PeteyButterbean

May 10, 2017
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Butterbean
Hello All,

Petey has been getting constant ear infections. Seriously, there is some crazy yeast build up. It's only in a single year, not both. I take him to the vet and they give him ear drops that last about a month but like clockwork the ear infection comes back. I try to check his years daily, but by the time I notice the yeast build up I can't get ahead of the infection to stop it. Does anyone have advice on how to control his ear infections?

I don't think it is food allergy related. It took some trial and error but I think I found a food that agrees with him. His paws are no longer red and his hair is no longer thinning. I try my best to keep his ears dry too. Ugh, I just don't want to drag him to the vet every couple months. Anyone had problems with this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it could be environmental allergies.... do you give Benadryl or other type of allergy medicine? Benadryl, regular for adults pill... 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day and Claritin/Zrytec is one pill a day.

I have the issue with Lambeau... he is allergic to all things green, (grass, trees, weeds)... I have to clean his ears daily to keep them clear and we also get a Cytopoint shots once a month during summer months.

Also, has your vet though about Calaro? It is a medicine that 'packs' the ear and last a few weeks.

OP
PeteyButterbean

PeteyButterbean

May 10, 2017
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Butterbean
it could be environmental allergies.... do you give Benadryl or other type of allergy medicine? Benadryl, regular for adults pill... 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day and Claritin/Zrytec is one pill a day.

I have the issue with Lambeau... he is allergic to all things green, (grass, trees, weeds)... I have to clean his ears daily to keep them clear and we also get a Cytopoint shots once a month during summer months.

Also, has your vet though about Calaro? It is a medicine that 'packs' the ear and last a few weeks.

Yes it's Claro that they give him. We have a vet appointment today. I'm going to ask about the environmental allergies and and Cytopoint shots. Thank you!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Be sure to ask your Vet about a home remedy ear cleaner made with 50/50 vinegar and water...that you can use every 3-4 days. Yeast can be tough to get rid of. It takes time and diligence.

Members online

No members online now.