The dreaded "M" word...

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig had mange too. The vet gave us a heartworm med called Interceptor which he had to take for 45 days. We went for a follow up after 3 weeks and the vet said he was clear so we stopped the meds altogether. From what I can recall, she avoided the dip route because she said it can be hard on our bullies, especially if they're still young.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Oh poor baby! Last year I notice Mocha had a little raised scab. I didnt know what it was but I notice a few days after that she was loosing her hair. I gave her a bath with oatmeal conditioner and I order Goodwinol online. I also found this amazing ointment for dogs 3-Way Ointment Sulfodene. It is great ,It works so fast and you can even use it in humans! I treated the spot with these two things and in less than 2 weeks it was back to normal.Her hair came back in the spot and I had never had any probles of this nature again.:up:

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Hudson and I hope that Belly is feeling all better soon! He can't wait to see her again! (Us too) I hope that by the time I've now put in a comment, that she's already doing way better!

*Hugs* and never, ever think you are a bad bully momma. You are the BEST!!!!

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Thanks so much for all the advice everyone! I got a hold of our mobile vet today and she said if it were her dog she would use the ProMeris so I ordered it from her online store and it should hopefully be here in a day!

[MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] The goodwinol might have worked if we had caught it sooner.It's spreading like wildfire on her right now so the ointment isn't helping anymore :(

Thank you [MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] for the instructions

[MENTION=1740]ILuvHudson[/MENTION] :heart: Thanks and Belly sends her kisses!

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Emmitt was just diagnosed with demodectic mange today and she's putting him on 3 rounds of promeris.
She's also prescribing some Cephlexin to prevent infection.

Emmitt is 7 months old.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor Emmitt! I hope to be getting the promeris in the mail tomorrow. Does the vet have you putting it on him every 2 weeks [MENTION=1443]Emmitt E[/MENTION] ? I've been giving Belly benadryl to keep her from itching at it.Hope he's back to normal soon!

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
She wants me to apply it every 21 days for three cycles.

Emmitt's don't look too irritated right now, just bald patches. They look bigger since he was there today. I'm not sure what they did at the office that made them grow. Maybe they shaved around them. Who knows?

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
[MENTION=1443]Emmitt E[/MENTION], yes they will take a scraping of the area. It will actually make the area look larger. Poor Emmitt, I am sure I will get the same answer Friday for Bella.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Im pretty sure my two have Demodex also. The vet said she thought it was. Gave me a medicated shampoo to use and it wasnt working. I used tea tree oil at the suggestion of a board member and its clearing up. I also ordered Goodwinol online. Hope its here soon

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Wow ... all these cases of mange that seem to be on here at the moment ... could it be the change of season???? :confused:

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
I was thinking it was odd all the dogs on here with it also. I never had a dog with mange before.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
that is odd, and I was told the mite lives on all dogs, just those with a weaker immune system sometimes allows the mite to become active. But it seems strange, because I hear more and more. My cousin has a chiuawa (taco bell dog) that has it too....hmmmm :confused: But I promise the Promeris will make Belly all better :up:

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Just got it in the mail! :up: Gotta call her regular vet in the morning to get some antibiotics..her poor face :*( Why do good vets go on vacation as soon as you NEED them?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Allergies I think attack the immune system.... I know it is vice versa, meaning a healthy immune system equals less allergies.

When the immune system is low, the more likely the mites will produce. Any stress or changes could cause this stress, including allergies, or even rearranging your furniture. So my guess would be, even on the best diet, depending on the severity of allergies, could still trigger these little buggers! I know puppy shots also lower the immune system as well. That is why vets won't give shots to an animal who is sick.

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Molly also has demodectic mange. My vet said to just let it be and it will get better on its own, but to make sure to call him if anything changes. She just has one spot on her neck, it doesn't itch or bother her at all. But its right where she wears a collar, so she's going nekkid for awhile until the demodex goes away. ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.