United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
We just received the surgical estimate for the following surgeries for Bug:
Soft Palate Resection w/Nares and Saccules
Hiatal Hernia Repair
Spay

Between $5700 - $7000 :faint:

We have contacted WSU Veterinary Hospital for an estimate as well - our vet (and another vet who is my co-workers spouse) said WSU is well qualified and usually comes in a few thousand dollars less than the specialty centers because they welcome the opportunities to allow their students to observe specialty surgeries. Even though it would mean two nights in a motel (about a 6 hour drive each way for us) it might be a better option. The bottom line is we will be getting her the surgery either way.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HOLY COW!!! :faint: is right!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Phew! I would go with WSU. Keep in mind that they are the people that train the vets that we see. Hugs to Bug!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have heard great things about WSU Vet Hospital. I have no idea what my vet would charge but if you want to get another estimate you can give them a call.

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
WSU recommends we do the airway/respiratory surgery first then re-evaluate for the hernia in 6 -7 months. They said that the labored breathing causes the hernia to "slide" in & out and often the airway surgery lets the hernia heal. So we are going to go with that approach and wait on her spay until then also. Getting a new quote from the specialty clinic as well - that will give us 3 quotes ( 1 from WSU, 1 from speciality & 1 from recommended bulldog vet). My head is spinning :crazy: trying to sort all these options out.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
We just received the surgical estimate for the following surgeries for Bug:
Soft Palate Resection w/Nares and Saccules
Hiatal Hernia Repair
Spay

Between $5700 - $7000 :faint:

We have contacted WSU Veterinary Hospital for an estimate as well - our vet (and another vet who is my co-workers spouse) said WSU is well qualified and usually comes in a few thousand dollars less than the specialty centers because they welcome the opportunities to allow their students to observe specialty surgeries. Even though it would mean two nights in a motel (about a 6 hour drive each way for us) it might be a better option. The bottom line is we will be getting her the surgery either way.

We had Jewels tail removed, palate, shortened, and ACL repaired for the less than your lower quote. But that was four years ago. I'd opt for WSU. You'll still come out ahead even with the two night stay. Check for pet-friendly hotels just in case.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
WOW! Sorry that you and love Bug are going through this. PRAYERS for safe surgeries !!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We would expect to pay $3750 for that. You, being on the left coast should expect to pay $1-1500 more. The estimate is high, IMO. Shop around.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
WSU recommends we do the airway/respiratory surgery first then re-evaluate for the hernia in 6 -7 months. They said that the labored breathing causes the hernia to "slide" in & out and often the airway surgery lets the hernia heal. So we are going to go with that approach and wait on her spay until then also. Getting a new quote from the specialty clinic as well - that will give us 3 quotes ( 1 from WSU, 1 from speciality & 1 from recommended bulldog vet). My head is spinning :crazy: trying to sort all these options out.

It is the cost of the GDang anesthesia that they are going to hit you with twice. What bastards? Why can't they do the whole thing at once? What kind of hernia does Bug have...Hiatal, Inguinal, or umbilical. There are probably one of two more as well.

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
It is the cost of the GDang anesthesia that they are going to hit you with twice. What bastards? Why can't they do the whole thing at once? What kind of hernia does Bug have...Hiatal, Inguinal, or umbilical. There are probably one of two more as well.

She has a sliding hiatal hernia. I just got of the phone with WSU and they will be testing to see if the hernia repairs itself in 6-7 months prior to scheduling that surgery. They are hopeful it will. To have the surgery done all at once they estimate the amount of time under anesthesia is 2 - 2.5 hours and they (WSU) have seen many hernias heal once the airways are clear. It's all confusing and yes the anesthesia costs are significant. We do have insurance but this will tap it out.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
we got nares, entropian, and palate........... 1200.00 by a very highly recomended bulldog vet here in so cal.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.