Over heating??

Gillbert123

May 2, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gillbert
Hi my 6 month old bulldog Gilbert loves to go outside! How can you tell if he's over heating or just playing??

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Where do you live?

I'm in the deep South
Today the temp said 80'F, but the humidity is still low, so Ty is OK

I watch him closely when we walk, his breathing and such, you can tell when they start struggling.

Rapid, labored, frequent stops, but most of all no stopping to sniff

If breathing becomes more important than sniffing, I know there's an issue at hand

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Great tip! Also, it’s important to Keep an eye on his tongue which is out when they puff in the heat, when tongue starts to turn from pink into blueish, purpleish, that’s the sign of dangerous overheating. That’s the time to grab him and carry him (not walk!) into cool environment and give him cold water, cool shower and ice bags on tummy and ears.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Make sure you have water near by.

It was 90F yesterday and the same today. We have gone from winter right to summer. Mother Nature is a real biotch.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
And,......I plan our walk routes so they are as shady as
Possible, with good stopping places if needed.

I live in a small town very reminiscent to 'Mayberry ' lots of huge old tree lined streets

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Make sure you have water near by.

It was 90F yesterday and the same today. We have gone from winter right to summer. Mother Nature is a real biotch.

Yeah, I knew her when she was a baby, and she was the same then!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi my 6 month old bulldog Gilbert loves to go outside! How can you tell if he's over heating or just playing??

Be very careful with time outside whenever the temp is over 70 and full sun. they can over heat very quickly... watch for changes to gum color and keep the hydrated and in the shade as much as possible

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Good thread!! Chunky has been less adapt to heat this year and I would say most of that is my fault because I worked so much over the past year that he hasn't been on many long walks. Luckily I can take a short cut through neighbors yard when we walk around the neighborhood. I try to not get him out when the temps get close to 80* so our walks which normally happen on weekends have been early morning. We do short walks a few times per day though

Members online

No members online now.