The dreaded "M" word...

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Been m.i.a for a little while..It was confirmed last week that Belly has demodectic mange. I'm pretty positive she got it from the prednisone shots she had to have with her puppy shots because of her bad reaction. We had to see a vet I don't care for at our clinic....the skin scrapings look worse than the mange :eek: All they gave her is some goodwinol ointment. Some of the mites were already dead in the scrapings, but she looks horrible! Is it supposed to look worse before it gets better :confused:

The vet was waiting 2 weeks to see if she really had to dip her because of Belly's past reaction with the puppy shots.Isn't there anything else? I feel like such a bad bully mommy :*(

This one and the one on top of her head are the worst of the spots. The rest are about the size of a dime to quarter and just bald.

006-3.jpg

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] ! I appreciate it! :heart:

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Okay,she was.my second dog to have it. A lo.g time ago I had a pug, hers was horrific! She had the dips which was a very long process that seemed not to help a whole lot. As well as prescribed shampoo. Never will do that again. Now gigi was put on a dose of promeris every two weeks . Normally promeris is a flea spot on once a month treatment. It has inver mectin and after 6 weeks she was fine and all hair grew back and beautiful. Google promeris and read. We love it and still use as a preventative on both dogs. After her second treatment she looked soooo much better! I would definately ask ur vet about it. The dips wrk but can be a very exhausting drawn out deal.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh that is very sad news! You are NOT a bad bully mama , this can happen to any of us and our bullies at any time! Poor Belly, I hope it clears up quickly....

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone! She looks awful but still such a happy little girl! :heart:

[MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] I did read about promeris online this morning. The vet didn't offer us that, she said it was either the ointment or a dip..nothing else. I'm calling our regular vet tuesday when she's back in the office and I'm going to check in with my mobile vet to see if it is something she can order for me.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Both Linus and Truman had mange but received different treatments.

Linus mange we let go longer than Truman's (we didn't know what it was) so it was pretty bad by the time we took him to the vet. He had a series of Mitoban dips and that was it. No more mange.

Truman just had mange and this time, he went on a 45 cycle of Invermectin and was also cured by that alone.

Your bully didn't get mange from a shot or something you did or didn't do - it's no one's fault! The mites naturally exist in the dog's skin and, especially in adolescent puppies, they can get the upper hand and cause problems. Mange and both of the treatments I mention above are very common. I am not certain what kind of reaction your bully had to puppy shots (sounds like allergic inflammation) but this is a whole different thing. With the dips, those are especially for dogs who do not tolerate other treatment well. With the Ivermectin, the dosage slowly increases to make sure the dog can tolerate it. Ivermectin is also used as a heartworm and flea medication.

I hope that helps, let us know how it goes and if you have other questions!

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] ! This vet made it sound like Belly could die from the dip and it would be a last resort. This is why we try and avoid getting her at the vet's office. Belly's face swelled up from her puppy shots...not to the point where she couldn't breath, but you could tell it was red and swollen. I'm going to shoot off an email to our mobile vet (I went to school with her) and see if she has something else. We couldn't get her over since she is booked up for 2 weeks in the evenings.

[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] I think it does itch her so I got an oatmeal/tea tree oil shampoo with Aloe to see if that gives her some relief. This junky ointment leaves her hair kind of orange....

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] :heart: I sent a message to the vet. Hoping since she's so busy she can give it to her boyfriend who works where I do and I can pay him and get Belly started on it. The oatmeal/tea tree oil shampoo seems to have stopped her scratching at the ones on her face and head. They aren't so red looking.

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
samson also got scrapped for mites. The scrape came up negative, sometimes i wonder if the results are wronge. He gets these bald spots but here is no redness or itching. Im dying to try to help his caot, i have just switched from garbage purina perscription food to natures instince and have grizzley salmon oil on its way, im hoping these help.

Sorry to hear about your dogs mange, i know thats not a fun process :(

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't know that about tea tree oil :ohmy: It definitely took away her itchiness, but as soon as I put the ointment back on her she scratched open the patch on the side of her face. I threatened her with a cone on her head, but I'm thinking she's ignoring me :rolleyes: I just gave her a benadryl.

[MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION] it could be something he was allergic to in his food so it's good that you are switching it to at least rule it out if that doesn't help. Bullies can be allergic to so much... chicken,root vegetables,grain... my last bully had alopecia where her hair would fall out on the sides and her skin would turn dark...never figured out what caused it , but it grew back.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online