Help Needed! Constipated/Mucus

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hello!!

My pup didnā€™t poop at all yesterday. There were many attempts but only squirts of mucus came out. He vomited Saturday night and Sunday night, but other than that heā€™s normal.

I gave him a spoonful of pumpkin this morning to hopefully get some poop out. Heā€™s on a raw diet and Iā€™m fairly certain he didnā€™t swallow anything he couldnā€™t have.

If nothing happens today, weā€™re going to the vet. But does anyone have any suggestions? Are there signs of blockage that I could look for?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hello!!

My pup didnā€™t poop at all yesterday. There were many attempts but only squirts of mucus came out. He vomited Saturday night and Sunday night, but other than that heā€™s normal.

I gave him a spoonful of pumpkin this morning to hopefully get some poop out. Heā€™s on a raw diet and Iā€™m fairly certain he didnā€™t swallow anything he couldnā€™t have.

If nothing happens today, weā€™re going to the vet. But does anyone have any suggestions? Are there signs of blockage that I could look for?

Thank you!

Hi there. Please see below:

[h=2]What Causes Mucus in Stool?[/h]
Usually, you need not worry about seeing a small amount of mucus in your pet's stool. Dog stool normally contains some mucus -- a slime-like substance made by the intestines to keep the lining of the colon lubricated and moist.

But if you notice an excessive amount of mucus in the stool, or if it is accompanied with blood or a radical change in your dog's bowel movements, seek immediate veterinary medical attention. He or she will be better able to identify the underlying cause and recommend a proper course of treatment. Common causes include:

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Hello!!

Thank you!

does his belly look distended, is it soft or firm, does he appear to be in any pain?

keep us posted

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
does his belly look distended, is it soft or firm, does he appear to be in any pain?

keep us posted

He looks a bit bloated, but his belly feels normal. Everything is business as usual, minus the pooping!

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hi there. Please see below:

[h=2]What Causes Mucus in Stool?[/h]
Usually, you need not worry about seeing a small amount of mucus in your pet's stool. Dog stool normally contains some mucus -- a slime-like substance made by the intestines to keep the lining of the colon lubricated and moist.

But if you notice an excessive amount of mucus in the stool, or if it is accompanied with blood or a radical change in your dog's bowel movements, seek immediate veterinary medical attention. He or she will be better able to identify the underlying cause and recommend a proper course of treatment. Common causes include:

Thank you! Heā€™ll most likely go to the vet tomorrow. Still no pooping ā˜¹ļø

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello!!

Thank you!

Could definitely be a blockage.... might he have gotten into something he should not have?

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Could definitely be a blockage.... might he have gotten into something he should not have?

Itā€™s possible, but he has limited access to the house and is muzzled when outdoors. But, itā€™s still possible. The only thing throwing me off is how normal heā€™s acting. Still eating, drinking, and playing! Hopefully tomorrow the vet will let us know whatā€™s going on.

Thank you!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Itā€™s possible, but he has limited access to the house and is muzzled when outdoors. But, itā€™s still possible. The only thing throwing me off is how normal heā€™s acting. Still eating, drinking, and playing! Hopefully tomorrow the vet will let us know whatā€™s going on.

Thank you!

Blockage can sneak up on them.... please keep us posted and keep an eye for any sudden changes.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Thank you!

The thing with raw you still need to give some sort of fiber. Example as snacks, green beans, broccoli, any frozen berries, apples, pears etc. raw makes them poop hard n little tiny nuggets. Poop needs to be broken down.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Thank you!

How is your boy today?

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
The thing with raw you still need to give some sort of fiber. Example as snacks, green beans, broccoli, any frozen berries, apples, pears etc. raw makes them poop hard n little tiny nuggets. Poop needs to be broken down.

He gets a lot of veggies, berries, and fruit! Those are his treats and at night heā€™ll get his organs/tripe/kefir/fruit/veggies.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
How is your boy today?

We went to the vet and heā€™s getting an enema as we speak. Doesnā€™t look like anything foreign which is good! Iā€™m assuming he gobbled something down without chewing. Hopefully I donā€™t let lectured about feeding raw.

Thanks again everyone!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We went to the vet and heā€™s getting an enema as we speak. Doesnā€™t look like anything foreign which is good! Iā€™m assuming he gobbled something down without chewing. Hopefully I donā€™t let lectured about feeding raw.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Keep us posted... and donā€™t let them talk you out of raw! Youā€™re doing right

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Keep us posted... and donā€™t let them talk you out of raw! Youā€™re doing right

Haha thank you. I wonā€™t! Iā€™m assuming the same thing can happen for dogs on kibble?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
interesting... so now.................... what came out??

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online