Cherry Eye Question

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Moe has a nasty looking cherry eye... last time a warm compress was successful in bringing it down, but it's not doing the trick this time. Is there anything else we should be doing? The earliest appt we could get was for 10PM at the 24 hour clinic, not our normal vet. Should we be treating this as an emergency and pay extra to rush him in now?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I don't think it's too much of an emergency and can wait for your regular vet to examine it. Just monitor it regularly before then.

OP
Telly03

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] Thanks... what am I looking for when I monitor it?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Two out of six present and past Bulldogs have had cherry eye. It looks much worse than it is. You can get an ointment from the vet and the vet will show you how to gently work the "cherry" back under the lid. One of our dogs had his fixed when he was neutered at 5&1/2 mo. The other one, Sherman, was our first Bulldog and we freaked and had it fixed right away.
Moe is sure a cutie! I love seeing his pictures and hearing about him!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I wouldnt take him to the ER Vet either. There are a few tips to "treat" it depending on why it pops out. Layla has has had surgery on one eye but the other pops almost every week or 2. Sometimes its due to allergies and her rubbing it. Benedryl or Claratin will help in this case. It also pops out when she plays hard with her brothers. I give it a chance to go back on it own but if it doesnt I massage it back in. Its easy and its painless for them. There are many videos on youtube on how to due it properly. Trust me...its something worth learning how to do! :yes:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes it is not an emergency situation, it does not hurt them from what I have been told.

OP
Telly03

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Thanks guys... I watched a few videos and gave it a shot... it pretty much worked, but his eye is still very red. We are going to go ahead and take the 10PM appt (not at emergency rate) to let them look at his eye for the redness, but we are feeling much better about the cherry eye thing... you guys rock! :up:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Truman's eyelid pops out sometimes and I freaked out as well! But, as others have said, it is truly no emergency! It's ugly and that's the worst thing about it.

I really recommend watching a few videos on YouTube about how to put a cherry eye back in - it's not very hard once you get the hang of it and can typically buy you some time before you decide what you'd like to do. In Truman's case, I thought FOR CERTAIN we'd need surgery but we learned how to put it back in (or it would go back in on its own while he slept) and now it stays in most of the time so we're going to see how it is when he's finished growing. If it's still an issue, we will have it tacked.

Also, as others have mentioned to me when this happened to Truman, before you do anything, wait a few weeks and see if the other one pops out. This, I was told, is VERY common. [MENTION=490]reallyrob[/MENTION] has lots of experience with this issue in his Bertie and his cocker spaniel. He may have some more additional insights.

MissBailey

May 23, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil Miss Bailey
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PjyBLzCN1qY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> This tip worked for me! worked like a charm

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
Mello got her Cherry eye from playing as an young puppy, aroung 8 to 10 weeks old.... our vet looked at it and said a very normal thing with bullies.....and he didn't want to mess with it tell she was older and making sure it would not happen in the other eye.... she has been fine all this time and some times it is red.... she just had it taken care of on the 21st when she was spayed..

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Bertie has had cherry eye surgery on both eyes and so has my cocker spaniel Dexter. It's not an emergency at all and it doesn't hurt the dog. The main thing is its ugly to look at! Any vet that is well versed with Bulldogs will tell you to wait and see if the other one pops too. It's always better to wait and do them both at the same time...only have to be knocked out once. The vet should show you how to massage the gland back into place...alot of times it will go back on its own. Strenous playing can make the gland pop out, allergies can make the gland pop out, dirty carpet (allergens in carpet) can make it pop. Make sure that if the gland starts looking dried out that you put some drops in your dogs eye. But be careful what you put in their eye...some things can cause eye ulceration. I always used just plain saline solution to keep my dogs eyes moist. Do not use antibiotic ointment or anything unless the vet tells you to use it.
If you do a search, I posted a video last year showing how to massage the gland back in place.

When you do get surgery, I recommend that you tell your vet not to remove the gland. I have always gotten the vet to do the pocket technique. some people may disagree, but I still believe that you have less problems with dry eyes when doing the pocket technique. I have had some people tell me that the pocket technique can come untacked and it may have to be redone...that is true, but I have had 3 english bullies and one cocker spaniel that had this technique done and my grandmother used to breed english bullies...and I can honestly say that out of 27 dogs that I know had this technique done, only one of them had to have their eye surgery redone...and that was only on one eye and it was years ago. So don't let people talk you out of having the pocket Technique done.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION] - Everyone explained it well above. I meant to check it once in a while to make sure it doesn't get infected. Stig's right eye currently has cherry eye and it becomes red sometimes, but mostly because he's tired. He's had it for a couple of months now where it continuously pops back out even after we do the massage method so we finally decided to get it fixed on Monday. I guess for Moe, it's best to wait a bit and see if he grows out of it. I heard it's common for that to happen too.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.