Help Needed! Soft Palate Surgery & Pet Insurance

2bMimi

Jun 1, 2018
FL & SC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Etta James
Hi. Iā€™m the proud new parent of the sweetest 16 mo EBD whom I got a month ago from a family that no longer wanted her. I immediately took her to an EBD recommended vet because she was literally skin/bones and as I suspected she WAS underweight - 10 pounds underweight, hadnā€™t had her heart worm prevention in over 6 months and a host of other unmentionables.

Any-who, the vet suggested she gain 10 pounds, and that I seriously consider having her soft palate surgical procedure at some point. Sheā€™s gained weight slow and steady, is much healthier and looks like a different dog altogether. However, 3.5 weeks later she goes into respiratory distress leaving doggie daycare and had to be rushed to an ER. It was a close call but sheā€™s fine thank God, but they too recommended the soft palate surgery be done.

I read the soft palate continues to grow and that it should be done after sheā€™s 2 yo. to avoid having to have the surgery twice. Anyone else heard that itā€™s better to wait?

Also, the surgery is $2k- $2500 in my area. Iā€™m thinking we should perhaps get pet insurance. Does anyone know if this is considered a pre-existing condition or know of an insurance provider that would approve this surgical procedure? I donā€™t want to waste my dime or time on a denied claim.

Thanks, in advance! šŸ˜ŠšŸ¾

Attachments

• 48E5987E-5CB5-4D39-AB96-215E47C89922.jpeg
    48E5987E-5CB5-4D39-AB96-215E47C89922.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 682
  • 02AB3C29-11E7-46EE-BD84-16D7819BB385.jpeg
    02AB3C29-11E7-46EE-BD84-16D7819BB385.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 810
  • 947BDBBB-AB79-4636-B974-E14B595E739E.jpeg
    947BDBBB-AB79-4636-B974-E14B595E739E.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 2,106

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!! I can't speak to the insurance piece, but it MIGHT be pre-existing since you already been diagnosed and for bulldogs, the palate may not be covered due to it almost always being an issue. many her have insurance and might be better versed to give insight there.

As for the palate, yes, it can continue to grow, but you have to base the decision on how she is dealing with it now. My Frenchie, Cheli, had the surgery three times... first was at around 14-16 months, second was a few months later due to scar tissue (my fault, we crated him and he barked when he shouldn't have been allowed to) and the third was at age of, I think 4 or 5 due to sleep apnea issues.

If she is in distress just from playing, I would consider getting it done now and being aware it may be needed later in life.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
There might be some insurance that covers that depending on what coverage you got. However...no insurance covers pre existing and once a diagnosis is made, any potential coverage is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would get the soft palate surgery done... I had it done for my two bulldogs now, and I wished I would've done it for my other ones.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
WOW, that price seems awfully high. Monty had his soft palate and nares done by the recognized bulldog vet here in Houston. He also had more surgery done on his tail at the same time and no charge for that. I am not suggesting you go cheap at all and Monty's was done in 2015 but I was shocked when I saw your price!
View attachment Monty receipt.pdf

OP

2bMimi

Jun 1, 2018
FL & SC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Etta James
Wow, three times!?! Poor baby. Iā€™m glad you shared the part about barking causing scar tissue. My Etta barks at me when she wants attention or she wants me to get her favorite toy from under the bed so Iā€™ll keep this in mind post surgery. Thanks, this is most helpful. ��

OP

2bMimi

Jun 1, 2018
FL & SC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Etta James
Yeah, I was afraid of that. I guess Iā€™m trying to determine if a doctorā€™s recommendation is considered an official diagnosis OR does she have to undergo an examination by a DVM surgeon for it to be considered a diagnosis. Any additionalinsight is appreciated.

OP

2bMimi

Jun 1, 2018
FL & SC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Etta James
WOW, that price seems awfully high. Monty had his soft palate and nares done by the recognized bulldog vet here in Houston. He also had more surgery done on his tail at the same time and no charge for that. I am not suggesting you go cheap at all and Monty's was done in 2015 but I was shocked when I saw your price!
View attachment 112839

Yes Pam, $2k is on the low end of the spectrum. She hasnā€™t been examined yet so I have no idea if theyā€™ll recommend her nares too so the cost could increase. On another note, why do some elect to remove their tail? Just curious.

OP

2bMimi

Jun 1, 2018
FL & SC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Etta James
I would get the soft palate surgery done... I had it done for my two bulldogs now, and I wished I would've done it for my other ones.

Thanks. Iā€™m glad you found it helpful. Was it done laparoscopic?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow, three times!?! Poor baby. Iā€™m glad you shared the part about barking causing scar tissue. My Etta barks at me when she wants attention or she wants me to get her favorite toy from under the bed so Iā€™ll keep this in mind post surgery. Thanks, this is most helpful. ��

Exactly why Cheli barks too... we crated to keep him calm and safe while at work and when we walked in the door he started barking to get out... second surgery no crate the first week [emoji16]

Yes Pam, $2k is on the low end of the spectrum. She hasnā€™t been examined yet so I have no idea if theyā€™ll recommend her nares too so the cost could increase. On another note, why do some elect to remove their tail? Just curious.

Tail amputation is not electiveā€” some bulldogs have issues with it being a tight area causing infection or like my guy, Lambeau, the tail was growing into him and had to be removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

Monty had 'corrective' surgery as he had a very deep tail pocket and tight screw tail and kept getting nasty infections. He had the tip of his tail removed. He no longer has a pocket, still has his tail and no more infections, YAY!! However, it was a long drawn out process because he also had an internal infection that was hard to find, hence the additional surgery, but it was resolved finally.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.