Help Needed! Hair loss, Vet does not know what it is.

Bluegrit

May 23, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Frances
My Frances appears have hair loss on her flanks and her back. As I have been doing research I can understand her flanks being SFA but could it be the same for her back too? She is going to be two years old this August of 2018. In spring of 2017 she was having extreme hair loss as well , I was given antibiotic pills and antibacterial and anti fungal shampoo from the vet. The antibiotic pills did not really do much hair kept falling out but shampoo bath every 10 days did help. This year not so much. The vet did mention last year maybe it was her pup coat and winter shedding away all at the same time. After a few months she got better by end of 2017. Though this 2018 spring here we are, unlike 2017 she now has missing hair patches on her flanks and her back. On her flanks the hair is missing with black pigmentation and no black pigmentation for her back but missing hair patches with a lot dandruff on her back. Also noticed the hair in her white face easily falls off if slightly pulled. Side note like face hair, her shoulder hair was falling out as well but has stopped after a few weeks and now appears to be normal. Don't know what to think took her to the vet he was baffled. I was requesting a scrape but he said it was not mange so he didn't think it warranted it. Really need some insight.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Frances appears have hair loss on her flanks and her back. As I have been doing research I can understand her flanks being SFA but could it be the same for her back too? She is going to be two years old this August of 2018. In spring of 2017 she was having extreme hair loss as well , I was given antibiotic pills and antibacterial and anti fungal shampoo from the vet. The antibiotic pills did not really do much hair kept falling out but shampoo bath every 10 days did help. This year not so much. The vet did mention last year maybe it was her pup coat and winter shedding away all at the same time. After a few months she got better by end of 2017. Though this 2018 spring here we are, unlike 2017 she now has missing hair patches on her flanks and her back. On her flanks the hair is missing with black pigmentation and no black pigmentation for her back but missing hair patches with a lot dandruff on her back. Also noticed the hair in her white face easily falls off if slightly pulled. Side note like face hair, her shoulder hair was falling out as well but has stopped after a few weeks and now appears to be normal. Don't know what to think took her to the vet he was baffled. I was requesting a scrape but he said it was not mange so he didn't think it warranted it. Really need some insight.

Can you post photos?

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco

Really need pics helps so much when trying to ask something soecific

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

What food are you feeding. Brand and protein.... pictures would be great as others have mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bluegrit

May 23, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Frances
UPDATE: After two months of severe hair loss in shoulders, flanks, back and face, her condition did a 180 by the end of May. I live in Dallas, Texas not sure if the lack of sunlight had any thing to do it with it. Though it got better on its own. Sorry for the late response. I tried posting pictures but cannot. The format is jpg and tried using chrome and firefox. It saids uploading but nothing happens. Any one had this issue?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE: After two months of severe hair loss in shoulders, flanks, back and face, her condition did a 180 by the end of May. I live in Dallas, Texas not sure if the lack of sunlight had any thing to do it with it. Though it got better on its own. Sorry for the late response. I tried posting pictures but cannot. The format is jpg and tried using chrome and firefox. It saids uploading but nothing happens. Any one had this issue?

I use chrome without issue... dud you try resizing the photo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
i wonder if she gets another round of it that the melatonin would work for her. Has for some others with what may be the same issue (lack of sunlight) Along with that mabie some vit D?

wilson

Feb 12, 2016
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
wilson
Our dog Wilson developed hair loss when he was two. The hair came back once but than shed again and has been gone for several years. He has a large patch on his flank and small patch on his back. It is genetic and it is permanent. His parents I believe were quickly removed from breeding.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online