Safe lawn care products?

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
We are looking to take care of the weeds and dandelions in our yard but wondered if anyone knows of any products that are safe to use when you have pets? I am a new homeowner so don't have much experience with yard care in general and didn't want to subject Tayto to some nasty chemicals unknowingly.

Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We are looking to take care of the weeds and dandelions in our yard but wondered if anyone knows of any products that are safe to use when you have pets? I am a new homeowner so don't have much experience with yard care in general and didn't want to subject Tayto to some nasty chemicals unknowingly.

Thanks!

Manual!!! Lol. Not much would really be safe imo. I do it by hand. Just donā€™t trust anything out there. The safe one for pets, well wonā€™t kill much.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Take someone else's soup ladle and collect some bulldog urine and pour on the weeds. I've always thought that it might make awesome vegetation killer considering what it does to my fescue.
Good luck with it...:D

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dandelions are the best for cleansing our insides. You can always dry them n have a cup of tea! :D

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,

Thanks!

Pull them all by hand , there is no "safe " product . The dandelion products are corn based and the dogs and others love em .
They have so called " put on and play " with the cute pic of kids on the packaging, all that is a fine ground product , that they hope falls thru the grass to the dirt so it does not come into contact with there kids skin , I have looked at them all .
I did find a vinegar spray product ( made by the vinegar companies ) to kill dandelions and it worked well and the smell keeps the dogs away , but be accurate when you spray it will kill the grass too .

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
What about safe outdoor bug sprays? The weather is changing so it's time for spiders, earwigs, ants, etc. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] is there an EO mix or something I can spray around the house?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
What about safe outdoor bug sprays? The weather is changing so it's time for spiders, earwigs, ants, etc. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] is there an EO mix or something I can spray around the house?

I like to use peppermint for lawn and and and....I think in all oils tyme would be the one for bugs. Hang on let me go did in my archives lol......:detective2::hmm::bang::computer::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog:

5 Best Essential Oils To Repel Common Bugs, Insects & Pests

9 Clever Ways To Use Essential Oils In The Garden

And yes I know you..I will post it in my other posts lol

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
For the garden, do you spray it directly on the plants?

I spray the grass. Depends of the mixture you do. Example, cloves is strong n can burn the plant. I recall mixing cloves n cayenne pepper cause of damm jack rabbits eating all my front flowers. Little bastards eat all fresh newly leaves n leaves the stems. :aaargh: On plants you can mix lavender, peppermint with water.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I spray the grass. Depends of the mixture you do. Example, cloves is strong n can burn the plant. I recall mixing cloves n cayenne pepper cause of damm jack rabbits eating all my front flowers. Little bastards eat all fresh newly leaves n leaves the stems. :aaargh: On plants you can mix lavender, peppermint with water.

I donā€™t have cloves. I have lavender, peppermint, rosemary, frankincense, orange, lemon,eucalyptus. A couple of my potted plants keep getting baby spiders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I donā€™t have cloves. I have lavender, peppermint, rosemary, frankincense, orange, lemon,eucalyptus. A couple of my potted plants keep getting baby spiders.

Well peppermint, eucalyptus n lemon, just there you have all you need for your spider mites. I used cayenne pepper n my leaves burn which was my fault cause I didnā€™t add enough water.. here are recipes for you....

Using Essential Oils in Your Home & Garden to Kill Pests + DIY Bugs-B-Gone Home & Garden Spray - The Hippy Homemaker

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Whatā€™s the general ratio of EO drops to water? Equal amount of each EO?

Guess you skipped a part 32oz bottle in the link :p.
So basically if you add the following oil ingredients then you fill the rest with water so it gives you 32oz.

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup liquid castile soap (you can alternately use any of the scented Dr. Bronnerā€™s kind as well, such as lavender, citrus, tea tree, peppermint, eucalyptus)
1 tsp. MRH sweet orange essential oil or PT sweet orange eo (alternately you can use 1 tsp. orange oil)
1 tsp. MRH Virginia cedarwood essential oil or PT Virginia cedarwood eo filtered water to fill 32 oz. commercial spray bottle (The commercial strength spray bottles are made without BPA and are strong enough to be used with essential oil. I have tried so hard to find a glass version of this, but they are just not that common still. If you donā€™t want to use a commercial plastic spray bottle, you can halve this recipe and use this 16 oz. glass spray bottle instead!)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Guess you skipped a part 32oz bottle in the link :p.
So basically if you add the following oil ingredients then you fill the rest with water so it gives you 32oz.

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup liquid castile soap (you can alternately use any of the scented Dr. Bronnerā€™s kind as well, such as lavender, citrus, tea tree, peppermint, eucalyptus)
1 tsp. MRH sweet orange essential oil or PT sweet orange eo (alternately you can use 1 tsp. orange oil)
1 tsp. MRH Virginia cedarwood essential oil or PT Virginia cedarwood eo filtered water to fill 32 oz. commercial spray bottle (The commercial strength spray bottles are made without BPA and are strong enough to be used with essential oil. I have tried so hard to find a glass version of this, but they are just not that common still. If you donā€™t want to use a commercial plastic spray bottle, you can halve this recipe and use this 16 oz. glass spray bottle instead!)

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I guess I missed that part. Hahahaha...too funny. Okay, what I ended up doing was filled a spray bottle and added like 10-12 drops each of peppermint, eucalyptus and orange.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online