DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
So I will start off by saying Im sorry, Im all over the place and have already lost my mind. I need help for my baby

My boy started pooping blood this morning. No poop, just blood. Looked like darker strawberry jam with chunks. Not large or hard, more like mucus. Hes 1 year 8 moths or so. Never gets table food, strictly Zignature, Duck at the moment. He has also been throwing up, 1st time was food, second it was yellow and now just clear. He has not kept down any substantial food or water today. No food at all Since Friday morning. There are a lot of details I know Im leaving out. Just trying to get the jist of it out.

I have been to 2 vets today. The 1st tested for parvo and parasites. Both were negative. She wanted to do x-rays and a full blood screen but I had already wracked up a $300 bill by that point. I decided to take him home and try to see if he would get any better throughout the day. Hoping it was some crazy stomach bug. Fast forward, he didnt. Went to a 24 hour emergency clinic. The cost to only diagnose him was nearing 700.00. The vet is confidant he has an obstruction. If that is in fact the case I would be looking at another 7-10 THOUSAND for the surgery. I am dwindling the financial means I do have down quickly with no results or cure. Needless to say I had a total break down, paid another 100.00 for that and left.

I have about 2 thousand to play with here (what I had saved to take my kids on vacation this summer) I am a single mother and am living paycheck to paycheck. I have no one to ask for money and no credit cards to use. Are there any real places out there where I can get help? I have been researching for hours and am coming up with noting. I have filled out requests online for help but Im afraid it will be too late by the time I hear back. Its now almost 2am sunday morning. I live in Austin texas. I called the Texas A&M Emergency clinic thinking I will drive to College Station if need be, heck, Id drive anywhere at this point! No one will do payment plans or give me much worthwhile guidance. There has to be something! The only way I can see at this point to get him the help he needs is doing an owner surrender at the local animal shelter so they will give him medical attention. I just cant imagine that is the only way. He is my baby, I am a mess and going out of my mind. I feel as if I am sitting here watching him die and cant do a thing.

Again, sorry if this is jumbled and a mess. Im sitting here watching him in pain and cant do a thing.

He is 100% inside unless we are outside (on a leash) for potty breaks or walks. There isnt much for him to get into around here. He is always right next to me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There is financial assistance... it called care credit—- payment plans and mist all vets take it. He sounds to have an obstruction and if not operated he will pass. :(

There is a link in our health section for ‘assistance with vet bill’. There may be other help you can reach out to

Please get him to a vet you trust to handle. Texas AM is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
There is financial assistance... it called care credit–- payment plans and mist all vets take it. He sounds to have an obstruction and if not operated he will pass. :(

There is a link in our health section for ‘assistance with vet bill’. There may be other help you can reach out to

Please get him to a vet you trust to handle. Texas AM is great

I applied for it and was approved for 1200.00, that doesnt even begin to scratch the surface.

I will look into the health section.

Thank you

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Please take him to A & M. You will get the best help there. Set up a go fund me page or something similar and hope people send money. You have nothing to lose on that one. The important thing is to get him help fast. I am so sorry this is happening to you.
Edited to add, a shelter (at least here in Houston) will not guarantee medical help. I get updates from the shelters here (truly heartbreaking) and there are a lot of animals in dire need of medical help that are waiting for a rescue, usually in vain, to come along and save them. They get something to help with pain but not much more. Rescues are inundated to say the least and cannot always take on large medical expenses. It is all very sad.

OP
D

DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Please take him to A & M. You will get the best help there. Set up a go fund me page or something similar and hope people send money. You have nothing to lose on that one. The important thing is to get him help fast. I am so sorry this is happening to you.
Edited to add, a shelter (at least here in Houston) will not guarantee medical help. I get updates from the shelters here (truly heartbreaking) and there are a lot of animals in dire need of medical help that are waiting for a rescue, usually in vain, to come along and save them. They get something to help with pain but not much more. Rescues are inundated to say the least and cannot always take on large medical expenses. It is all very sad.

The thing is if I take him there I have to pay before they do anything, just like anywhere.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
The thing is if I take him there I have to pay before they do anything, just like anywhere.

From their website..... Our prices are comparable to other specialty or emergency hospitals who offer the same level of care. Estimates are based on the needs of the patient and nature of the condition. We will provide an estimate prior to treatment at which time a 50% deposit will be required.

I would still take him to the A & M emergency clinic over a regular vet. He may not need surgery. At least you will know what is going on and could probably advise you on your options. I would think they deal with this quite frequently and may have other sources for you.

Good luck!

OP
D

DAmbra

Sep 13, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Thank you everyone for the thoughts and advice!
I was calling around all morning to inquire about pricing and finally found somewhere that wasn't stupid high. (Veterinary Surgical Solutions) The minute I stepped through the door I was instantly relieved. There were only 2 people working there, small place but they were genuine and efficient. They took him back, took vitals, gave me a quote which was at least a 3rd less than everyone else. She had x-rays done within 10 min, brought us back to look at them and there was nothing to be seen as far as an obstruction. Just a lot of gas built up. Said he did fine during the exam, didn't seem to be in pain and she didn't feel anything. (the previous doctor told me he was in a lot of pain and he could feel something) She immediately started him on an IV and began to monitor him. She called 3 hours later and told me he is doing much better. Blood work is back, everything is great with that. He finally ate and got oral antibiotics down. She is keeping him on the IV for the rest of the day and I can pick him up this evening.

There is no answer as to what happened with him though. He has a very sensitive stomach so we are very picky about what goes into his mouth. I feed him Zignature Duck, he has been doing well on that (or so I thought) for a while now. Still dont know if food is the issue or if he got into something.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone for the thoughts and advice!
I was calling around all morning to inquire about pricing and finally found somewhere that wasn't stupid high. (Veterinary Surgical Solutions) The minute I stepped through the door I was instantly relieved. There were only 2 people working there, small place but they were genuine and efficient. They took him back, took vitals, gave me a quote which was at least a 3rd less than everyone else. She had x-rays done within 10 min, brought us back to look at them and there was nothing to be seen as far as an obstruction. Just a lot of gas built up. Said he did fine during the exam, didn't seem to be in pain and she didn't feel anything. (the previous doctor told me he was in a lot of pain and he could feel something) She immediately started him on an IV and began to monitor him. She called 3 hours later and told me he is doing much better. Blood work is back, everything is great with that. He finally ate and got oral antibiotics down. She is keeping him on the IV for the rest of the day and I can pick him up this evening.

There is no answer as to what happened with him though. He has a very sensitive stomach so we are very picky about what goes into his mouth. I feed him Zignature Duck, he has been doing well on that (or so I thought) for a while now. Still dont know if food is the issue or if he got into something.

Keep very close watch on him... i hope it is just a sensitive belly, but I’ve read many similar situations where it was an obstruction that hidden from x-rays—- to totally rule it out, if he shows signs again, you’ll need x-rays done with barium.

Continued prayers and please keep us posted

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Phew! So pleased to hear a positive result. [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] went through this with her boy and I believe it was as [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said, the barium x-ray that finally found the obstruction and saved him. Keep that in mind. But, in the meantime, you seem to have found a winner in your vet and I know you must be crying with relief. Praying he continues to improve and is back to normal soon. Let us know how he gets on.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so glad he seems to be doing better, and I will pray that he continues to improve. It is so scary when our babies get sick and we don't know what's wrong with them. I'm glad you were able to find a reasonable and caring vet that was able to help you. Continuing to pray for your baby, and sending hugs. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy! i was 'following' this with nothing to add but prayers. I hope that what ever it is is better and all well tomorrow. Continued prayers

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
Hope he continues on the road to recovery! So sorry you have to watch your baby in pain, but it sounds like he is going to be ok! [emoji172]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online