Help Needed! Vet again - what are we missing?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Could not upload the videos - they were too large so just going to add some pictures.
1st picture - the foamy mucus she hacked up after the lemon juice and while being steamed. It was approx. 2-3 inches long for reference
View attachment 112246
2nd picture - her laying in the bathroom during steaming
View attachment 112247

When I first had Nyala my brindle, she was coughing like a horse n green guk coming through her nose, eye n throat. Hereā€™s a little story and what I did. IT WORKED!!! Better that what the vet gave.

When I bought Nyala home at 3 months old, she was doing fine. At 5 months she caught a cold had to be put on antibiotics for 7 days she had green snots, guk coming out of her nose n eyes 24/7 I have a diffuser ultrasonic ionizer and I decided to do my own mix that I use for my breathing when I get all stuffed up at night. My diffuser is on all day n night. Has a timer. It took 2 days for all to clear Nyala's cold n guk. I put the diffuser towards her kennel while she was sleeping. I swear it worked better and faster than her pills. BUT I still gave her the antibiotics.

Respiratory/Colds (In the diffuser. Cup size in diffuser is about 1/2cup)
This was for her nights but you can also use daytime. I leave it all day also so when she's roaming around the house she gets to clear her lungs. Again I have a timer on mine.

3 drops of Eucalyptus
3 drops of Peppermint
3 drops of Lavender
2 drops of Lemon

Oil and water DO NOT mix why you need a diffuser that is ultrasonic ionizer cause the vibration is so fast it breaks the oils in the water. If you put oils in your bath you need a carrier which means like a teaspoon of honey or coconut oil n mix it in then put it under running water.

If you have a diffuser thatā€™s bigger like i now have, up your drops to 8.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
Saturday update: Just used the vaporizer last night (no alarm) and she slept fine from 10:30pm - til wake up at 6:00am. Glad I was able to take a video earlier this week to show the vet on Monday. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] we have been using the diffuser with that recipe (thanks to you!) day & night since her second round of pneumonia. :salute:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Saturday update: Just used the vaporizer last night (no alarm) and she slept fine from 10:30pm - til wake up at 6:00am. Glad I was able to take a video earlier this week to show the vet on Monday. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] we have been using the diffuser with that recipe (thanks to you!) day & night since her second round of pneumonia. :salute:

Keep it on as itā€™s going to help unclog phlegm stuck in the lungs. Glad itā€™s helping!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Saturday update: Just used the vaporizer last night (no alarm) and she slept fine from 10:30pm - til wake up at 6:00am. Glad I was able to take a video earlier this week to show the vet on Monday. @helsonwheels we have been using the diffuser with that recipe (thanks to you!) day & night since her second round of pneumonia. :salute:

Great progress!

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
Great progress!

Well not such progress - up at 4:11 am this morning. The only thing different about yesterday was she had a treat (we were out and I made more last night). Rice flour, peanut butter, eggs & pumpkin. Her food has eggs & pumpkin in it so if there is an allergy it would be rice flour or peanut butter. Could one small treat cause a reaction?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well not such progress - up at 4:11 am this morning. The only thing different about yesterday was she had a treat (we were out and I made more last night). Rice flour, peanut butter, eggs & pumpkin. Her food has eggs & pumpkin in it so if there is an allergy it would be rice flour or peanut butter. Could one small treat cause a reaction?

Yes... Banks could not have any type or small amount of chicken... hives within the hour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Some NOTES

Using wheat-based flours for dog biscuits can work for many dogs; however, like some humans, some dogs are sensitive to wheat. If the dog you're baking for is okay with wheat, you can use it to bake treats.

Not all peanut butter is safe for pets, and all dog owners should know about this potentially deadly ingredient. Xylitol, a sweetener used in many foods, including peanut butter, yogurt, toothpaste and chewing gum, is safe for humans but potentially deadly for dogs.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/3-reasons-peanut-butter-isnt-safe-for-dogs-or-people/

Also read this article. I put in my holistic thread. About carbs...potatoes, peas n raw...oh n kibbles...nothing is wrong with kibbles just what the ingredients....important as we all know...

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/are-potatoes-good-for-dogs-and-other-questions-about-starch/

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
Some NOTES

Using wheat-based flours for dog biscuits can work for many dogs; however, like some humans, some dogs are sensitive to wheat. If the dog you're baking for is okay with wheat, you can use it to bake treats.

Not all peanut butter is safe for pets, and all dog owners should know about this potentially deadly ingredient. Xylitol, a sweetener used in many foods, including peanut butter, yogurt, toothpaste and chewing gum, is safe for humans but potentially deadly for dogs.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/3-reasons-peanut-butter-isnt-safe-for-dogs-or-people/

Also read this article. I put in my holistic thread. About carbs...potatoes, peas n raw...oh n kibbles...nothing is wrong with kibbles just what the ingredients....important as we all know...

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/are-potatoes-good-for-dogs-and-other-questions-about-starch/

We use the all natural peanut butter - ground in the store (basically just ground peanuts). I have no idea how she does with wheat/gluten because she has not yet had any. I appreciate all the information!

- - - Updated - - -

Appointment with the Internist at 11:15 am PDT. I will update after we get home. Thank you all :)

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
We're back. Long day but we have some answers.

She had an Esophagoscopy done - results were Hiatal Hernia and Gastro-Esophageal Reflux with poor lower esophageal tone and possible mild duodenitis
Basically her stomach acid is backing up at night due to an empty stomach and complicated by the hernia and esophageal sphincter.

They also ran a complete blood work, a few cultures and several biopsies. Her blood work is all good. They will get back to us with the other results.

They prescribed Metoclopramide and a small meal prior to going to bed. If she stops having the episodes then they want us to schedule her surgeries plus hernia repair in two weeks. They checked her palate while she was under and it definitely needs to be done as well as her palatine tonsils and laryngeal saccules.

I am just relieved to have some answers and hopefully more restful nights for both of us :yes:

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

She had an Esophagoscopy done - results were Hiatal Hernia and Gastro-Esophageal Reflux with poor lower esophageal tone and possible mild duodenitis
Basically her stomach acid is backing up at night due to an empty stomach and complicated by the hernia and esophageal sphincter.

They also ran a complete blood work, a few cultures and several biopsies. Her blood work is all good. They will get back to us with the other results.

They prescribed Metoclopramide and a small meal prior to going to bed. If she stops having the episodes then they want us to schedule her surgeries plus hernia repair in two weeks. They checked her palate while she was under and it definitely needs to be done as well as her palatine tonsils and laryngeal saccules.

I am just relieved to have some answers and hopefully more restful nights for both of us :yes:

Ellie and I are just catching up!! We send our best, and will keep you in our thoughts :hug::hug:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

So good to hear you have answers and some direction.... sending lots of positive thoughts for your girl!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.