Help Needed! Redness appearing all around my English Bulldog

babytrappy

Apr 21, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Trappy
Hello! I am new here. Iā€™m glad this exist because Iā€™be found great answers and advices here. I actually found out about Taste of The Wild in a discussion here. The orange TOTW bag is what Iā€™ve been feeding my baby. He is an English Bulldog of 8 months now. He has been really good with that food. His tear stains cleared completely when i switched to TOTW actually. I was so happy to see him do good on it however, as of lately he hasnā€™t been eating it. I started mixing it with a little bit of wet food or else he wonā€™t eat the kebbles alone.
I started noticing redness appearing under his chin. It seems to be getting worse :( i hope this isnā€™t hurting him. Then today i bathe him & instantly notice red scab spots all over him. There are a few around his belly and in between his toes. I donā€™t know what could be causing this since heā€™s been good with the food but Iā€™ve read it is good to switch it out from time to time. I know itā€™s spring season and allergies might be taking in place. He licks his paws occasionally. He sometimes wipes his paws on his face from time to time as well. He sneezes pretty often lately too.
Does anyone know what this could be? If this seems to be a bad case, then i will take him to his Vet as soon as I can.
I appreciate it! Iā€™ll attached photos as well! My little babyā€™s name is Trappy! I included a photo of him right now as well. As you can see his tear stain is getting worse. It used to be absolutely nothing.
3F024806-279A-41A0-9BBA-A668A07708E4.jpegFB69A7A9-B50A-42C0-92D9-6006C2962183.jpegBD8BA4FD-B1AA-4CC9-B824-BD597B688346.jpegBB87582B-C66A-4A91-BF7A-6B2FFC89D647.jpeg

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Could be environmental allergies. One of my pups gets it every spring. :(

Trappy is a cutie!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
yep,, looks to be defiantly allergies to me but.......... will leave that to the pros and just say hello and Welcome :) Lots of help to come :)

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
:welcome2: Have you noticed any fleas? The 4th photo looks like there might be some flea dirt in there. I hope you and Trappy are able to get this situation resolved quickly!

PS - He's adorable!

Last edited:

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
Me again - had more thoughts:
Did the redness/bumps start after you added the wet food? Are you giving him any treats, snacks, toppers or supplements?

Anything in his environment change?
New bedding or recently washed bedding?
Carpets, rugs, furniture shampooed or cleaned?
Are you using plastic food or water bowls? Have you switched dish detergent?
New collar, harness or sweaters/bandanas?
Has your yard been recently fertilized or treated?
Have you changed laundry soap, fabric softeners or dryer sheets/ (brands or scents)
Anyone in your home changed or begun to use new soap, body wash or spray, sunscreen, lotion or insect repellent?
Had anything dry cleaned lately?
Do you have other pets and if so have they had new food or treats or been bathed or treated topically for anything?

I don't experience with dog allergies (thank goodness) but tons with childrens allergies. I know there are plenty of people here who will chime in to advice you on medications and diet as well. Once again - best of luck!!

OP
babytrappy

babytrappy

Apr 21, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Trappy
Me again - had more thoughts:
Did the redness/bumps start after you added the wet food? Are you giving him any treats, snacks, toppers or supplements?

Anything in his environment change?
New bedding or recently washed bedding?
Carpets, rugs, furniture shampooed or cleaned?
Are you using plastic food or water bowls? Have you switched dish detergent?
New collar, harness or sweaters/bandanas?
Has your yard been recently fertilized or treated?
Have you changed laundry soap, fabric softeners or dryer sheets/ (brands or scents)
Anyone in your home changed or begun to use new soap, body wash or spray, sunscreen, lotion or insect repellent?
Had anything dry cleaned lately?
Do you have other pets and if so have they had new food or treats or been bathed or treated topically for anything?

I don't experience with dog allergies (thank goodness) but tons with childrens allergies. I know there are plenty of people here who will chime in to advice you on medications and diet as well. Once again - best of luck!!

Hi thank you for taking your time to help! I highly highly appreciate it! As far as all the questions, my backyard is a grass area and he spends a lot of time there when we play after he gets his ball he instantly lays down on the grass. I use tide detergent but use very little for his bedding. I give him treats from time to time i use the brand SoJos. I heard good things about it so I got it with peanut butter flavor.
His chin area has been like that before the wet food. The wet food flavor is chicken. I only do it in the morning because he refuses to eat just his kebbles alone but in the afternoon he eats it alone which is odd. I started noticing the ones on his body and on his toes just yesterday so itā€™s after the wet food. Iā€™m gonna stop giving him that for now. I havenā€™t given him treats for a little while either because I want to see if itā€™s anything in those.
Itā€™s spring season and Las Vegas is sooo bipolar so i feel bad for him. Itā€™s hot in the afternoon cold at night and in the morning. I recently took him to the doggie park as well and i think the grass there might be dirty because thereā€™s like areas where thereā€™s chunks of dirt on top of the grass. It seems like fertilizer idk maybe i shouldnā€™t take him there anymore.

OP
babytrappy

babytrappy

Apr 21, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Trappy
:welcome2: Have you noticed any fleas? The 4th photo looks like there might be some flea dirt in there. I hope you and Trappy are able to get this situation resolved quickly!

PS - He's adorable!

I havenā€™t notice any fleas. He doesnā€™t scratch himself often just like here and there. Thank you! He is very sweet as well as to why I want to find the solution for this. I hope it doesnā€™t hurt him.

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
Any updates [MENTION=18251]babytrappy[/MENTION]?
I forgot to ask if you have any new plants coming up in the yard this spring? Flowers, herbs, veggies that he may have walked through or rolled on?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi thank you for taking your time to help! I highly highly appreciate it! As far as all the questions, my backyard is a grass area and he spends a lot of time there when we play after he gets his ball he instantly lays down on the grass. I use tide detergent but use very little for his bedding. I give him treats from time to time i use the brand SoJos. I heard good things about it so I got it with peanut butter flavor.
His chin area has been like that before the wet food. The wet food flavor is chicken. I only do it in the morning because he refuses to eat just his kebbles alone but in the afternoon he eats it alone which is odd. I started noticing the ones on his body and on his toes just yesterday so itā€™s after the wet food. Iā€™m gonna stop giving him that for now. I havenā€™t given him treats for a little while either because I want to see if itā€™s anything in those.
Itā€™s spring season and Las Vegas is sooo bipolar so i feel bad for him. Itā€™s hot in the afternoon cold at night and in the morning. I recently took him to the doggie park as well and i think the grass there might be dirty because thereā€™s like areas where thereā€™s chunks of dirt on top of the grass. It seems like fertilizer idk maybe i shouldnā€™t take him there anymore.

Welcome! could be environmental or food allergy? Any odor to the paws.. like Roger mentioned, corn chip like?
Make sure to keep his face and chin dry.. wipe after drinking. Give him regular benedryl 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day... see if it helps at all. And, wipe his face, paws and belly with a cool wash cloth after coming in from outside

OP
babytrappy

babytrappy

Apr 21, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Trappy
There is no smell to it, it hasnā€™t gotten any better as Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t just go away that quickly but Iā€™ve been wiping him constantly whenever he goes in and out of the house & whenever he drinks water, Iā€™ve also transitioned to only purified or filtered water, hopefully thatā€™s better. Iā€™ve given him Benadryl for the past two days as well. Hopefully he gets better.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There is no smell to it, it hasnā€™t gotten any better as Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t just go away that quickly but Iā€™ve been wiping him constantly whenever he goes in and out of the house & whenever he drinks water, Iā€™ve also transitioned to only purified or filtered water, hopefully thatā€™s better. Iā€™ve given him Benadryl for the past two days as well. Hopefully he gets better.

Which protein is the TOTW orange bag? At 8 months you can be feeding the adult version now so is the orange bag still puppy?

OP
babytrappy

babytrappy

Apr 21, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Trappy
Yes the orange bag is still puppy, it is Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-Free formulated with proteins including buffalo and bison, Aalso includes peas and sweet potatoes. I will be making a switch to adult food now. Thank you for that info! So much great advices from here i appreciate it so much!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes the orange bag is still puppy, it is Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Formula Grain-Free formulated with proteins including buffalo and bison, Aalso includes peas and sweet potatoes. I will be making a switch to adult food now. Thank you for that info! So much great advices from here i appreciate it so much!

Great... keep us posted after switching to the adult TOTW... like to know how you are all making out

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online