Bladder infection

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Hi guys! Havent been on in a couple of days so I am trying to catch up on things. I took Mocha to vets today beacuse She had yellped a couple of times this week. The times the this happend Scott called me at work to tell me about it. She has been acting normal,eating,running and playing as usual. We where thinking it could be her belly but then I notice her vagina was a bit swollen. We took Her in today and the Vet checked her urine and also did a CBC(blood count) this came out normal:whew:but she did had an infection in her bladder. The administer 2 injections,one penicillin ,the other Metacam to reduce the swelling. She will start her antibiotics tomorrow(Clavamox 250 mg). Is there anything else I can do for Her? How can I prevent her from getting these bladder infections? How does a normal eb vagina looks like? I ask because Mocha has always looked puffy.

Last edited:

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Aww. Poor baby. Did the vet examine her vagina? Not sure if this is helpful info or not but this is my experience with UTI's that lead to Bladder infections. Lucy had a few UTI/bladder infections in a row a while back. She was probably about 13 months old. Once it got so bad that I saw red urine/blood streaming out of her while she was urinating and I almost passed out from shock.

After a few courses of antibiotics our vet closely examined her girl bits. Our vet said that she had a slightly inverted vulva--which meant her girl parts curled in a bit which turned out to be the perfect place for bacteria to breed, leading to uti's and bladder infections.

The fix for us was quite simple. When I am cleaning Lucy's face wrinkles in the morning I clean her girly area with warm water (sometimes I uses a diluted baby shampoo mixture) but plain warm water on a wash cloth will do. Then I dry it . After she urinates I wipe her with a tissue to make sure her vagina stays dry. This sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't.

Our vet said that there is a possibility that she would outgrow this. As she matures the folds on her vagina would/may fall a bit--but I forget to ask him to examine it when she visits the vet. I have kept up with the routine of I mentioned and she hasn't had an infection since. She is a 2.5 now.

I hope this information helps you.

auntiex3

Feb 15, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu & Clara
Bladder infections...yuk...Lulu is still dealing with one. Feb 8th started her on 2 wks if cefalexin...didn't handle the problem...my vet took x-rays & then started her on clavamox...just retested yesterday, much improved but still another round of clavamox. I feel your frustration. We are also giving her Solid Gold cranberry powder twice daily. As for the bullie vajayjay...we have always wiped both of our girls when they potty. It seems we have to be more "thorough" due to the folds. One thing we are trying is to get Lulu to go pee more often...she has an iron bladder!!!! Good luck Mocha...we can compare notes:heart:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
One thing to be certain of is make sure she drinks plenty of water. This is one reason why so many bullies get bladder infections. That and holding it. Adding broth to their water is a good way to make sure they drink plenty :)

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
HI! Your poor baby. Iā€™m a newbie who signed up with this site precisely because I thought my 2 1/2 year old bullyā€™s experience with UTIā€™s and bladder problems would be of use to other bully Mom and Dads!!! (well, that and the pictures and stories!)

My bulldog Lupe I guess was born with an inverted vulva, basically it was totally abnormal. If breeders tell you about this, then you can wait for the first heat to see if it self-corrects. But we didnā€™t know, and Lupe just kept getting UTIs and bladder crystals.

We tried everything!!! Cranberries, apple cider vinegar in her water, and low protein diet. Plus, water in her food, cleaning her daily (she still lays down and rolls over when I bring out the warm washcloth) and right, just plenty of water. A vet prescription food helped the bladder crystals but not the infections. These infections can have a lot to do with PH but also something called ā€œascendantā€ bacteria, which means it travels into her body after she pees etc. because of the abnormal anatomy.

The biggest danger of course, aside from having an uncomfortable dog, is that the bacteria will set up in her kidneys. Also, now you know sheā€™s had an infection, you might need to keep checking, like, monthly.

We finally opted for plastic surgery for Lupeā€™s vay-jj. Itā€™s called a vulvaplasty. Itā€™s not that dangerous other than the basic surgery concerns because theyā€™re just re-locating her girly parts. We went to a specialty surgeon. Lupe was out in 24 hours, and I slept next to her for days. Uuuuggh.

This was stressful, several thousand dollars, but frankly, I feel awful that we didnā€™t do it sooner. I paid extra for a ā€œscopeā€ of her bladder and the vet said it was ā€œinflamed and angry.ā€ Lupe is now off all antibiotics, transitioning to normal food, no longer whimpers when she pees (that was HEARTbreaking), and has become even more giddy, sweet and happy than she already was. All the meds and vet visits/urine tests...it takes a toll, so I'm so happy we did this.

Good luck. I really hope your puppy doesnā€™t have as serious of a deformity as Lupe. When I researched this over the last year, it does seem people have luck with just daily cleaning and plenty of drinking water.

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Thank you so much for all the great advice!! I knew I had to wipe her Vajayjay, but I havent been doing it. She had a bad bladder infection during her first and only heat cycle and it was just horrible. She is doing good the only thing now is trying to get her to have her medicine. The only thing the vet said was that bulldogs drag ther vaginas when the pee and therefore bacteria get in there. Thank you so much ladies for the help. great information.:heart: