Cherry Eye Recovery

cbuttah

Oct 10, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
My pup recently was diagnosed with Cherry Eye and we decided to go through with the procedure to get it tacked down. This was 2 weeks ago. I still haven't taken off the e-collar because he will not stop scratching his eye that is healing. The vet has already cleared him to take it off but I am scared that if he continues to rub and scratch it the gland will pop back out. How many scratching is considered normal?

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Both of my dogs scratched a little, but it really wasn't a problem...Bertie never wore an e-collar and Dexter my cocker spaniel only had one on for a couple days. Just make sure and put the antibiotic ointment in their eyes.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My Wilson had a cherry eye but he did not scratch it. I don't see why you can't leave his e-collar on a little longer. Wilson wore his for four weeks.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Never dealt with Cherry Eye...I know Miss Molly/Shelly just got her Molly's eyes done not long ago. I don't recall her mentioning any scratching...But I can't see where the cone of shame would "hurt" having it on longer. Honestly if it gives you more ease about the situation. Then by all means...leave it on. It definitely can't "harm" him.

Do you have eye drops that your putting in the eye right now? If so I would continue to make sure you follow the directions as to how often. But other than that...I would go ahead and have him wear the cone.

H

heff101

Heff had a eye done when he got neutered. He never scratched it at all. We did have to apply antibiotics to the eyes for 7 days afterwards.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
My Mello just had her eye done last Monday. Her vet would not put on a collar as he said bulldogs have died from them and not being able to breath (putting there head down and getting it stuck against the floor) so along with her brother and mom and dad all wanting to play.... She gets drops in her eye two times a day in which she hates and it is a fight very time.... but other then that she is doing great.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.