it was pretty inconclusive. Proteins are a little elevated. Tests did not indicate tumor or cancer cells. She's stumped. So, we are trying to get an ultrasound. Today was a good day for Addy; she asked for food and has eaten several small chicken meals. She even gobbled up a jerky treat. I really just dont know what to do at this point. This is torture. The only place around that can do ultrasounds said they cant work me in until Thursday. We *need* to get in there before then.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! I *did* get to talk to the vet. She said it was pretty inconclusive. Proteins are a little elevated. Tests did not indicate tumor or cancer cells. She's stumped. So, we are trying to get an ultrasound. Today was a good day for Addy; she asked for food and has eaten several small chicken meals. She even gobbled up a jerky treat. I really just dont know what to do at this point. This is torture. The only place around that can do ultrasounds said they cant work me in until Thursday. We *need* to get in there before then.

Any veterinary hospitals in your area? Sometimes you can get a quicker appointment there

OP
Kat and Adeline

Kat and Adeline

Nov 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adeline (Addy)
A bloat episode would last a matter of hours, not days. I know you are very frustrated by the waiting...it's awful. Do not be surprised if the fluid biopsy doesn't reveal anymore than you already know...it's quite possible that it will not.
Try to keep yourself busy and focused only on what you can control. Also, have you tried scrambled eggs for the little lady...even some bacon mixed in with it? Breakfast is good any time! How about a McDonald's Cheeseburger? I've even cooked Filet Mignon with a little Worcestershire Sauce for cases like yours. Nothing is too good for our Bullies!

Gosh, you called that! She did say that there could still be a tumor and that it is just not showing up. I am trying really hard not to hope too much.
She was okay with the chicken today, but in the future if she refuses I will probably offer her something tasty. We have a McDonalds right up the road. ;)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That actually is at the hospital. Supposedly my vet was going to call them today to see if we can get it bumped up.

UGH! hopefully something opens up for a sooner appointment

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.