General Question Tick

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Ewww! Iā€™m dealing with my first tick on Cyrus. Heā€™s on flea/tick preventative which he ended a week ago. Itā€™s from Earth MD and he had to eat it for a week. Itā€™s alive, the little legs are moving and I think thatā€™s itā€™s head? The bite now looks like a scab, I put some skin soother on it.

Do I need to worry? How can I tell if itā€™s head is still inside?

Thanks!
ba691470ce27f0e2abba6fe43f9407e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Your photo shows the tick with it's head intact. Good work! I would put antibiotic cream on the wound.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I ABSOLUTLEY HATE THOSE THINGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm suprised you found one this time of the year, especially in Canada.

Here in the Deep South, they are a real menace to society, I have to inspect my crew just about everytime they come inside.

Even us, after we've worked outside!!!!!!!!!!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I ABSOLUTLEY HATE THOSE THINGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm suprised you found one this time of the year, especially in Canada.

Here in the Deep South, they are a real menace to society, I have to inspect my crew just about everytime they come inside.

Even us, after we've worked outside!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iā€™m surprised too.
[MENTION=8581]Shahster[/MENTION]. Odd as we are all covered in snow everywhere. Did you go anywhere with Cyrus? As you know I goi walking on regular basis in Banff or Jasper n I always spray my 2 with the following n it works! I do not give them any meds whatsoever for fleas/ticks. I simply donā€™t believe in them but thatā€™s me. Also spray the outside collar on regular basis.

FOR TICKS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Put all in a spray bottle and shake.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Iā€™m surprised too.

[MENTION=8581]Shahster[/MENTION]. Odd as we are all covered in snow everywhere. Did you go anywhere with Cyrus? As you know I goi walking on regular basis in Banff or Jasper n I always spray my 2 with the following n it works! I do not give them any meds whatsoever for fleas/ticks. I simply donā€™t believe in them but thatā€™s me. Also spray the outside collar on regular basis.

FOR TICKS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Just an indorsement on this recepie.. We all went out fishing last year and 'some' of the fam had no protection at first. Bit up like crazy!!!!!!!!!! The finally let me spray this on them and they re-exposed themselves to the elements and no more bites on newly exposed areas at all. Great stuff!! and have to for some of us..

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Iā€™m in Toronto! Weā€™ve been to a park with tick warning signs that says to stay off the high grass and stay on the sidewalk. Which we always do. I found another tick that looks similar just smaller. Theyā€™re sooo gross. Iā€™m surprised theyā€™re out this early as well! Iā€™m going to try that spray because I donā€™t even want them jumping on Cyrus (or me!)

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Iā€™m surprised too.

FOR TICKS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

I donā€™t like the meds either, which is why I want to avoid the vet! Earth MD is natural and made with Quassia Bark, Neem Leaf, Spirulina, Garlic Powder. I contacted the owner and it sounds like theyā€™ll still jump, but will die once they bite.

Iā€™ll try that spray as well! Which company do you use for essential oils?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I donā€™t like the meds either, which is why I want to avoid the vet! Earth MD is natural and made with Quassia Bark, Neem Leaf, Spirulina, Garlic Powder. I contacted the owner and it sounds like theyā€™ll still jump, but will die once they bite.

awwww, sounds like a good one as well... ie "earth MD" .... Not sure of what Helene uses, but i mostly use doTerra but do use a few others as well

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
awwww, sounds like a good one as well... ie "earth MD" .... Not sure of what Helene uses, but i mostly use doTerra but do use a few others as well

Awesome! Iā€™ll buy some ASAP. Apparently the bites Iā€™m seeing arenā€™t actual bites, but itā€™s the meanies trying to latch on to the dogā€™s skin.

Gross gross. Iā€™m not going to worry just yet. The wounds donā€™t seem too bad (looks like a scab) and Cyrus is acting normal.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
and ...... i dont know if im right by this but.....I have gone with a few 'less expensive' oils if i know im not going to ingest. Such as "Now" Dr AXE, and i cant think of another right now but i do make sure i LOVE the quality of them b4 i go ahead and do the 'pay a tad less' option. i had gone ahead with joining the doTERRA group so get discounted products as well and LOVE them, but even now, will purchase outside of them if i feel good quality elswhere :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Doterra makes great oils. Young living fantastic but you pay for the name. I like Woolziesfrom N Y great prices! So long you have a bin#on the bottle means itā€™s traceable which means you have quality.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
and ...... i dont know if im right by this but.....I have gone with a few 'less expensive' oils if i know im not going to ingest. Such as "Now" Dr AXE, and i cant think of another right now but i do make sure i LOVE the quality of them b4 i go ahead and do the 'pay a tad less' option. i had gone ahead with joining the doTERRA group so get discounted products as well and LOVE them, but even now, will purchase outside of them if i feel good quality elswhere :)

NOW is also a great product! Came in 4th as best oil and a lot cheaper!!!

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Iā€™m surprised too.

FOR TICKS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

I need to make this! I use Young Living and Simply Earth for a less expensive option for my oils.

I am in Phoenix, I do not even know if we have ticks here? But I am making this just in case.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I need to make this! I use Young Living and Simply Earth for a less expensive option for my oils.

I am in Phoenix, I do not even know if we have ticks here? But I am making this just in case.

It will also keep mosquitoes away!!!

Members online