Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Hi all,

Hoping for some advice on how to deal with this.
I'm 100% sure that Reggie has hyperkeratosis on his paw pads - his feet look exactly like the pictures I've found online.
Now, I've read a lot of information that says the hyperkeratosis has to be trimmed back, and then his pads need to be maintained with soem sort of intensive moisture product.
Our issue is this - as good as Reggies behaviour is now, he will not let anyone get anywhere near him when trying to treat him for anything. He will run a mile at the first sign of any of the following - nail clippers, nail buffer, ear drops, ear cleaner, eye drops, flea treatment (any kind of dropper bottle basically). He won't even eat his beefy flavoured worming tablets.
If you manage to get hold of him we can, and will get snappy.
Our vet has extensive experience with Reggie and says if we take him in for the trimming then the only way he will do it is under sedation - not ideal.

Struggling to come up with a plan of action, and any advice on what tools you guys use would help too - regular scizzors etc

Thanks in advance!!
Em, Kev & Reggie x

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There are flat-face dog nuzzles you can buy to help. Also, leash him before you pull out any of the items needed for grooming. Buy a good set of scissors or clippers and do a little each day so he can get used to it... and treat, treat treat while working with him. try to make it a positive experience.

I use Musher's Secret on our guys paws... LOVE the stuff

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hello Erin & Reggie!

My Cami had this, not only the furry looking stuff (like hair) on the bottom
of paw pads (trimmed with sharp scissors) but hard, hornlike growths that
grew out of paw pads like & beside the nails (cut off with heavy duty clippers.
Moisturizing creams helped her nose but not her feet really.

Can you give calming meds on Vet day to calm him? There is a holistic treatment
called Rescue Remedy that works well.

Good luck and update us, please.

OP
R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Thanks for the advice!!
I'm just a bit unsure on getting sharp scissors near him. If he decides he's not gonna play ball, or freaks out then I don't want him ending up getting hurt.
But I also don't want to have to get him sedated. He's such a frustrating boy to try & help!!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the advice!!
I'm just a bit unsure on getting sharp scissors near him. If he decides he's not gonna play ball, or freaks out then I don't want him ending up getting hurt.
But I also don't want to have to get him sedated. He's such a frustrating boy to try & help!!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Try a groomer and see if they have a flat face muzzle... worth a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=879]Reggie[/MENTION]sParents I am glad to hear that Reg. has calmed down-but now you have a new problem-poor mama! There are a few flat face muzzles on Amazon UK, and your Vet may be able to give you some tranx to calm Reggie enough that you may be able to do some trimming. If he likes the water, perhaps yo9u could soak him in the tub or kiddie pool before trying to trim. I know he's a tough one-best of luck to you and the "little guy".

Florita

May 4, 2019
Country
Slovenia
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi all,

Hoping for some advice on how to deal with this.
I'm 100% sure that Reggie has hyperkeratosis on his paw pads - his feet look exactly like the pictures I've found online.
Now, I've read a lot of information that says the hyperkeratosis has to be trimmed back, and then his pads need to be maintained with soem sort of intensive moisture product.
Our issue is this - as good as Reggies behaviour is now, he will not let anyone get anywhere near him when trying to treat him for anything. He will run a mile at the first sign of any of the following - nail clippers, nail buffer, ear drops, ear cleaner, eye drops, flea treatment (any kind of dropper bottle basically). He won't even eat his beefy flavoured worming tablets.
If you manage to get hold of him we can, and will get snappy.
Our vet has extensive experience with Reggie and says if we take him in for the trimming then the only way he will do it is under sedation - not ideal.

Struggling to come up with a plan of action, and any advice on what tools you guys use would help too - regular scizzors etc

Thanks in advance!!
Em, Kev & Reggie x

Hi Em,
For his behaviour, I would recommend you find some professional help. There are many ways to change his behaviour/fear.

Hyperkeratosis presents a disease that can affect both nose and paws. It occurs when a dogs body produces too much keratin. Keratin is a structural protein of everyone’s body and is meritorious for hair production. Hyperkeratosis is followed by ugly-looking crusts on a dog’s nose and hair on its paw pads.
It’s highly advisable to take your dog to the vet from the first spotted symptoms of hyperkeratosis.
For more information about Hyperkeratosis, I recommend reading the article https://flora4pets.com/blogs/news/hyperkeratosis-in-dog-how-to-cure.
There are also some suggestions for natural treatment.

Best

Most Reactions