Luxating Patella

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
So it's only been six months since Sophie had entropion surgery and now we find out she's going to need patella surgery as well. She's always been able to slip her kneecap back in (or the vet or I have been able to help her do it) and on Friday she began limping a bit on her hind leg, right side. Took her in on Tuesday and sure enough our vet said it is pretty freely slipping back and forth. She doesn't act in pain but definitely is treating it gingerly. She is on some anti-inflammatory meds and I just gave her tramadol last night because she seemed a little worn out. Anyhow, I am just looking for any info from people who have gone through this with their babies and how the recouping has gone. Vet didn't act like it had to be done any time too soon, so we are also trying to make things better by starting her on glucosamine w/chondroitin, the same stuff Bella has been on for years. Thank you all! Soph.JPG

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So it's only been six months since Sophie had entropion surgery and now we find out she's going to need patella surgery as well. She's always been able to slip her kneecap back in (or the vet or I have been able to help her do it) and on Friday she began limping a bit on her hind leg, right side. Took her in on Tuesday and sure enough our vet said it is pretty freely slipping back and forth. She doesn't act in pain but definitely is treating it gingerly. She is on some anti-inflammatory meds and I just gave her tramadol last night because she seemed a little worn out. Anyhow, I am just looking for any info from people who have gone through this with their babies and how the recouping has gone. Vet didn't act like it had to be done any time too soon, so we are also trying to make things better by starting her on glucosamine w/chondroitin, the same stuff Bella has been on for years. Thank you all!View attachment 112868

I would definitely start massages with a good carrier oil like hemp seed oil n add peppermint n frankincense oil. So breakdown would be 1oz of carrier: 10 drops of peppermint n 30 frankincense. frankincense you can also use straight on dogs as it’s an oils that won’t harm any dogs. The carrier oil helps to blend in better... here’s some info...

Frankincense

Frankincense oil can inhibit the production of key inflammatory molecules associated with conditions like arthritis and can be useful in helping to prevent the breakdown of the cartilage tissue. This has been shown to significantly reduce levels of inflammation, making it a natural treatment option for pain-related conditions that affect the muscles, joints and tendons.

OP
berlin78

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
helsonwheels, thank you for the input!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So it's only been six months since Sophie had entropion surgery and now we find out she's going to need patella surgery as well. She's always been able to slip her kneecap back in (or the vet or I have been able to help her do it) and on Friday she began limping a bit on her hind leg, right side. Took her in on Tuesday and sure enough our vet said it is pretty freely slipping back and forth. She doesn't act in pain but definitely is treating it gingerly. She is on some anti-inflammatory meds and I just gave her tramadol last night because she seemed a little worn out. Anyhow, I am just looking for any info from people who have gone through this with their babies and how the recouping has gone. Vet didn't act like it had to be done any time too soon, so we are also trying to make things better by starting her on glucosamine w/chondroitin, the same stuff Bella has been on for years. Thank you all!View attachment 112868

Been through this twice via ACL tear . surgery was successful and a breeze for him due to a fantastic vet... recovery, well, it’s a journey.

weeks of therapy, no jumping, no unleashed walks, no stairs and very limited types of play.

We were overly cautious and removed all furniture from a room, placed a futon mattress on floor and each night one of us slept in there with him. During day after work we stayed in room and played with him via toys... he ate in there and we carried him in and out of house for potty or outside time.

You can also along with the oils Helen mentioned, start giving Movoflex— great joint supplement.

Best if luck and keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.