General Question insurance

MindyD

Apr 7, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophia
Any thoughts on purchasing pet insurance? I've never had it with my other dogs, but with the health problems that come with EB's is it a good idea? Does anyone else have it and used it? Just trying to see if it's worth buying.

Thanks

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have it for both Louie and Jax (French Bulldog). I can now say it has paid off for me when it comes to Jax. He had to have surgery last summer which cost about $9,000 and with the insurance, they paid 90% of that. Now he gets monthly acupuncture and laser treatments which is covered at 90% as well as is his allergy medications.

Some people will just save and put money away each month for vet expenses and others have a credit card they only use for their pets.

No company will cover pre-existing conditions so if you decide to do insurance, you want to do it ASAP when the dog is just a puppy cause once a diagnosis is written down, it becomes pre-existing.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Cbrugs, What company do you use?

I have Nationwide, formerly VPI. The 90% back is with their Whole Pet with Wellness Plan, which is their most comprehensive plan. Jax was about $62 a month and Louie was about $58. However, Louie just came up for his renewal and I dropped him down to just their major medical plan as his rate was going to increase to $75 a month and as of right now, he is healthy and young and I couldn't justify spending that amount. Assuming he stays healthy, I can switch him back later. I know Jax's rate is going to increase as well and he definitely needs to stay on this plan with his condition which is another reason why I changed Louie's, so I can save money with him and use that towards Jax's costs (does that make sense). Both of these plans have a $250 yearly deductible.

I've never had any issues and they usually process the claim within about 2 weeks and you can even sign up for electronic deposits.

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
Any thoughts on purchasing pet insurance? I've never had it with my other dogs, but with the health problems that come with EB's is it a good idea? Does anyone else have it and used it? Just trying to see if it's worth buying.

Thanks

We have it for Bug and I am so thankful (never had it before). She has been treated for pneumonia 2x (once at the ER and once as an emergency appointment at our vet) Just those two visits, plus medication and follow up x-rays are over $1800. The estimate for her upcoming nare, palate surgery, spay & microchip is between $2100 - $2400 depending on some variables. The insurance has already pre-approved the surgeries. The insurance has more than paid for itself. I think it is worth the cost at least for the first year or two in case your EB has congenital issues that will require treatment. Just make sure to purchase it early because they will not cover anything that is pre-existing (ie has been diagnosed prior to the coverage or waiting period). We do also have a credit card set aside use the insurance reimbursement to pay that bill - that way we are never faced with having to fear the financial cost of treatment.

OP
M

MindyD

Apr 7, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophia
Thank you all so much for the advice. It would cost us about 30 a month, but I think that's without the wellness. Your advice has helped so much! Thank you

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.