bulldawg

Apr 28, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chewbert
Hello,
We have a 2.5 year old English Bulldog that has been recently diagnosed, via x-ray, with a 1cm bladder stone. We (the vet) has determined that his PH is alkaline so their educated guess is that it's a Struvite stone.

We would like to avoid surgery and would rather dissolve the stone with diet. Our biggest concern is the stone becoming lodged in the urethra.

Can anyone provided details regarding blocked urinary tracks and size of stones?

thanks so much!

We have already again sooo much info reading other bulldog owners stories on this message board and we hope to share our experience as we progress with this issue.
Jason

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would rather have the urine tested than leave it to a guess... no matter how educated. First time my boy had urate stones his pH was 9, cause of the infection. Urates form in acidic urine and are fairly common in bulldogs.

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
Welcome and sorry your boy is having such problems. I know there are plenty of people here who have experience with this and will be along to help answer your questions. Best of luck to you!
:welcome: Please let us know how everything progresses - you are correct that your story can help others.

OP
B

bulldawg

Apr 28, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chewbert
Thanks RiiSi, your feedback is definitely helpful.

I was thinking of putting Chewbert on a Hill's C/D or Royal Canin SO diet that will dissolve struvite stones. After having him on the diet for a month we would xray him to see if the stone is dissolving. If not then surgery will probably be needed.

My only concern is the stone getting stuck in the urethra. It would be great to know if other English Bulldogs of his size (around 60lbs) have passed 1cm stones or is this considered a HUGE stone that will for sure block the urethra if discharged from the bladder.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
That's a large stone...for those that don't know the metric system well, it's a little over 3/8". If a human passed something that big the pain would be incredible...I can't imagine it would be any less painful for a bulldog.
If given the same scenario and based on past experience we'd have the vet go in and get it. Left to dissolve is not worth risk. We almost lost one of our rescues to this.

OP
B

bulldawg

Apr 28, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chewbert
He has a little pink blood at the end when urinating. He seems to want to go out to pee more often. He is able to hold his pee throughout the night but has had a couple small accidents in the house in the last couple a weeks which is unusual.

OP
B

bulldawg

Apr 28, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chewbert
Thanks Osermayer. This is very helpful. I think surgery maybe the only option.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
He has a little pink blood at the end when urinating. He seems to want to go out to pee more often. He is able to hold his pee throughout the night but has had a couple small accidents in the house in the last couple a weeks which is unusual.

As a medic I have seen patients who were passing stones. The pain is incredible. I feel for your Chewbert. Is there possibly a procedure using a ultrasonic frequency spectrophotometer kind of tool to break it up so Chewbert can pass the thing?

BTW a pH of is neutral and a pH of 9 is alkaline. Below 7 is acidic.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=18275]bulldawg[/MENTION] Been there (with dog) had the surgery-would not wait,could be bad decision.

OP
B

bulldawg

Apr 28, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chewbert
***UPDATE****
Hello All,
Two weeks ago we had the surgery to remove the stone and all is well! He was back to normal about a day after the surgery.

The vet had the stone analysed and it is a CYSTINE stone, which we all thought it WOULD NOT be. The the tests and symptoms leading up to the surgery pointed to a struvite stone for these reasons; 1) we could see the stone on the xray - This was due to the fact that the stone was covered in calcium so it was visible on xray. 2) Cystine stones are rare, so we just thought the odds were in our favor... 3) there were signs of struvite crystals in his urine. These may have been present due to the infection that the cystine stone caused.

So what i have learnt for this experience, and what everyone told me, is that there is no way of knowing what stone is in your dog. DON'T GUESS!

We are still trying to figure out why our pooch is growing cystine stones. We made the decision to neuter Chewbert while he was under for the stone removable procedure. Neutering is a recommended treatment for cystine stone according to our vet. We have also put Chewbert on a Royal Canin UC diet to control his pH and other factors regarding cystine stones.

We are now assuming that the Cystine stone is type 3. There are some followup tests at the 2 and 6 month mark to determine if he is still growing stones and what type of cystine stone he is prone to grow. So, fingers and paws crossed that the neutering, or diet, will fix the issues.

The only issue he has experienced after the surgery was minor. Chewberts groin skin is thick and it's taking a while to completely close-up, The inner layers of skin are healed, but the outer layers are taking their time. No sign of infection and no inflammation so the vet scraped and re-stapled the incision. No reason for concern though. I'm happy went through with the surgery.

THANKS to everyone who provide feedback. You comments helped make our decision to go forward with the surgery and clearly surgery was the right choise. If we guessed and treated for struvite stones we would have treated the stone incorrectly causing further damage to our poor pooch. So Thanks again!

I'm curious to hear if any other bulldog owners have experience with cystine stones. I will scan the threads shortly to see if this is already a topic, if not i'll post a new thread.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
***UPDATE****
Hello All,
Two weeks ago we had the surgery to remove the stone and all is well! He was back to normal about a day after the surgery.

The vet had the stone analysed and it is a CYSTINE stone, which we all thought it WOULD NOT be. The the tests and symptoms leading up to the surgery pointed to a struvite stone for these reasons; 1) we could see the stone on the xray - This was due to the fact that the stone was covered in calcium so it was visible on xray. 2) Cystine stones are rare, so we just thought the odds were in our favor... 3) there were signs of struvite crystals in his urine. These may have been present due to the infection that the cystine stone caused.

So what i have learnt for this experience, and what everyone told me, is that there is no way of knowing what stone is in your dog. DON'T GUESS!

We are still trying to figure out why our pooch is growing cystine stones. We made the decision to neuter Chewbert while he was under for the stone removable procedure. Neutering is a recommended treatment for cystine stone according to our vet. We have also put Chewbert on a Royal Canin UC diet to control his pH and other factors regarding cystine stones.

We are now assuming that the Cystine stone is type 3. There are some followup tests at the 2 and 6 month mark to determine if he is still growing stones and what type of cystine stone he is prone to grow. So, fingers and paws crossed that the neutering, or diet, will fix the issues.

The only issue he has experienced after the surgery was minor. Chewberts groin skin is thick and it's taking a while to completely close-up, The inner layers of skin are healed, but the outer layers are taking their time. No sign of infection and no inflammation so the vet scraped and re-stapled the incision. No reason for concern though. I'm happy went through with the surgery.

THANKS to everyone who provide feedback. You comments helped make our decision to go forward with the surgery and clearly surgery was the right choise. If we guessed and treated for struvite stones we would have treated the stone incorrectly causing further damage to our poor pooch. So Thanks again!

I'm curious to hear if any other bulldog owners have experience with cystine stones. I will scan the threads shortly to see if this is already a topic, if not i'll post a new thread.

Cystinuria is a hereditary condition that normally affects male, unaltered bulldogs. This type is testosterone driven so neutering should take care of the problem. Louie has cystinuria but he was tested as a puppy so I knew before I got him. I had him neutered just over 11 months old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Happy to hear all went well and you got answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online