Need help with Emmitt's skin

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
A few weeks ago Emmitt had three little bumps that looked like bug bites. They were raised pink and the hair was missing there. All the animals in the house are on flea control so I'm not sure what they were.

Anyway, 2 of the 3 bumps didn't heal well. The bump is down, but the skin is red and irritated and getting wider. He's missing 2 patches of hair now and they are looking worse.

The two bad spots are behind his ear and on his leg. They are scaly and seem to itch him.

What should I put on these things. The one on his back healed up fine. I assume that's because he couldn't get at it.

Thank you.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
If they are making him scratch, you could try a dab of hydrocortisone creme. That's what I have been putting on Bertie's foot to keep her from chewing on the growth that popped up last week.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Take him in! You might be dealing with mange. Although Vegas's weren't scaly.....they tend to get wider as it progresses. They can do a simple skin scrape and look under a microscope to find out if it is or isn't mange. This is just one possibility.
[MENTION=1443]Emmitt E[/MENTION]

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
Is it a hot spot? If it is it will soon ooze and look infected, putting antibiotic cream on them seems to help, and most important clean it often with peroxide.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Is it a hot spot? If it is it will soon ooze and look infected, putting antibiotic cream on them seems to help, and most important clean it often with peroxide.

this is what I was thinking, when Duke was a puppy he got these. We would clean it and put neosporin on it but agree have the vet take a peek too.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I think [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] is on the same track I am. See if Dr Turman can get him in sometime this week and do a scraping. Bella came down with the same thing last night, behind her ear.
URGH

[MENTION=1443]Emmitt E[/MENTION], how is his weight doing?

OP
Emmitt E

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Thanks guys.

I'll put some triple antibiotic on it for now and call the vet.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I would also suggest that the first stop be the vet. I was also going to say that this past week I noticed Tubs' deep wrinkles on his face had scabs in them and were really raw. I think it was my fault and didn't get them dry enough after his last bath. I put Animax Ointment on them 2 times (once at night and again in the monring) and they all healed up right away. I got it from my vet, so you might want to ask about that when you go......

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Same issue with Belly..turned out to be mange. If it is, best to get it early. Glad you're taking him in to get it checked out.

OP
Emmitt E

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Yep, it was demodectic mange.

He's on promeris and Cephlexin. Luckily it doesn't seem to bother him too much. Let's hope it doesn't get much worse before it gets better.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
A quick bump on this one [MENTION=1443]Emmitt E[/MENTION] - how is the treatment for the mange going?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yes .. I'm curious too ... how are things going???

1badchicken

Feb 23, 2011
Austin Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Cali
So can you get rid of the mange or just control it
Bella and Cali was on cefalexin and then developed a yeast because of the antibiotic
They don't have the mange but had a rash on them

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Good Day~
As many others have expressed, finding out what it IS sometimes first has to start with what it is NOT. EBD can have a variety of skin conditions. Allergies can be from food, environment, bedding, eating a bug or spider, or from parasites or bacteria.
Getting the skin scraping done rules out the BIG problem of Demodectic or Red mange.
Demodectic Mange in Dogs | http://www.ehow.com/about_5402560_demodectic-mange-dogs.html
Treatment | http://www.mange-in-dogs.com/demodectic-mange-in-dogs.php

So now you know what it is and how to go about dealing with the problem.
A antibiotic, Ivermectin and a benzo-pyroxide shampoo are very effective in treatment. Others also have had success also adding C-Silver, and DE.

Take care,

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...1-what-do-you-know-about-demodecosis.html#top

Here is the thread also posted about this.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.