Regurge? Blockage?

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
My bully is 8. Recently whenever she drinks water or eats she coughs and gags and sometimes she throws up bile and/or food. We went to the vet and did a chest X-ray and lungs, trachea and heart look good, but couldnā€™t get a good view of the esophagus. He gave her Prilosec to see if that helps. Iā€™ve been giving it to her since Friday and it hasnā€™t improved (in my head I think maybe worse, but it could be in my head)... I came home today and sheā€™s had piled a huge pile of bile and food....anyone have similar experiences? Suggestions,

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9299]jessica989[/MENTION] I have not had this problem but it sounds like she may have a blockage or growth in her esophagus. I would suggested that you get a better view,such as endoscopic ultrasound, or could be narrowing of the esophagus. Need to check this further.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
[MENTION=9299]jessica989[/MENTION] I have not had this problem but it sounds like she may have a blockage or growth in her esophagus. I would suggested that you get a better view,such as endoscopic ultrasound, or could be narrowing of the esophagus. Need to check this further.

Totaly agree

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Did they do barium contrast X-ray? Sounds like a blockage to me, could be something she swallowed or a tumour taking into account quite mature age.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If she throws up with bile, the food most probably is able to travel as far as to duodenum, which is just after stomach exit and where bile is introduced from bile duct. Thinking logically, obstruction should be after stomach, in duodenum or lower. Not in esophagus. Invagination of intestines is also a possibility.
Does she poop? How is her weight? Did she lost weight?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel was vomiting a lot when she had pancreatitis. We used famotidine (pepcid) which helped a little. Another trip to the vet might be in order. How is Porky's behavior? (e.g., lethargic, energetic, not change).

Jewel's pacreatitis was diagnosed with sonogram. Her blood alk phos was elevated. Were blood test done when you visited the vet?

OP
J

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
Jewel was vomiting a lot when she had pancreatitis. We used famotidine (pepcid) which helped a little. Another trip to the vet might be in order. How is Porky's behavior? (e.g., lethargic, energetic, not change).

Jewel's pacreatitis was diagnosed with sonogram. Her blood alk phos was elevated. Were blood test done when you visited the vet?

No blood tests yet.... we ruled out blockage in esophagus and now on to other options ...

- - - Updated - - -

If she throws up with bile, the food most probably is able to travel as far as to duodenum, which is just after stomach exit and where bile is introduced from bile duct. Thinking logically, obstruction should be after stomach, in duodenum or lower. Not in esophagus. Invagination of intestines is also a possibility.
Does she poop? How is her weight? Did she lost weight?

We did the barium test and all was fine. She poops just fine, sheā€™s not lethargic, she eats and drinks, sheā€™s a bit overweight and I donā€™t think that has changed at all.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No experience but sending lots of positive thoughts!!
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.