Optimal Summer and Winter Thermostat Settings

mgnipp16

Apr 28, 2018
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel
So prior to getting my bulldog I definitely went with energy saving settings on our thermostat so that it was pretty chilly in the winter and during the day in the summer it is kept pretty warm in the house. But what is the optimal temps to stay between to keep my bulldog comfortable? I live in Pittsburgh, PA and it is finally getting warm this week so I started to think about this. Hazel 2.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So prior to getting my bulldog I definitely went with energy saving settings on our thermostat so that it was pretty chilly in the winter and during the day in the summer it is kept pretty warm in the house. But what is the optimal temps to stay between to keep my bulldog comfortable? I live in Pittsburgh, PA and it is finally getting warm this week so I started to think about this. View attachment 112349

Iā€™m confused..energy saving n winter is chilly n summer warm? Itā€™s probably me been working late these days.

OP
M

mgnipp16

Apr 28, 2018
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel
Iā€™m confused..energy saving n winter is chilly n summer warm? Itā€™s probably me been working late these days.

So in Winter to conserve energy you would have you thermostat set lower, maybe 68 degrees, so the heat doesn't come on until it"s dipped that low. The opposite for summer, you may set your thermostat for 80 degrees so the AC doesn't turn on until it gets that hot.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I did get the winter one first time..... but why on earth you would want 80 for summer? i live in Canada so A/C better kick in at 72 Ish. 80 is hot for an EB or any dog even humans. Thatā€™s my 2 cents. Btw, you have one adorable little Hazel.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I did get the winter one first time..... but why on earth you would want 80 for summer? i live in Canada so A/C better kick in at 72 Ish. 80 is hot for an EB or any dog even humans. Thatā€™s my 2 cents. Btw, you have one adorable little Hazel.
There was a time I couldn't afford to keep the house below 84 during the day in the summer and honestly it wasn't that bad. Even now being in an older home if I go below 78 in the summer my electricity bill goes up a few hundred a month and that is with a newer dual stage AC unit. The house just leaks like a piece of mesh no matter what I do about sealing it up or adding insulation. Harlea does just fine with it as well.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
There was a time I couldn't afford to keep the house below 84 during the day in the summer and honestly it wasn't that bad. Even now being in an older home if I go below 78 in the summer my electricity bill goes up a few hundred a month and that is with a newer dual stage AC unit. The house just leaks like a piece of mesh no matter what I do about sealing it up or adding insulation. Harlea does just fine with it as well.

I heard from ppl I know that lives in US, electricity is more expensive than Canada. Maybe why I see it differently. Idk...
Here example our winters as we all know is cold so the biggest ills would be Jan n Feb. Most I pay is 125$ a month. With A/C on, averages the same as winter bills.

Winter I leave it on 22cel or 72F
Summer. 20cel or 68F or less..depends

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would say if you keep your thermostat set at 72 degrees for winter and summer, that would be a good temp, for Hazel,when you are not there. [MENTION=18274]mgnipp16[/MENTION]

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We keep ours about 74 -75 during the summer but we don't get direct sun in our windows in the afternoon. We also have overhead fans on all the time so the house is always quite cool, especially for Houston.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we keep at 65 in the winter and 72-74 in the summer. we tend to spend time in our finished basement which seems to have nicer temp control than the second floor which is usually hot. I would say no hotter than 75 for bulldogs in the summer and certainly no sudden temp changes that will be hard for them to quickly regulate.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I heard from ppl I know that lives in US, electricity is more expensive than Canada. Maybe why I see it differently. Idk...
Here example our winters as we all know is cold so the biggest ills would be Jan n Feb. Most I pay is 125$ a month. With A/C on, averages the same as winter bills.

Winter I leave it on 22cel or 72F
Summer. 20cel or 68F or less..depends

Yeah it is crazy. Obviously summers are my high times as in the winter I keep the house at 66. During the summer I keep it at 78 during the day and 75 at night and our bills run about $450 during that time and will peak at $750 to $850 if we have long string of 100+ days. Now that includes me working from home which is about $100 a month on its own with all the crap I have running.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So prior to getting my bulldog I definitely went with energy saving settings on our thermostat so that it was pretty chilly in the winter and during the day in the summer it is kept pretty warm in the house. But what is the optimal temps to stay between to keep my bulldog comfortable? I live in Pittsburgh, PA and it is finally getting warm this week so I started to think about this. View attachment 112349

Hi there! What a cutie..... we are in the Philly area.... we set at 70-72 in summer and winter is around 66-68

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
68-70Ā°...that's where the Bullies like it, and that's where I like it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.